A Little Tutorial

andrewharrington

With the technology of helmet templates spinning wildly out of control, I'm offering this short tutorial on warping helmet logos to a more realistic, spherical shape using Adobe Illustrator and your favorite vector helmet template.

1. The first things you need, of course, are Adobe Illustrator and your favorite helmet template.

one.png

2. Next, you need your logo and you need a square. See the image for the size relationship and approximate placement (Logo is about 1/4 the box and placed somewhere in the upper left).

two.png

3. First, select just the logo and group it together [Apple-G]. Then, select both the logo and the box and group them together. After that, select [Effect > Warp > Fisheye] from the menu.

three.png

4. I usually set the Fisheye effect to 80% bend, 10% horizontal distortion, and 10% vertical distortion, but it depends on the template, I suppose.

four.png

5. Press OK. Now, you want to use the white arrow (direct selection) tool and select just the logo, and not the box.

five.png

5a. With the logo selected, you can move it around in the box and get different spherical perspectives until you find the best one for your particular template. You'll have to eyeball it, so it may take a little practice.

six.pngseven.pngeight.png

6. After you find the best position, select the logo and the box again, and in the menu, select [Object > Expand Appearance].

nine.png

7. Now, select just the box with the white arrow tool and delete the box. Resize your logo to fit your helmet. You'll probably also have to rotate it a little to get it to look right.

ten.png

8. You're done. On a helmet with a steeper side, like the one in the center, you can do the fisheye transformation again, or move the logo all the way to the left edge of the sphere before you use the [Expand Appearance] command, or both. Do whatever makes it look most real. Then, save it for the web and show it to us!

eleven.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm sure you could do it in very much the same way, since the PS and AI interfaces are so alike. It might even be easier in PS, but you won't have the benefit of vector, of course.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I've been going a little less on the warp lately, to about 70% 5% 5%. I think it looks better.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of a free program that has the fisheye feature or something similar that I can use to warp the logos. I don't have illustrator on my new computer but I still would like to use some of the features it had. I have Inkscape but i not aware of it having this feature. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

yankees-1.png

• 1 year later...

Archived