My idea for NHL franchise shuffling

josh_cat_eyes

I would not like to see any of these teams move but they all have some risk of doing so. IMO the Coyotes are probably the safest unless Wayne desides to sell. Next I would say that the Blues are the safest...at least for short term as the just got new owners and they are not going to give up on the team soo soon. After that I would say the Islanders 1 because they have a good history and it would be hard to move the team and i doubt the NHL would let them anyway. 4th I would say the Preds mainly because they have a new arena and are the only tenents in it (if they had lets say a NBA team the rink would still make money so it is going to be hard for the only thing that alows the rink to make money leave) 5th I would say the Thrashers. I would hate to see this team move but 1. They have never made the post season. 2. The owners are always fighting 3. They have bad attendence 4. They are loose money 5. There is another tenent (they hawks) and they arena would still make money without the thrashers. Things in their favor is that the arena is new and the fans that they do have are very good ones. Lastly I would say that the Pens have the most risk 1. because they have no arena and 2. because Mario is probably willing to sell. If they get a new arena I am willing to bet Mario stays or keeps a good part of the team. Also with a new arena I say they have the least risk of moving.

Cat Eyes - Josh B)

1. They're currently leading the division.

2. This will get resolved somewhat soon.

3. Attendance has grown each of the past 3 seasons, and draws more than the Devils, Islanders, Panthers, etc.

4. Do explain.

5. The Hawks lose money. The only way they get money is through the NBA's revenue sharing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a big year for the Thrasher in Atlanta they have a good team and should be in the playoffs, so they should be getting decent crowds, what are their latest attendance figures I have not seen them.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Here are some attendance stats for the "Relocation Candidates".

Capacity percent (out of 30 teams):

16 Pittsburgh 94.0

21 Atlanta 86.6

22 Nashville 85.8

24 Florida 79.6

26 NY Islanders 72.8

Average attendance (out of 30 teams):

19 Atlanta 16,067

20 Pittsburgh 15,945

22 Florida 15,320

23 Nashville 14,682

29 NY Islanders 11,862

Total season attendance (out of 30 teams):

20 Pittsburgh 350,794

21 Florida 337,043

22 Atlanta 321,351

26 Nashville 308,340

30 NY Islanders 260,979

Standings:

Nashville: 31-11-3 65 pts (#2 in West)

Atlanta: 25-14-8 58 pts (#3 in East)

NY Islanders: 21-19-4 46 pts (#9 in East)

Pittsburgh: 19-17-7 45 pts (#11 in East)

Florida: 17-21-9 43 pts (#14 in East)

taken from http://kansashockey.blogspot.com/

the guy who runs that blog is awesome.

Quite frankly, i'd like to see the Preds eventually make their way to KC. I did not like the potential loss of Pittsburgh as an NHL market (which I thought was more valuable than KC), but KC certainly trumps Nashville in terms of potential support.

Oh, and this guy seems to think that another NHL franchise is keen to take the next step out of town:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=2734128

Wouldn't it suck if it was Atlanta vs Nashville in the Stanley Cup Final? Wouldn't it suck if that was all that was necessary to fix all their problems?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Wouldn't it suck if it was Atlanta vs Nashville in the Stanley Cup Final? Wouldn't it suck if that was all that was necessary to fix all their problems?

Would that be the final straw that prompted a Canadian declaration of war?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Panthers are the ultimate Forgotten Team in sports. Time to go.

It seems sometimes that the franchise isn't even trying...

The nail in the coffin was when they left the Miami Arena (small, yes, but the venue had character, was loud, and was in Miami proper) to the middle of nowhere called BankAtlantic Center. Stupid move.

However, it does seem like the marketing folks for the Panthers don't even care. Who's running the show there?

The nail in the coffin was when they left the Miami Arena (small, yes, but the venue had character, was loud, and was in Miami proper) to the middle of nowhere called BankAtlantic Center. Stupid move.

However, it does seem like the marketing folks for the Panthers don't even care. Who's running the show there?

The reason for a move to Sunrise (Ft. Lauderdale) was to centralize the venue in the Miami metropolitan area. By no means is the area around the Panthers area is not in the middle of nowhere.

The reason for a move to Sunrise (Ft. Lauderdale) was to centralize the venue in the Miami metropolitan area. By no means is the area around the Panthers area is not in the middle of nowhere.

Then it was a bad miscalculation. I don't see the Heat moving out of the city in order to "centralize" itself in the metro area.

Then it was a bad miscalculation. I don't see the Heat moving out of the city in order to "centralize" itself in the metro area.

Agreed completely with everything you have said.

Sunrise might be the geographic center of the South Fla area, but Downtown Miami is the economic and increasingly the social center of South Fla. Come 4 or 5 years when all the massive highrises and commercial buildings are completed, the Panthers will really regret the move north.

The arena is a half mile from the Everglades. That ladies and gentlemen is the middle of nowhere.

1997 | 2003

I think it's safe to say that the Islanders and Blues are more than 100% sure they will stay in their respectful cities. I believe the Penguins will also work out a deal to stay in Pittsburgh before this season is over. They may NOT be able to get the arena completed by then, but I'm almost wondering if they will make a deal where they will host some of their games at another location until the arena is finished. As for teams I think will eventually relocate, here's my list:

Florida Panthers - Since they lost in the finals to the Avalanche, they have fallen off the face of the NHL and the entire sports community. Florida doesn't even know they have a hockey team, let them move to Canada or Kansas City and bring back the scouts.

San Jose Sharks - Lets face it, sports out on the west coast seem to move around...a lot. Not saying they will leave Cali, but I'm thinking something along the lines of the Anaheim Angels of California...and Oakland, San Fran, San Diego...you get the idea.

Nashville Predators - As much as I like their team, uniforms, logos...just everything, especially how well they are doing this year, the attendance just sucks. Fans don't care about them, and they are winning! They have thrown around the idea of, if they finish first place, having to potentially blacking out the playoffs so they can fill the crowd for games...that's sad.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

San Jose Sharks - Lets face it, sports out on the west coast seem to move around...a lot. Not saying they will leave Cali, but I'm thinking something along the lines of the Anaheim Angels of California...and Oakland, San Fran, San Diego...you get the idea.

The HP Pavilion isn't that old. How long term are you talking.? :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Agreed completely with everything you have said.

Sunrise might be the geographic center of the South Fla area, but Downtown Miami is the economic and increasingly the social center of South Fla. Come 4 or 5 years when all the massive highrises and commercial buildings are completed, the Panthers will really regret the move north.

The arena is a half mile from the Everglades. That ladies and gentlemen is the middle of nowhere.

Amen. It really seems like downtown Miami is positioning itself as a mecca of finance and industry in the region. The Panthers missed the boat by going suburban when the true trend is actually the reverse.

Nashville Predators - As much as I like their team, uniforms, logos...just everything, especially how well they are doing this year, the attendance just sucks. Fans don't care about them, and they are winning! They have thrown around the idea of, if they finish first place, having to potentially blacking out the playoffs so they can fill the crowd for games...that's sad.

OK i tried to stay out too long but now i gotta say some,yes we have do have attendance issues,but is not because we don't care in fact the complete opposite,the issues we have right now is that the corporate community not scoping up the lower bowl seat and in the jack@$$es in the marketing department for not doing their :cursing: jobs as far as marketing statewide,plus i read somewhere in another board that the Predators have one of the most generous lease deals in all of pro sports,so for them to because of that reason alone is completely ludicrous.And again the owner was NO intention of moving whatsoever,and i about had it w/ the sky is falling :cursing: .

Sorry guys,i had to get it out.

Word of advice: Don't EVER bring this up.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived