Official Ohio State Vs Michigan Thread

HatManTC

Why should USC be ahead of Michigan? That doesn't make any sense.

I can't speak for the voters but here's my case...

I think that USC's non-conference schedule already puts them ahead of Michigan. Michigan beat a good Wisconsin team and an overrated Notre Dame team. (They also needed a late stand to hold off Ball State at home) Other than that, they haven't done much if you ask me. Then again, in fairness, who has Ohio State beaten besides Michigan? Texas turned out to be very overrated, Penn State isn't much, Iowa turned out to be nothing, they dodged Wisconsin (thank God!), and barely got by Illinois.

I've heard that if USC wins out they'll move ahead of Ohio State in the computer rankings. Looking at their schedule and who they beat, I don't have a problem with them moving to number one. If you want to just look at who has proven the most this season, if USC beats Notre Dame and UCLA I'd make the argument that they are the number one team in the country.

Ohio State's and Michigan's wins against ranked teams don't look as impressive now as they did when they won them. Texas has three losses. Penn State and Iowa are out of the top 25. So that's why I think USC should be number two (and I could make an argument for number one) over Michigan. It's also why I think a spot in the title game is USC's to lose at this point.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the one loss teams USC beat is now a two loss team. Arkansas lost to LSU. Also, I really wouldn't say Notre Dame is overrated, and I think they have a very good chance to beat USC tomorrow. I hope they do anyways. No matter who goes to the national championship game, there will always be other teams who also deserve it, that will be left out. Also, I believe Penn State is ranked #25 in the BCS, but not in the AP polls.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Why should USC be ahead of Michigan? That doesn't make any sense.

I can't speak for the voters but here's my case...

I think that USC's non-conference schedule already puts them ahead of Michigan. Michigan beat a good Wisconsin team and an overrated Notre Dame team. (They also needed a late stand to hold off Ball State at home) Other than that, they haven't done much if you ask me. Then again, in fairness, who has Ohio State beaten besides Michigan? Texas turned out to be very overrated, Penn State isn't much, Iowa turned out to be nothing, they dodged Wisconsin (thank God!), and barely got by Illinois.

I've heard that if USC wins out they'll move ahead of Ohio State in the computer rankings. Looking at their schedule and who they beat, I don't have a problem with them moving to number one. If you want to just look at who has proven the most this season, if USC beats Notre Dame and UCLA I'd make the argument that they are the number one team in the country.

Ohio State's and Michigan's wins against ranked teams don't look as impressive now as they did when they won them. Texas has three losses. Penn State and Iowa are out of the top 25. So that's why I think USC should be number two (and I could make an argument for number one) over Michigan. It's also why I think a spot in the title game is USC's to lose at this point.

I completely agree that USC's schedule is harder than Michigan or Ohio, but I think you are overstating it a little bit. The Pac-10 is REALLY down this year. Teams like Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, and UofA have had runs where they looked amazing, but when it comes down to it, they have all mixed together and have lost and beat each other in a really confusing mess. USC has had close games that went down the the last minute or two against Washington State, Washington, Arizona State and then lost to unranked Oregon State. There is no questioning they have stepped up their last few games but I don't see how you can have two teams with one lose, in which one lost to an unranked team and the other lost to #1 in both close games and you are going to give the nod to the first team.

I really don't see how you can say "if USC beats Notre Dame and UCLA I'd make the argument that they are the number one team in the country" when later you then said how Michigan beat an "overrated" Notre Dame team. If Michigan's win over Notre Dame doesn't count why should USC's?

Also, Michigan, I believe, beat a much better team than USC has in Wisconsin.

PopHeading-1.gif

I really don't see how you can say "if USC beats Notre Dame and UCLA I'd make the argument that they are the number one team in the country" when later you then said how Michigan beat an "overrated" Notre Dame team. If Michigan's win over Notre Dame doesn't count why should USC's?

Also, Michigan, I believe, beat a much better team than USC has in Wisconsin.

(Assuming USC beats Notre Dame) Take away the ND game from both schools. What would be each team's signature game? For Michigan, it's either a 3-point loss to #1 Ohio State or a 14-point win over current #10 Wisconsin (Who, apparently is ranked because they can beat 11 unranked, average teams). For USC, it's a 36-point win over top-10 (and potential SEC champion) Arkansas or an 18-point win over current-#23 (and potential Big-XII champion) Nebraska.

Michigan was one dumb penalty away from having a very good chance of winning the game.

and Michigan was One Dumb penality from losing that game by 10 not 3. That Pass Interference was a pretty shotty call being that the DB was turning to find the ball as he was hit by it.

I actually think that was a good call by the refs that the closest one hesitated to call. We can't have them all go our way. =)

Michigan was one dumb penalty away from having a very good chance of winning the game.

and Michigan was One Dumb penality from losing that game by 10 not 3. That Pass Interference was a pretty shotty call being that the DB was turning to find the ball as he was hit by it.

I watched the game I never thought at any point Michigan was going to win.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I completely agree that USC's schedule is harder than Michigan or Ohio, but I think you are overstating it a little bit.

Probably but I am simply trying to get people to look past the "Michigan getting screwed" angle and the "who beat whom by how much" argument. A win is a win period. When teams when close ones we hold it against them. Then when a team hangs 70 on someone we bitch that they ran up the score. USC played a much harder non-conference schedule than Michigan.

Notre Dame is overrated but it doesn't mean they suck or don't deserve to be in the top 25. They're a good team and it's a quality win for Michigan and USC should they win tomorrow night. What separates USC is they also beat a good Nebraska team, a good Arkansas team, and a good Cal team. Assuming a USC win tomorrow night....That's 4 quality wins against currently ranked opponents. Michigan beat Wisconsin and who else? Ohio State has two high quality wins. Michigan and Texas. So by my math that's 4 for USC, 2 for Ohio State, and one for Michigan. That's how I could make the argument. But as an Ohio State alum I'll settle for being number one and just live with it. :D

Look, everyone on the Michigan bandwagon keeps bringing up a three point loss to the number one team. If a loss is going to be accepted as an argument for a rematch then I think USC's quality wins should be accepted as an argument against a rematch. That brings the debate to this...Do we give more weight to a "quality" loss or four quality wins? I think it's reasonable to say that USC's 4 wins should count for a helluva lot more than Michigan's "good" loss.

So would someone please explain to me how a good loss should count for more than 4 good wins should? If you can do it I'll be glad to endorse a rematch.

BB52Big.jpg

That's the thing..Michigan wasn't #2 all year. They started out #14-15 (behind Florida State and Miami). OSU and Mighigan have only been 1-2 in all four polls (AP, Coaches, Harris, BCS) since Week 10.

Take away Notre Dame from both teams, and what's Michigan's biggest win? Wisconsin, a team who's ranked #10, even though the Badgers didn't beat any ranked teams throughout the year. I could go 11-1 playing this cupcake of a schedule.

That's the thing..Michigan wasn't #2 all year. They started out #14-15 (behind Florida State and Miami). OSU and Mighigan have only been 1-2 in all four polls (AP, Coaches, Harris, BCS) since Week 10.

Take away Notre Dame from both teams, and what's Michigan's biggest win? Wisconsin, a team who's ranked #10, even though the Badgers didn't beat any ranked teams throughout the year. I could go 11-1 playing this cupcake of a schedule.

Fair enough. But Michigan beat all the teams they were supposed to. USC lost to Oregon St. at home.

But Michigan beat all the teams they were supposed to.

All of them but one... :D

You know I was never a big fan of a playoff but this season has made me begin to question my position. In a year like this it's going to be a slightly tarnished championship no matter who wins it. If Ohio State wins then either USC or Michigan fans are going to say it's not fair because they didn't get a shot. Florida will have a legitimate gripe because they played a tough SEC schedule and were never given a chance. Oklahoma is one ref screwing away from being in the mix. Who's to say that Oklahoma doesn't have a real shot if there were a playoff? Or LSU or Auburn and so on. My argument was always that a playoff would diminish the regular season and the rivalries. Thinking about it I'd have to admit that the basketball tournament does nothing to diminish the UNC-Duke rivlary. Maybe it is time for a playoff.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived