White Sox Goin' Green Tonight

TheStoicPaisano

So why don't they wear them on September 17th or closer to that? It is still 8 days till then. They could wear them on the 18th against the Tigers.

As for the promotion, I like as I am 75% Irish. But the jerseys are horrible.

saBS.png

I really believe that this promotion is based on a University of Illinois event. U of I students--specifically the Irish Illini student organization--celebrate Halfway to St. Patty's Day, basically as an excuse to get hammered. It's always on a Friday, if I remember correctly. I'd never heard of any Halway celebration until I got to Illinois. But it's fun, and I think it's cool for the Sox to celebrate a huge portion of their fans' heritage.

The last two years, MLB has been pricks and not scheduled the Sox at home on September 17, although they apparently requested to be at home.

How DARE they not let you observe your imaginary holiday!

:rolleyes:

Maybe they should copy your Cubbies and give away American Girl dolls.

Hey, why did the White Sox have a Mullet Night promotion? I thought that was every night!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The last two years, MLB has been pricks and not scheduled the Sox at home on September 17, although they apparently requested to be at home.

Hey, why did the White Sox have a Mullet Night promotion? I thought that was every night!

Well, maybe the Cubs should have a "Get piss drunk, don't pay attention to the game, pee on the back of the seat of the person in front of you, talk on your cell the whole time and wave to the cameras, throw debris on the field, shout racist hate speach at your own players, and leave in the 7th inning" Day. Oh, yeah...

But it is good to see you showing your inferiority complex again. For a team you supposedly don't care about at all, you find a way to post ridiculous comments in every thread about them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That can't really be the promotion.

Remember, they did it last year too.

Might not look so bad with a darker shade of green and a black trim instead of white.

If it's not Kelly Green, it's not Irish enough.

What if they include a patch of a potato getting drunk off a pint of Guinness on the sleeve?

Oh, how I love making fun of part of my family.

201160034_f4c2ccdd98_o.png228795922_2c1d682c64_o.png

Well, maybe the Cubs should have a "Get piss drunk, don't pay attention to the game, pee on the back of the seat of the person in front of you, talk on your cell the whole time and wave to the cameras, throw debris on the field, shout racist hate speach at your own players, and leave in the 7th inning" Day. Oh, yeah...

But it is good to see you showing your inferiority complex again. For a team you supposedly don't care about at all, you find a way to post ridiculous comments in every thread about them.

Hey, I was perfectly content pretending that the White Sox didn't exist until last October when all these suddenly obnoxious fans started creeping out of the woodwork and being such a pain in the ass to deal with. I mean, they were awfully quiet those last three years when the Twins pretty much locked things up.

And you've got me on the hate speech. That's not the job of the fans, that's the job of the manager.

And you've got me on the hate speech. That's not the job of the fans, that's the job of the manager.

"Dude, I don't know nothin' 'bout no hate speech. That's just society. I got some letters from people, man. You can't expect this team to win without Angel Pagan at 100%. That's just how it goes, dude."

Every time I see Dusty on the bench, or worse yet, in front of a microphone, I feel genuinely sorry for Cubs fans. Your team got hoodwinked.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

"Dude, I don't know nothin' 'bout no hate speech. That's just society. I got some letters from people, man. You can't expect this team to win without Angel Pagan at 100%. That's just how it goes, dude."

Every time I see Dusty on the bench, or worse yet, in front of a microphone, I feel genuinely sorry for Cubs fans. Your team got hoodwinked.

I think he was talking about Ozzie "Sensitivity Training" Guillen.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

Furthermore

Get piss drunk,

This is every park, unless they moved Comiskey to Salt Lake City and didn't tell me

don't pay attention to the game,

This is every park

pee on the back of the seat of the person in front of you,

Maybe this just happened to you for wearing a Sox hat

talk on your cell the whole time

This is every park

and wave to the cameras,

This is every park

throw debris on the field,

:censored:s had it coming. Maybe we were "DEMANDING A WINNER"

shout racist hate speach [sic] at your own players,

Again, this is the manager's job, and I take it you reserve your hate speech for the other guys?

and leave in the 7th inning"

I see this in Los Angeles more often, and of course you guys didn't have anyone to leave in the 7th when the Twins were in first place from 2002-2004. Anyway, you have some nerve to paint all Chicago Cubs fans as drunken idiots who don't care about the game and not expect to get something in return. Especially when your team is the White Sox! I mean, it's not as if that crew doesn't have a list of stereotypes as well. You're trying to paint your fanbase as these brilliant dedicated fans who have the utmost respect for everyone in the game, are completely superior to the fans of all other teams, and better yet, this is of course the one park where their fans can handle their alcohol. (Smack dab in the middle of an Irish part of town, no less.) And that's admirable, of course, but come on, you don't think people are gonna buy that, do you?

Bottom line: Cubs fans are having a massive identity crisis. Up until the White Sox won the WS they were Chi-town's big attraction: the lovable losers. The White Sox lost too, but they were always background music.

Now the White Sox are world champs, and Cubs fans are panicking because their team's "claim to fame" looks pathetic in comparision.

Bottom line: If your team last won a WS during the Russian Civil War, you can't trash talk the fans of the cross-town rivals who are the reigning world champs.

Now, can we please get back to the jerseys? The green uniforms are wicked, all though I don't really get the point of "Half way to St. Patricks Day" thing....

Am I imagining things, or did the White Sox experiment with implementing some forest green into the color scheme back in 2004? Like on the website and the batting helmet? I could've sworn an ESPN Coming Up Next picture had a White Sox player in a black helmet with a green front wedge.

Am I imagining things, or did the White Sox experiment with implementing some forest green into the color scheme back in 2004? Like on the website and the batting helmet? I could've sworn an ESPN Coming Up Next picture had a White Sox player in a black helmet with a green front wedge.

In 2004 they had forrest green in the color scheme on the toolbar of their website. That was just because the park was changing from blue to green (the outfield walls became green, and some painting was done around the park, the seats didn't start becoming green until 05). Incase you didn't know, the majority of Sox fans have hated the blue color scheme, and were calling for a green park for a long time.

For last years promotion, the Sox did wear all-green batting helmets, but they were a little darker than the rest of the uniform. They may not have been forrest green, but they were not kelly. As for a green bill on a black cap, I never saw it. There were no talks about changing the color scheme in the last few years.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

US Cellular Field would be like a library if the team sucked.

US Cellular Field would be like a library if the team sucked.

You got me there. :rolleyes:

The Cubs fans and the Chicago media try to make attendance a big deal, but it isn't. No other baseball team would enjoy packed houses when the team is bad. It is simple - if you are good, people want to see you. If you suck, they don't. People don't want to see losing baseball. Remember when the Yankees needed to move to NJ because they "couldn't compete" in Yankee Stadium? Well, they started winning, and they go well over 3 million every year in attendance.

Wrigley Field is immune to the common sense rule because it is a bar and amusement park much more than it's a baseball park. People go just to see "beautiful Wrigley Field". It is a party destination, not a baseball destination. In return, management has no pressure to put together a winning team, people will pay to see whatever crap they put out on the field.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As a Sox fan, I really like the jerseys. It looked a lot better last year when they popped for the green batting helmets. On the plus side, Jim Thome was wearing green socks tonight. I think the look is very good for once a year, but I am content with the Sox' current look.

As for people badmouthing it, Chicago has a huge Irish population. Since St. Patrick's Day falls during Spring Training, the fans can't see their teams wear special jerseys. The White Sox have been doing this promotion for 3-4 years now. The last two years, MLB has been pricks and not scheduled the Sox at home on September 17, although they apparently requested to be at home.

Dear Old Roman-

So let the promotion take a break for this year. Hey we tried but couldn't get the MLB schedule makers to hook us up but let's come back next year with a better idea than this lame halfway to St. Patty's Day gaff...

I have a brilliant idea OR... look who was born on April 24th?

Of course, the South Side pope...

Hizzoner our beloved Mayor Richard M. Daley...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_M._Daley

Takes us a Cubs fan to do a Sox fans thinking for them.

We'll forgive them though.

Archived