Nats Cap Logo Concept

BallWonk

I know, some lucky photog at RFK seems to have this cap already, so this isn't original thinking on my part. I just wanted to see how it would look if the Nats ditched the Bob Short-era pretzel in favor of the traditional Washington block W worn from Walter Johnson to Harmon Killebrew, but with modern touches like slight serifs and gold beveling to match the team's current look. Like this:

nats-bevelWhome.pngnats-bevelWroad.png

nats-bevelWphotohome.jpgnats-bevelWphotoroad.jpg

I'd still prefer a DC cap on the road, but I would much rather the Nats wore a W cap in this vein instead of the Bob Short pretzel of betrayal.

20082614447.png

P.I.L.L.

Geez, I hope I don't deserve that insult. (Mods: are personal insults like calling people "P.I.L.L." allowed here now?) There's absolutely no eagle, no attempt to make an N, and none of the bombast that accompanies a P.I.L.L. concept.

However, I see now that I didn't quite capture the shape of the actual real-life cap in question, seen in the first post of this thread:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=35455

So I've updated my images to more closely reflect the mystery cap.

20082614447.png

The thing that sticks out the most to me about the "W" is that it's not the same as the one seen on their jerseys. The "W" on the front of the road grays has the flat bottom, while this one is just a regular "W" with the fancy bevel.

It's not bad alone, but it just doesn't match. That's the main issue that I can see.

The thing that sticks out the most to me about the "W" is that it's not the same as the one seen on their jerseys. The "W" on the front of the road grays has the flat bottom, while this one is just a regular "W" with the fancy bevel.

It's not bad alone, but it just doesn't match. That's the main issue that I can see.

That's an excellent point. My reasoning for preferring this kind of a W:

1. To my taste, the W from the jersey lettering looks like absolute crap when you just stick it on a cap. There is a reason most teams do not use the exact same letter shape on their caps as on their shirts.

2. The general shape of the block W, with straight angled legs that meet with flat horizontal bottom edges, is the traditional shape of Washington's cap logos.

3. The team's DC logo has slight serifs and still manages to match the aesthetic form of the team's logo and jersey scripts.

4. Even if the traditional shape and the DC-style serifs make this W not identical to the W on the road jersey script, to my taste it's a better match than the Bob Short pretzel.

20082614447.png

It reminds me of when Milwaukee just went with the "M" on the logo in the '90s. Not sure if thats a good thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I'll keep looking for that guy. Especially tonight, because I'll be in and out of the photo wells (the D-Train will on the mound for the Fish - so I can't miss that).

Side note to BallWonk (or anyone else for that matter):

Because I'm at RFK for every single Nats home game from this point on, feel free to PM me if you want to trash JimBo or get together or something.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Again and again and again, the people in Washington, according to people from Washington in these rooms, have said they associate with the "pretzel" W on the caps.

The problem, then, isn't the "pretzel" W. It's the wordmark on the jerseys.

Archived