Sun-Sentinel: Girardi Firing Unfair but Necessary

rmackman

There's a lot going on about Joe Girardi set up to be fired by the Marlins. Here's an interesting article on it:

HYDE: Firing unfair but necessary for everyone

Published September 22, 2006

Joe Girardi's firing will be silly, nasty, unseemly, unfair, costly for a franchise that picks up pennies off the ground and sure to blow up on the Marlins like an exploding cigar when he's picked as Manager of the Year.

It's also something which trumps all that.

It's irrelevant to whether they win next year.

The firing is even necessary for both sides considering the Marlins' ship is smartly steered by General Manager Larry Beinfest, who has about as much of a working relationship with Girardi as sun does with snow.

Maybe you'd like to say this isn't so. Maybe you'd like to take Girardi's side in all this. And, it's true, all the rookie manager has done is help the Marlins to a surprising season and handle himself graciously in public even as team owner Jeffrey Loria has treated any mention of him like a boxing workout on a heavy bag.

Recently, even the Marlins-hired TV and radio announcers joined the party line, hitting Girardi with every silly second guess ("Why wasn't Eric Reed in as a defensive replacement?" "Why did he go to that reliever?") like it was some sort of public service.

Girardi took every hit and said nothing to the world. You should know his side gave plenty in private, though. Too much, actually. For instance, in the infamous August squabble that began with Loria shouting from his field-side seat about the umpiring, it wasn't Girardi's reaction that made Loria erupt, a Marlins witness said.

Yes, Loria was upset when Girardi asked him from the dugout not to yell at the umpires. But it was Girardi's bench lieutenant, Gary Tuck, that sent the situation into orbit and caused all the clubhouse commotion afterward.

"If you don't f------ like it, get someone else," Tuck shouted from the dugout to Loria.

Who talks to their boss like that, much less their boss's boss?

That snippet tells plenty about how this marriage has never been the Lucy and Ricky of baseball. Girardi backed up Tuck in the yelling afterward. And Loria probably sided once and for all with Beinfest that day.

It all seems so silly considering the season that played out. The Marlins surprised everyone. Shouldn't that be good enough for everyone?

Nope. Both sides have egos. And Girardi wants to control everything in a franchise where Beinfest and his scouting department run the show. So this really was a divorce waiting to happen from the day pitchers and catchers reported.

Knowing this, why did Beinfest hire Girardi in the first place? Simple answer: He didn't. Loria hired Girardi without so much as consulting Beinfest. And that's something you can bet will be a lesson learned here.

The players will be angry over Girardi's firing. You'd hope so, too. He worked, played, bonded and surprised with them over this season. But let's not get too carried away here. Marlins veterans were upset when popular Jeff Torborg was fired in 2003 and curmudgeonly Jack McKeon replaced him. How'd that one work out?

This gets back to the bigger issue here. Managers shouldn't be overvalued in baseball. Do you need some chapter and verse? Dusty Baker supposedly was smart with Barry Bonds in San Francisco and is now dumb with a hurt Mark Prior and Kerry Wood in Chicago.

The loss of Jim Tracy was going to ruin the Los Angeles Dodgers this year and be a boon to Pittsburgh. Only the Dodgers still win and the Pirates still lose.

You can play this game every year in baseball and any season. Do you really think Joe Torre got anything more than the richest lineup in baseball when he went to the New York Yankees with his losing managerial record and started winning titles?

Here's all the Marlins have to do: Not hire the wrong guy. There would be bad fits here. McKeon, bless him, would be awful on a young team like this just as Jim Leyland was awful on the '98 Marlins.

But if these young pitchers stay healthy, if Miguel Cabrera stays lethal, if Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla and Josh Willingham have similar years and -- here are the big offseason questions -- if the Marlins find a center-fielder and an improved relief corps, they'll be better next year.

And Girardi? Maybe he's Manager of the Year. That's one Loria and Beinfest will have a hard time living down nationally. Maybe he gets his dream job with the Chicago Cubs this offseason, too. After all, Baker is a dunce now.

As it is, wish him bon voyage. Both sides are better off for their parting at season's end. What's more, the next Marlins' season shouldn't be any worse off.

Dave Hyde can be reached at dhyde@sun-sentinel.com.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

There's a lot going on about Joe Girardi set up to be fired by the Marlins.  Here's an interesting article on it:
HYDE: Firing unfair but necessary for everyone

Published September 22, 2006

The firing is even necessary for both sides considering the Marlins' ship is smartly steered by General Manager Larry Beinfest, who has about as much of a working relationship with Girardi as sun does with snow.

Problem is, the sun and snow actually do work together.... to make water :)

Well, somebody has to go and it won't be the owner that's for sure..... too bad for the Marlins <_<

I saw, I came, I left.

The only thing left for the Marlins to do to drive off fans would be to hire Isiah Thomas as GM...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I would say the Marlins fans should do a protest like the Orioles fans did. The problem is that 12 people don't really count as a protest. Therein may lie the problem. The Marlins management figures who cares if the fans don't buy tickets because they already don't so we can't actually piss anyone off.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

What a shame. I've hated Loria since the Expos days and this just knocks him down further. Why do fellow owners put up with this?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

All this sounds good for the Cubs

You read my mind. What a sweet deal that would be.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Girardi's in game management is terrible, by this I mean he doesn't put the team in the best possible situation to win. The article outlined some instances, but there are A LOT more.

I'm glad the organization chose to do this.

Read around the two major independent Marlins message boards and you'll find most fans aren't very saddened by this news.

You can't have a GM (and now owner) and a manager at war.

For those who don't know, Loria was one of a few Girardi backers in the organization before the incident with the umpire. He was the middle man between Girardi and GM Larry Beinfest. When Girardi told Loria to STFU he was very disappointed, A) because he cursed out his biggest supporter and B) He did this in front of the fans.

Cubs fans, you've been warned. :grin:

1997 | 2003

What a shame. I've hated Loria since the Expos days and this just knocks him down further. Why do fellow owners put up with this?

Because they didn't allow him to go to Washington with the Expos and make a $300 million profit, so when he threatened to sue for violating antitrust laws they said "well, w/e sell us the Expos and we'll sell you.....um....let me see.....ok, the Marlins."

1997 | 2003

This is truly sad. MLB should've bought the Expos from Loria and then barred him from running any other franchise... especially one with the kinds of problems the Marlins face.

I cant figure out how he was ever allowed to own another team.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

He's done an excellent job with the Marlins, recordwise. But from hearing fans of the marlins talk, they don't like him too much. (of course talk to the right cardinal fans and you'll find LaRussa haters, and you'll find Baker Lovers in Chicago)

Anyway, I don't honestly think he'd make a great fit in chicago. Take away his playing for the Cubs. What do you got? A scrappy coach who gets young players to perform.

What are the cubs?

A group of veterans, some with decent egos. Yes there are some young players, but the pitching staff is still anchored by the Veteran M.A.S.H. 3 plus Wade Miller.

If I were a Cubs fan, I'd rather have someone else from the Marlins. The head of scouting or their GM to replace Hendry. Or the Twins head of Scouting. They have to go higher up than Baker to fix their woes.

What are the cubs?

A group of veterans, some with decent egos. Yes there are some young players, but the pitching staff is still anchored by the Veteran M.A.S.H. 3 plus Wade Miller.

... to sum it up in one word: LOSERS!!! :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Anyway, I don't honestly think he'd make a great fit in chicago. Take away his playing for the Cubs. What do you got? A scrappy coach who gets young players to perform.

Considering he was a coach and a player under Joe Torre with the Yankees, I think he would be able to handle a veteran club. He was able to get a good look at how a veteran club is handled.

He's done an excellent job with the Marlins, recordwise. But from hearing fans of the marlins talk, they don't like him too much. (of course talk to the right cardinal fans and you'll find LaRussa haters, and you'll find Baker Lovers in Chicago)

I have no problem with LaRussa as Manager 11 months out of the year. October now... :wacko:<_<

I wonder if Girardi's time with the Yankees didn't provide him with the best example of the relationship between Manager and Owner, which might explain what happened in Florida.

Girardi's a smart guy, played the right position for a manager (catcher), and I think he would be a good manager for the Cubs.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Anyway, I don't honestly think he'd make a great fit in chicago.  Take away his playing for the Cubs.  What do you got?  A scrappy coach who gets young players to perform.

Considering he was a coach and a player under Joe Torre with the Yankees, I think he would be able to handle a veteran club. He was able to get a good look at how a veteran club is handled.

You may be right about that.

I still think if you are the Cubs, Girardi as manager isn't the end all fix.

The other thing is, would the Tribune really want to deal with a guy that's had run ins with the ownership?

If he's right for the job, great. And he is a great manager, one I'd love to have manage my team. But all I hear is he's a great fit because played for the cubs, grew up in peoria, and he knows the "Cubs Culture." A losing culture. You aren't right for the job because you are from there or played there. Joe Torre spent his better years in a Cardinals uniform as a player. As a Cardinals manager however...not so great. He also played in New York as a Met, and managed there. Didn't do too good. Atlanta, same thing. Then he goes to a league he never played in, never managed in, and a city he barely had been in. Now he's a hall of famer and one of the best all time.

Now he's just one example, and you can throw Ozzie Guillen at me as a success. If I was right all the time I'd be a GM somewhere.

Archived