Portland Winter Hawks new 3rd Jersey

Frylock

Just got an e-mail from the Hawks promoting thier games for the weekend. In that e-mail was a news flash to me, as I had not heard or read about this anywhere...

New 3rd Jersey to debut this Saturday

Jerseys and other new souvenir items are here!

The Portland Winter Hawks will debut a new 3rd Jersey this Saturday in a fun pre-game ceremony on the ice. The new jersey will be available at the Winter Hawks souvenir stand starting with the first intermission. Stop by and see other new items such as Mouse Pads, Dog Shirts and Bowls, Watches and Jersey Tees!

I have no idea if this is a pre-game/warm-up alternate or if it as an official on-ice third jersey. I am intrigued, no doubt, but also concerned. Consider the Hawks' alt jersey history...

2000/01 25th Anniversary Alternate

mitchellfront.gif

2001/02, 2002/03, 2004/05 Alternate

toewsfront.gif

2005/06 30th Anniversary Alternate

hawks30thgamer.gif

For what it's worth, these are all game worn Hawks jerseys from my personal collection. (bow):D

I will try to follow-up on Sunday with some pics of the new alts...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I'll be at the game tonight and tomorrow, so I'll get to see it for sure.... Hopefully, it doesn't have the stupid Blackhawks logo on it, because that's kind of keeping me from buying any Winterhawks merch.

My browser didn't let me see the pictures you posted, so sorry if this is repetitive, but the team's got an Ice Patrol-like picture as "new third jersey crest" on the Fanzone/wallpapers section of its website: http://www.winterhawks.com/index.php?optio...&Itemid=225

NewCrest-800-600.jpg

As a hawks fan I do like all of those jerseys, but the first one with the feathers, I wish I had gotten my hands on that one back in the day. I remeber thinking $125 (no name) was steep to pay for a jersey that will be worn for one season, but everytime I go to a game and see one it makes me wish I had one. How rad would a Hossa 81 jersey be? And although I doubt it will happen, it could just be the standard black jersey as the 3rd again (second pictured). I remember the season after the Hawks wore the 25th jersey the announced they would have a new third jersey, which ended up being just the black jersey, reintroduced as it hadn't been used the season before becuase of the feather jersey(and maybe 1 or 2 before that if I recal).

SEAsig.png

the middle-style black alternate with the weird new crest would be tolerable. but that '05-06 one is just...wow....

and whoever came up with the "welcome to hawkeytown" needs to be drawn and quartered. I hope they weren't a UO j-school grad *shakes head*.

harperdc.gif

Love all the comments in this thread! :D Of course, it's about my beloved Hawks, so it's all good...

hectic -- I'm curious as to your "stupid Blackhawks logo" comment. Is it becuase it's a PC issue, or do you think it's just cheap and tacky to copy an NHL logo?

Gothamite -- Yeah, they started doing that last season. It's kind of cute, but also kind of cheesey. Personally, I don't mind it.

oddball -- Ditto! I LOVED that last SLC sweater. If I can ever find one in my size and price range, I will buy it. That was a freakin' classic design.

benpc -- The "frozen turkey" sweaters were the first alts for the Hawks. The black alts were worn for the first time the following season. I too wanted one of the silver sweaters, and also felt they were overpriced. I desperately wanted Jomar Cruz's game worn alt, but it was given away in a chuck-a-puck contest, and I've never seen it since. :(

OMMF -- Sorry... Can't have the Klinker back! I thought you guys would never do a trade with us after the Bohonos deal...

firestorm -- Wow! I had totally forgotten about those Redmen... er... Red Storm unis. I thought they were cool back in the day, but now they seem so dated.

Anyhow, as promised, I have the info and pics of the new alts. Frankly, I'm kind of dissappointed. It's last year's template with the addition of the Portland text on the back hem as well as the front, the removal of the cartoon crest and 30th anniversary patches, and the addition of the standard crest and home version of the P w/tomahawk shoulder patches.

newhawksalt1.gif

newhawksalt2.gif

newhawksalt3.gif

Me thinks it's time to dust off some of my Hawks concepts and post 'em on the boards here... :)

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Could be worse. I was hoping they would come out with something new but at the same time kinda i'm glad it's just last years updated a little as I'll have to get myself a NLL All-Star game jersey when that comes through town in March and I can't justify a Hawks jersey as well, so. I gotta say I do like this years version better than last year as I wasn't a fan of the cartoon logo.

Fryloc, is there any chance they had a black alternate that was for sale to the fans only? I was about 14 when the Blackhawks style jersey was introduced and I could have sworn they had already done a black alternate with the P's on the shoulder. Maybe it was just me thinking they should as the blackhawks had done it and it worked well.

I saw this on the Hawks web site and I'm just re posting it for those of you who are Hawks/T-Birds fans to take a look at, its the Top 10 Hockey things to do in North America and the I-5 rivalry made it on the list.

Top 10 Hockey.

Speaking of the T-birds I'm guessing they will be busting out some Halloween themed jerseys as usual this Sat and Sun. I gotta say I love how they do this, gets fans in the stands with all sorts of cool one off jerseys to evny over.

In other WHL jersey news, I do think anyone posted that Everett has two new alternate jerseys for wearing on Saturday (since they switch up dark for the first half of the season and light the second half). They look good in the store pictures, but I'm not sure how I feel about them with the pants they have for some reason (too green maybe?), maybe the white will look better.

white20alt.jpggreen20alt.jpg

Hamill003.jpg

SEAsig.png

I saw this on the Hawks web site and I'm just re posting it for those of you who are Hawks/T-Birds fans to take a look at, its the Top 10 Hockey things to do in North America and the I-5 rivalry made it on the list.

Top 10 Hockey.

Speaking of the T-birds I'm guessing they will be busting out some Halloween themed jerseys as usual this Sat and Sun. I gotta say I love how they do this, gets fans in the stands with all sorts of cool one off jerseys to evny over.

Afaik, the only jersey we are having this year is the Saturday night 30th alts. There has been no other announcement made about any other holiday jersey like in years past. As long as we never do another 70's tye-dye one, I'll be happy.

Since we are all in here, Nov 3rd meetup at the Birds-Hawks game? Just an idea.

Love all the comments in this thread! :D Of course, it's about my beloved Hawks, so it's all good...

hectic -- I'm curious as to your "stupid Blackhawks logo" comment. Is it becuase it's a PC issue, or do you think it's just cheap and tacky to copy an NHL logo?

Neither, I'm from Detroit and I've been a Red Wings fan my entire life. So I don't want to walk around looking like I'm supporting Chicago, when I don't like 'em.

I think these jerseys are kind of cool, except for the crest. They should have put the P on the front or something.

Since we are all in here, Nov 3rd meetup at the Birds-Hawks game? Just an idea.

I would be down but I play on the UW Ice Hockey (well ok play maybe isnt the word, but suit-up and sit on the bench for games is a better way to put it!) and we have a game that night against Oregon....However, I'll be at the New Years eve game as always.

SEAsig.png

NYE works. It's been 12 years running since I haven't spent the last day of the year in Portland. Plus, that game is in the Rose Garden, so it might be a little easier to meet up inside instead of just saying "Meet me at the backed-up toilet" at the Coliseum. Clearly, way too vague. :D

NYE works. It's been 12 years running since I haven't spent the last day of the year in Portland. Plus, that game is in the Rose Garden, so it might be a little easier to meet up inside instead of just saying "Meet me at the backed-up toilet" at the Coliseum. Clearly, way too vague. :D

Lol sounds good, and last time i was there I was pretty sure they were down to about one bathroom anyway (maybe two) so it wouldnt be that hard would it?! For the record I tend to enjoy games at Coliseum more. I like the closeness you feel there in the smaller building. If it had a jumbotron with replay that would make it almost perfect.

SEAsig.png

Archived