CONFIRMED: Cubs Names Back in '07

utkash10

This was posted in the MLB Changes for '07 thread yesterday, with a link to Carrie Muskat's Cubs.com Mailbag (see question #8) from yesterday as well...

With that said, I said two years ago that at the time, I was torn on the issue, as I had just ordered a home pinstriped jersey with a name on it, but with a former players name, and a current players number (#16 and Hubbs for 1962 ROTY Kenny Hubbs who was killed in a plane crash in Utah 1964). I was glad to have the name to let folks know it wasn't a Aramis Ramirez jersey, but I like the look of the nameless unis. I do, however, agree that they should just make up their mind already. If the names are going back on, they should stay for good.

Moose

The jerseys would look good with names if they returned to the simple blue numbering / lettering (or blue with a whilte outline, just to make it clearer against the stripes.)

I never liked names on Cubs jerseys only because they looked too big with the red outline. The numbers on the nameless jerseys of the past two seasons looked great, but they should tone it down when they put the names back on.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Good move. You can't go nameless when your team has a bunch of nobodies.

The San Francisco Giants, should they ever feel inclined to start a youth movement and lower their average age below, like, 49, could also put names on the back as well.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Details from today's Tribune as to why the names are returning to the jerseys. In this context, the move makes sense...

Moose

As you mentioned earlier in response to this thread, I actually posted this in the "MLB changes for '07" thread, but I must say I had the opposite reaction as you. I actually thought their arguments made no sense. Just say "the fans didn't like it and we want to sell more jerseys" if those are the reasons.

What I posted in the other thread...

The Tribune reports on the Cubs jersey change:

(deleted repetitive link)

Not sure the arguments the team made are valid, though. One was that the old Wrigley scoreboard "isn't conducive to associating players with their numbers." Hmmm, yeah... the number shows up under "BATTER" and his name appears on the three-year-old LED screen under the old board. Tough to make that connection.

Another reason was "roster turnover." They didn't think of that when they took them off? Do the Yankees, Red Sox and Giants have roster turnover?

It does say "many fans didn't care for the move." Not this fan, but if the majority wants them back, well, they got it.

Details from today's Tribune as to why the names are returning to the jerseys.  In this context, the move makes sense...

Moose

As you mentioned earlier in response to this thread, I actually posted this in the "MLB changes for '07" thread, but I must say I had the opposite reaction as you. I actually thought their arguments made no sense. Just say "the fans didn't like it and we want to sell more jerseys" if those are the reasons.

What I posted in the other thread...

The Tribune reports on the Cubs jersey change:

(deleted repetitive link)

Not sure the arguments the team made are valid, though. One was that the old Wrigley scoreboard "isn't conducive to associating players with their numbers." Hmmm, yeah... the number shows up under "BATTER" and his name appears on the three-year-old LED screen under the old board. Tough to make that connection.

Another reason was "roster turnover." They didn't think of that when they took them off? Do the Yankees, Red Sox and Giants have roster turnover?

It does say "many fans didn't care for the move." Not this fan, but if the majority wants them back, well, they got it.

Yes, the scoreboard arguement is crap, but you do realize that the Cubs have used 13 first year players (Aardsma, Guzman, Hill, Marmol, Marshall, Mateo, O'Malley, Ryu, Theriot, Bynum, and Pagan, and you can include Murton and Cedeno in that number, because they had less than 100 games between them before 2006, and the average fan likely didn't know who they were) this season, don't you? Throw in 7 new-commers (Eyre, Howry, Izturis, Nevin, Jones, Mabry and Pierre), and that's half of your 40 man roster... When was the last time the Yanks, Red Sox or Giants had that much turn-over in one season?

Moose

I agree that this year they've had more turnover than normal, but if that's a reason, then once they get a team that stays together a few years do they switch back? "Everybody knows our team now," says cliched marketing guy. I don't think recognizing the names has anything to do with it, and here's why:

Most fans can't read the names on the back of a Cubs home jersey from their seats anyway. Of course, I'm an upper deck fan, so perhaps they're catering to the richer. At any rate, it's a white jersey with blue pinstripes topped by blue lettering with a red outline. Not even someone with 20/20 can make that out from most seats. It's to sell jerseys -- and make people who had a No. 7 Todd Walker jersey go out and buy a Ryan Theriot No. 7 if they want it, instead of instantly having a reusable jersey. (Or in other words, to outdate people's jerseys faster.)

And I should amend my earlier statement and say that the new LED scoreboards have plenty of room for more info -- just take down the Nike and Culver's ads that sandwich them 24/7 for a few seconds.

I could go either way with this but I really think the classic teams should NOT have names on their uniforms. (Dodgers, Yanks, Giants, Cubs, Tigers, Reds, Pirates, Red Sox)

That's fine, but what about teams like the Braves (along with the Cubs, the oldest pro franchise - how come they don't make your list?), or how about the Orioles? Just because they moved from St. Louis, they lost their "classic" label? That franchise's been around just as long as the Tigers and Yanks... The Twins are in the same boat as the Orioles, as are the A's... How about the Phillies? They've been around almost as long as the Pirates, who somehow make your list... Or how about the White Sox, or Indians? Who gets to make the call as to where that "cut-off" line is for what a classic franchise is?

Moose

Archived