Yay!

CrookedThumb

Any high school student (at least in my school district) can tell you about these stupid surveys we have to fill out every once in a while that they say will be sent to colleges. But I didn't know that colleges would actually respond. I'm only a sophomore in high school, and two colleges have already mailed letters to me expressing interest. I'm so happy!

ur gonna get a ton of letters over the next two years. sometimes they try really creative stuff too, one time i got a letter in an envelope that said it was from the miami dolphins. i got excited wondering why the dolphins were sending me crap, however i was dismayed to find it was just a clever marketing ploy by the dolphins "parter" nova southeastern university. enjoy the letters, you'll get a ton
Azzuri.gif

Congratulations on getting on the radar and yes, you will be getting many, many more just like them.  Any time you fill out a national survey at school or register for the PSAT, ACT, SAT, etc., you will get on even more lists.  Take it from someone who's been through it (likely a couple of years before you were even born), just because you are getting letters from colleges does not mean that you're automatically in.  Many of those colleges just want you to consider applying for admission.  Their purpose is threefold - first, obviously, to attract prospective students, second, to generate a high application rate so that they can drive down their "selectivity percentage" and look more exclusive, and third, to generate $$$ since applications usually require application fees.

That being said, I don't want to be a wet blanket.  Selecting a college is very important and the earlier you start hearing from them the more likely you are to have a chance to make an informed and well-reasoned choice for the right school for you.  Good luck!

So are these colleges at all intersted in me academically, or is it all just for financial purposes? Because I won't give them a dime unless I enroll. Well at least I hope I won't.

Your guidance counselor should be able to give you a better idea as to who sends out "shotgun" materials and who's really serious.  Another thing you can do is simply call the schools' admissions offices and talk with them about how you were identified as a prospective student.  Keep in mind some schools require certain classes to be taken in HS in order to be admitted or perhaps even to get advance credit.  This would be a good time to find out whether there are things you can be doing in your last 2 years of HS that will help you get into and possibly even ahead at the college of your choice.

well, ur gonna have to give em money just to apply. colleges have application fees ranging anywhere from $20-$60. but yes, other than that, dont give em any money til you enroll.

the range is more like $10-$100, maybe higher. we don't have any Harvard grads here, do we? anyways, Penn (yes, the Ivy League school) sent me some info + application, and i know the application fee was over $100-no joke. i figure the college mail will slow down, oh, midway thru your senior year...have a large garbage can ready.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

well, ur gonna have to give em money just to apply. colleges have application fees ranging anywhere from $20-$60. but yes, other than that, dont give em any money til you enroll.

the range is more like $10-$100, maybe higher. we don't have any Harvard grads here, do we? anyways, Penn (yes, the Ivy League school) sent me some info + application, and i know the application fee was over $100-no joke. i figure the college mail will slow down, oh, midway thru your senior year...have a large garbage can ready.

I was actually planning on applying to Harvard. Granted, my GPA was not what you would call Harvard quality but I wanted to see for myself whether I might be able to BS my way in or at least get an interview (remember, I was only 17 at the time). Interestingly enough, in 1985 the cost was $25.00 just to get them to send you the application package and then when you submitted the completed application it was an additional $125.00. I can only imagine what it is now.

In Britain there is a central University application administration system so you only need to fill in one form and it gets sent on to whichever unis you want to apply to. I believe it is the same fee for Oxford and Cambridge Uniersities as it would be if you were applying to go to Hull University for example. In my day I seem to remember it being about £16 ($20ish I think). But you only pay that once! Mind you you can only apply to I think 6 universities on the form, so you have to narrow down your choices a bit!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

back in 1990, harvard's app package fee was $50. my alma mater, lake superior state university's app fee was only $25 back then.

Well, either way you went, you were assured of seeing some good college hockey.  The Lakers were awesome in the 90's.

Oh, and Unimaniac, although I don't know anything about Flagler, I can assure you that Wash. U. here in St. Louis is an outstanding and rather exclusive institution.  NYU has an excellent academic reputation as well (to say the very least!) so you obviously must be rather bright (like all the rest of us Creamerboard posters -- right??!!).

Wow apply to college/university.... those were the days. In my case, there was a central system to apply to a cerrtain amount universities within our province (Ontario). Going over the limit would cost you money. I'm not sure what the process is now since the province changed the cirriculum. You had to send separate forms for each university as well. That's was it!

I remember Stanford sending me a information package at no cost, just to see how expensive it is to study there. I saw the campus a couple of years ago and I thought "No wonder it's so expensive!" I believe that there is an particle accelerator underground that is hundreds of feet long! :o

Here's some advice for all potential college applicants. SAVE YOUR MONEY and put in a fixed interest account like a CD or GIC!

I saw, I came, I left.

Here's some advice for all potential college applicants. SAVE YOUR MONEY and put in a fixed interest account like a CD or GIC!

...not if you're my marketing prof, who turned me off towards GIC's forever... his point was "how does it make sense to put your money into investments whose interest less than makes up for inflation?" Sounds like a ING Direct commercial, but it makes you think, don't it?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

...not if you're my marketing prof, who turned me off towards GIC's forever... his point was "how does it make sense to put your money into investments whose interest less than makes up for inflation?" Sounds like a ING Direct commercial, but it makes you think, don't it?

I'm not suggesting that these accounts are good if you are considering inflation. Although for a time the interest rate in a GIC was twice of that of inflation. Besides inflation was murder in the 70's and 80's. Hell, put it in some preferred stock or something like that. You might get a good divided. But if you are young and have some savings, then you might want to consider these accounts. At least you won't be spending money when you don't have to.

That ING guy? He is a $#&*ING moron, eh?

I've had these types accounts for about five years! Considering I'm 22 and will be graduating from university soon, putting these savings aside was, in my mind, a smart decision.

I saw, I came, I left.

I just got another letter today from NYU. Oh, and by the way the two colleges I got letters from 2 days ago were Washington University in St. Louis and Flagler College in St. Augustine.

My friend's sister is a freshman in college and he said that Washington University in St. Louis sent her a letter every week and was the most annoying college.

ua_logo.jpg

I'm just a sophmore, and I've gotten letters from Miami (FL), TCU, American University, UNC-Chapel Hill, Guilford College, Elon University, Tulane, & Washington University in St. Louis  :D

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Get ready for tons more. I'm a junior, I have a drawer full of stuff. Don't think a lot of it, it's basically all them trying to get your money. I've gotten stuff from...off the top of my head and stuff lying nearby...UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, UNC-Charlotte, NC State, UNC-Wilmington, USC, USC-Aiken, College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech, Miami (FL), Emory & Henry University, Winthrop University, Liberty University, Austin Peay, Wake Forest, Clemson, Furman, Ole Miss, Art Institute of Charlotte, South Carolina State (I don't think they know I'm white  :laugh:), Cornell (was surprised when I got that one),...and Washington University in St. Louis  :laugh:.

Realistically though, I expect serious scholarship offers from about 3 of those colleges. The other eleventy billion are just toying with my emotions.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Get ready for tons more. I'm a junior, I have a drawer full of stuff. Don't think a lot of it, it's basically all them trying to get your money. I've gotten stuff from...off the top of my head and stuff lying nearby...UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, UNC-Charlotte, NC State, UNC-Wilmington, USC, USC-Aiken, College of Charleston, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech, Miami (FL), Emory & Henry University, Winthrop University, Liberty University, Austin Peay, Wake Forest, Clemson, Furman, Ole Miss, Art Institute of Charlotte, South Carolina State (I don't think they know I'm white :laugh:), Cornell (was surprised when I got that one),...and Washington University in St. Louis :laugh:.

Realistically though, I expect serious scholarship offers from about 3 of those colleges. The other eleventy billion are just toying with my emotions.

some people reallt know how to kill someones fun!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well, I wasn't trying to kill anyone's fun...more "telling it like it is". I was excited when I started getting my first college stuff too, and people told me basically the same thing. I still feel proud when I get anything from any college though, and you guys (unimaniac/tarheel) should too.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived