Detroit Lions Concept

GFB

I don't like when teams with great tradition and pride re-identify themselves to some crappy new mark or add an unnecessary color. Actually, I HATE it. (Are you listening Buffalo Sabres???) Same case with the Detroit Lions......

The first and most obvious thing with this concept is the elimination of black. Why is it even there in the first place??? So what that they have an alternate jersey now? Not every team in the NFL needs or should have one. Black is a great color for the Raiders or the Falcons, but it is completely unneeded for a team with such great colors....

Secondly, I darkened the honolulu blue to they way it originally was. I find the shade they use now to be very annoying (especially with the poor lighting of Ford Field). The blue that they used when they played in the Silverdome looked so much better than the soft stuff they have now....

I also limited the amount of white used. In fact, I got rid of it all together. I think the silver on blue looks so classic, yet so sharp. Which leads me to.....

Grey facemasks. Some people hate them, but I think they look classy if done right. Plus, the Lions had grey facemasks for a period of time too.

Also, the white stripe on the helmet is gone, giving it a more classic look....

One controversial thing about this templete is the inclusion of the alt. away set with the blue pants. Personally, I enjoyed the blue pants during that one year they were in use. (I want to say 1999, correct me if I am wrong) I think they would be a nice change of pace, if used sparingly, perhaps only once a year. THERE WILL BE NO MONOCHROME WITH THE BLUE JERSEY (which would destroy the purpose of going retro in the first place)

Lastly, I brought back the Thanksgiving throwbacks. Nothing more needs to be said....

I would appreciate any C&C

GFB

Lions-Retro-Concept.png

To be honest, it's nothing special. I know you're trying to revert their look to old school, but I really belive what they wear now is pretty decent. As long as they get rid of the black unis, they are easily the best dressed in many views. Sorry.

Hmm.....

Maybe to deferentiate the regular from the throwback, as well as introduce some consistancy between the helmet and the rest of your uni package, try working the helmet stripe into the jersey / pants.

On the silver pants, try blue-silver-blue. On the blue pants, either have a single silver stripe (probably better option), or silver-blue-silver-blue-silver.

On the white jerseys, have a side-panel with blue-silver-blue that would flow into the pants, and on the blue jerseys, maybe a thin silver stripe, or something like my other option for the blue pants (though that may be a bit busy for a side panel.)

I get that you are trying to go traditional here, but this could be a good opportunity to fix the inconsistancy, while adding to the plain "charm" of your throwback.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

quick question, is there any difference between the throwback and home uniforms other than the helmet?

yes-the sleeve numbers are gone. Besides that and the helmet, no...

I really like the direction you've gone here, but I'd still tweak it here and there.

1. On the Thankgiving throwbacks, make the socks solid blue throughout- no whites

2. On the away jerseys make the collar blue, and put silver trim around the numbers, home blues are sharp just as they are

3. and I know you want a plain pant, but on the regular home/away uniform sets I'd put the same stripe on the pants as you've put on the helmet. Keep the pants on the alt and throwback as/is

If I may also suggest adding the Detroit city flag to the alternate uniform. Maybe on the hip of the pants. Just eliminate the seal in the center of the flag and replace with a lion logo.

Detroit Flag

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

As one of our resident Lions fan here, I've gotta say I've got some mixed feelings here. I love the simplicity of them, but it does seem like some sort of sleeve/pants striping should be there. I love the throwbacks, but I don't think they should be their primary home set(although you made minor changes). I'm also kinda thinking white shoes would look better here.

I love these. They incorporate every change I have wanted the Lions to make. The only thing I would tweak is to give the silver pants 2 blue stripes to mimic the helmet.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

A lot of the changes you made are NFL Properties Mandates such as the white outline for TV purposes I believe.

Also what is the big deal with the alternates, they are one of 2 or 3 teams allowed to wear four jersies and until the NFL brings the throwbacks back you will not see them

A lot of the changes you made are NFL Properties Mandates such as the white outline for TV purposes I believe.

I think what you are saying is that all teams must outline their numbers. This can't be a rule, but who knows. Here are some teams with non-outlined numbers (at least on their non-white jersey):

Oakland

Indy

NY (Giants and Jets)

Green Bay

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

My apologies if I misinterpreted the comment.

Well, it's time to give Version 2.0 a spin.

I added some striping to the silver pants to match the helmets, while adding a silver-blue-silver-blue-silver striping as Vet had suggested. Also, silver outline has been added to the road whites, among other minor changes....

Also what is the big deal with the alternates, they are one of 2 or 3 teams allowed to wear four jersies and until the NFL brings the throwbacks back you will not see them

I'm 99.9% sure that the NFL only allows for one alternate jersey per team. That's why the Lions wore their black jerseys on Thanksgiving last year...

Thanks for the C&C, keep it coming...

Lions-Retro-Concept2.png

I think what you are saying is that all teams must outline their numbers. This can't be a rule, but who knows. Here are some teams with non-outlined numbers (at least on their non-white jersey):

Oakland

Indy

NY (Giants and Jets)

Green Bay

Cleveland

Pittsburgh

My apologies if I misinterpreted the comment.

I'm pretty much in total agreement with you on this, but I had to point out that the Raiders are the only team on there who don't have white outline around the numbers on the darks because all those other teams simply have white numbers on their darks. ^_^

As for the updated set, the stripes complete it. I personally don't think you need to do anything else to the regular home and aways. This is great work. :D

its really boring add some stripping to the jersey like one the ones they have now.  add a outline to the numbers and maybe a wordmark to.

Why do you think the Thanksgiving day jerseys are so great?

didnt they wear the black jerseys for thanksgiving? and those jerseys sure arn't great

Archived