My idea for NHL franchise shuffling

josh_cat_eyes

Nashville Predators - As much as I like their team, uniforms, logos...just everything, especially how well they are doing this year, the attendance just sucks. Fans don't care about them, and they are winning! They have thrown around the idea of, if they finish first place, having to potentially blacking out the playoffs so they can fill the crowd for games...that's sad.

OK i tried to stay out too long but now i gotta say some,yes we have do have attendance issues,but is not because we don't care in fact the complete opposite,the issues we have right now is that the corporate community not scoping up the lower bowl seat and in the jack@$$es in the marketing department for not doing their :cursing: jobs as far as marketing statewide,plus i read somewhere in another board that the Predators have one of the most generous lease deals in all of pro sports,so for them to because of that reason alone is completely ludicrous.And again the owner was NO intention of moving whatsoever,and i about had it w/ the sky is falling :cursing: .

Sorry guys,i had to get it out.

I agree with you.

BUT

Just because the owner HAS said he won't move the team, doesn't mean he won't.

Thier arena deal is the best I've seen. But if you are not bringing in Corporate dollars, you will feel that impact also. Maybe after so many years of it, they will decide it cannot work. Even with a sweetheart arena deal.

I doubt that will happen.

I will say this. A KC radio guy has told me that some big business guys in KC say a deal to bring the Preds to KC is already done.

I think that is ridiculous.

Though this came before Leipold came out and said they are not moving. Read into that all you want.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Jersey's arena is a crumbling dump in the middle of nowhere, with a bad parking situation and a mound of dirt and debris on one side.

That being said the Thrashers should be drawing 15,000 a game they got a good team.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

That's because Original Six teams won't move, you ass. Stop defending Miami sports at every turn and be a realist for once.

[sarcasm]But moving a team cancels out bad team management and will lead to wins somehow.[/sarcasm]

I will defend Miami sports to the end when I see fit.

For the record, I'm more of a realist than most on this board. Especially the "Move X Sun Belt team to Canada or Hartford" crowd.

1997 | 2003

Would the Panthers be on the move if so??? I do remmy one time after we lost the Jets, the Panthers were rumored to move to Winnipeg as well.. but that never came around.... could we see the Panthers move somewhere as well? That might be interested as I dont know how long the Florida Panthers will be around....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

That's because Original Six teams won't move. Stop defending Miami sports at every turn and be a realist for once.

Oh so a new team has below average numbers and they should be burned and thrown into some canadian :censored:hole, but one of the original six can't draw as much as a high school basketball game they are protected from any and all criticism?

You need to take a break and go into the real world, TCR.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

That's because Original Six teams won't move. Stop defending Miami sports at every turn and be a realist for once.

Oh so a new team has below average numbers and they should be burned and thrown into some canadian :censored:hole, but one of the original six can't draw as much as a high school basketball game they are protected from any and all criticism?

You need to take a break and go into the real world, TCR.

Let me take a shot at why nobody talks about moving the Blackhawks. Chicago is a pretty good hockey market still-look at the Wolves. It's just that Bill Wirtz has destroyed the franchise with his constant refusal to spend money, his inability to recognized that it is no longer 1965 in terms of available media, and...well...for his being a minion of Satan. The NHL and Chicago are pretty much waiting for him to die at this point. Let me predict what happens when that happens.

Ticker tape parade through the city day after his death.

Attendance shoots up the next season.

That's why Chicago is safe (That and the NHL doesn't want to pull out of the #3 media market)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's why Chicago is safe (That and the NHL doesn't want to pull out of the #3 media market)

But they won't go to the #4 market...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Houston is the 4th largest city in the U.S., but only the 10th largest media market. Nonetheless, it is the largest market without an NHL team.

Because durrr there's no ice there, so you can't play in your backyard, and its not a traditional market. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

GOOD ARTICLE FROM ESPN

The Penguins? Panthers have bigger problems

By Damien Cox

Special to ESPN.com

The fan base has dwindled, and there is no Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin to serve as a sexy marquee attraction to make anyone want to watch the Panthers. The sport seems to have no roots here despite the efforts of the Panthers' alumni association to provide grants to promising local players. Meanwhile, in Tampa, they are celebrating a local boys team that recently went to Canada and won a prestigious minor hockey tournament.

I had to laugh at that part. Being from Florida, and having spent some time around the youth hockey landscape - the Miami/South Florida area is without a doubt the leading area in the state, possibly in all the southeast as far as grassroots hockey, promising talent, and youth programs. (Even ahead of Tampa - the city that article defends quite often)

Hockey is doing fine in South Florida. The Panthers, however, are not. They just suck. If the Panthers started winning, South Florida would be back on the hockey map in no time.

Not to mention a large portion of Panther fans have been boycotting the team for years because of the bad management. They have some problems to fix that's for sure - but the location is not the problem.

As a Lightning fan I hope that organization gets back on its feet (but doesn't do TOO good :P ) so we can re-energize the Battle of Florida.

I am worried for Nashville though. Unfortunately for the great fans over there, the team gets very little corporate support (a problem that many former NHL teams have faced in the past like Winnipeg for example). It's one of the bad parts of being a small market franchise. Hopefully a deep run into the playoffs would get them increased popularity and in turn local support.

Archived