A thought about timing, change

DrBear

Don Walker in the "Business of Sports" blog at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Web site:

The Milwaukee Bucks unveiled their new home and road uniforms on Thursday night, and the early reaction seems to be positive.

A few months ago, the Bucks also unveiled an updated logo and replaced purple in the logo with a deep red. In addition, silver was added to the forest green color.

All fine and good. Sports teams do this all the time in an effort to look fresh and exciting to the sports consumer.

But here's what amazes me. Team officials say the process to transform the identity and look of the Bucks was a two-year process, "engineered" by National Basketball Association officials, Bucks management and league licensees.

Two years? Car companies, normally the stodgiest companies on the planet, can "engineer" a new car style faster than that.

It took the Milwaukee Brewers a long time to get Major League Baseball approval to bring back the retro jerseys. And we know the sad story of the chorizo, the newest member of the Famous Racing Sausages. Baseball granted the Brewers permission to debut the chorizo for one game this season, but ordered it back on the shelf until next season.

Uniforms, logos and mascots ought to reflect the times. If it takes two years or more to get approval, teams run the risk that fans will see the new look as outdated.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

If it takes two years or more to get approval, teams run the risk that fans will see the new look as outdated.

I think there is a greater danger in having a team rush into something that may be fashionable one year but is ridiculous the next. Don't tell me that in 1991 some team wasn't thinking of adding a little Zubaz to their uniform. On the sidelines was bad enough, but on the field would have been horrendous.

zubaz.jpg

Anyone ever actually wear Zubaz? The only people I ever saw with Zubaz were footballs players and professional wrestlers. That's about it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

you can't see something just released as outdated just because it took 2 years to complete. it will be fresh and new because once it is unveiled, the old identity looks outdated. it isnt like sports logos need to be up to date with popular culture or anything. the idea of the Milwaukee Bucks does not change depending on what Paris Hilton is doing, so a logo of a Buck can't really be outdated IMO, unless it is an old logo that you know has been replaced.

Anyone ever actually wear Zubaz?

The Orlando Predators...

17Andersonf.JPGCampbell55f.JPG

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It took the Milwaukee Brewers a long time to get Major League Baseball approval to bring back the retro jerseys.

I wasn't aware that was the holdup. I thought it was a question of Wendy wanting to put her stamp on it, and the new owner wanting to understand the market before making any changes.

If it takes two years or more to get approval, teams run the risk that fans will see the new look as outdated.

If the new look is outdated after two years, it wasn't a good design and the team shouldn't have adopted it anyway.

I like the idea of a "cooling off" period before teams make changes. And yet still the Cards were allowed to fall through the cracks - imagine what they would have come up with had they not been required to take a contemplative approach?

Don Walker in the "Business of Sports" blog at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Web site:

And we know the sad story of the chorizo, the newest member of the Famous Racing Sausages. Baseball granted the Brewers permission to debut the chorizo for one game this season, but ordered it back on the shelf until next season.

Didn't realize MLB had authority over the sausage race. I don't know the sad story of the chorizo either. Anyone know what happened? Thanks.

Apparently, MLB has veto power over team mascots.

The Brewers announced the new sausage before clearing it with MLB High Command, inadvertently passing the deadline for such things to be approved for the 2006 season. So they unveiled him at Hispanic Heritage Day (or whatever they called it), but can't use him regularly until next season.

So the Brewers "sent him down to the minors for more 'seasoning'."

Archived