My idea for NHL franchise shuffling

josh_cat_eyes

I have been paying attention to the Pens deal lately and from what I hear they are staying. Well if they are staying then why will there be a new arena in KC (Kansas City) in september? Also Oklahoma City, Portland, Huston, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Quebec City, Seatle and Las Vegas could be possible locations for teams. I know just as well as anyone here that betman is not expanding so how will any of these cities get teams? Well the future of the Atlanta Thrashers is not certain as the owners are in a massive conflict. Also Nashlive doesn't look like long term stablility either. Other teams may be the Panthers, Islanders, and Blues. I am not confirming anything but I am willing to bet that next season KC will have either a NBA or NHL team and within 2-3 years 3-4 of the other mentioned cities will have teams. If you want to hear some good talk about these ideas listen to a podcast of Primetime Sports or watch/Listen it on Rogers Sportsnet/The Fan 590.

Cat Eyes - Josh B)

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who says there will be a team in Kansas City next year? I doubt anyone's moving anywhere, including Pittsburgh.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Blues and the arena also were sold together in the same deal.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Sprint Center is going to open anyway. They have the Big 12 Basketball Tournament, and the city needed a replacement to Kemper Arena to keep that event on a regular basis regardless. OP, you act as if the building was specifically to attract an NHL/NBA team, that is partially true, but it is also replacing a 30+ year old facility.

I have been paying attention to the Pens deal lately and from what I hear they are staying. Well if they are staying then why will there be a new arena in KC (Kansas City) in september?

You are aware that the NHL has absolutely nothing to do with another city building a new arena? Even Kansas City, when building the arena, had to accept the possibility that they may never get another NHL team ever.
Also Nashlive doesn't look like long term stablility either. Other teams may be the Panthers, Islanders, and Blues.
HUH?

Would you please stop trying to pass off absolute bull:censored: as if it is definately going to happen? You have this really bad habit of doing it a LOT.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I have been paying attention to the Pens deal lately and from what I hear they are staying. Well if they are staying then why will there be a new arena in KC (Kansas City) in september? Also Oklahoma City, Portland, Huston, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Quebec City, Seatle and Las Vegas could be possible locations for teams. I know just as well as anyone here that betman is not expanding so how will any of these cities get teams? Well the future of the Atlanta Thrashers is not certain as the owners are in a massive conflict. Also Nashlive doesn't look like long term stablility either. Other teams may be the Panthers, Islanders, and Blues. I am not confirming anything but I am willing to bet that next season KC will have either a NBA or NHL team and within 2-3 years 3-4 of the other mentioned cities will have teams. If you want to hear some good talk about these ideas listen to a podcast of Primetime Sports or watch/Listen it on Rogers Sportsnet/The Fan 590.

Cat Eyes - Josh B)

Do you have some source as to the 'woes' that face the Panthers, Islanders and Blues? or something on the stability of the Preds? if not, this thread is just a problem waiting to happen

My guesses for teams that "COULD" move. Not meaning they will. These are teams that could be eligible to move.

Florida (Operate but do not own arena)

Pittsburgh (New arena pending, KC made bid)

Atlanta (Atlanta Spirit, LLC bought in 2004. Own and operate arena)

Nashville (Operate but do not own arena. Recent issues with City on Arena up keep)

NY Islanders (New arena pending. Low attendance)

Today in the Tennessean they talked about the Preds woes.

Here is the summary from my blog.

Nashville Preadtors owner Craig Leipold has stated recently that he wants to sell about 40% of his teams share.

This comes days after a crowd of less than 12,000 watched the Predators beat Anaheim in a match-up of the top two teams in the Western Conference.

?Attendance has been an issue for six or seven years,?? Leipold said. ?I think our players were very disappointed in attendance when the number one team is playing the number two team in the league. That hadn?t happened in our history and it doesn?t happen that often in the NHL.?

The Predators are currently averaging around 14,700 fans per game, but Leipold said paid attendance is usually about 1,500 less per contest. The 14,700 figure ranks 23rd out of 30 teams in the NHL.

He said that for the 2007-08 season, the Predators must average 13,200 in paid attendance (which doesn?t include complimentary tickets) or they will miss out on 25 percent of the league?s revenue-sharing plan.

And in 2008-09, the Predators must average 14,000 in paid attendance or they will miss out on 50 percent of the league?s revenue-sharing plan.

Leipold said he has periodically looked into local ownership possibilities over the years, but said that he isn?t heavily involved with any candidates at present.

Recently rumors have stated that the Predators might be looking at Kansas City, Missouri as a relocation possibility.

This comes half a year before the Predators may have the right to put the city on notice that weak attendance means the club can exercise an out-clause in its 30-year lease on Gaylord Entertainment Center and move to another city if things aren't fixed before the 2008-09 season.

In today's Tennessean Leipold addressed the Kansas City rumors.

"There's no way we're going to Kansas City," Leipold said. "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in the world. There's nothing going on. This is the Nashville Predators franchise, and that's where we want it to be."

If Tim Leiweke hasn't at least picked up the phone and called Leipold, I'd be dissapointed. From what I've read, some of the problem in Nashville is corporate support. Something that was said to be real strong when the Penguins vistied Kansas City.

I think it is clear this situation needs to be watched. Leipold may not looking to move, but you never know in this crazy world of sports.....

http://kansashockey.blogspot.com/

My guesses for teams that "COULD" move. Not meaning they will. These are teams that could be eligible to move.

Florida (Operate but do not own arena)

Pittsburgh (New arena pending, KC made bid)

Atlanta (Atlanta Spirit, LLC bought in 2004. Own and operate arena)

Nashville (Operate but do not own arena. Recent issues with City on Arena up keep)

NY Islanders (New arena pending. Low attendance)

Today in the Tennessean they talked about the Preds woes.

Here is the summary from my blog.

Nashville Preadtors owner Craig Leipold has stated recently that he wants to sell about 40% of his teams share.

This comes days after a crowd of less than 12,000 watched the Predators beat Anaheim in a match-up of the top two teams in the Western Conference.

?Attendance has been an issue for six or seven years,?? Leipold said. ?I think our players were very disappointed in attendance when the number one team is playing the number two team in the league. That hadn?t happened in our history and it doesn?t happen that often in the NHL.?

The Predators are currently averaging around 14,700 fans per game, but Leipold said paid attendance is usually about 1,500 less per contest. The 14,700 figure ranks 23rd out of 30 teams in the NHL.

He said that for the 2007-08 season, the Predators must average 13,200 in paid attendance (which doesn?t include complimentary tickets) or they will miss out on 25 percent of the league?s revenue-sharing plan.

And in 2008-09, the Predators must average 14,000 in paid attendance or they will miss out on 50 percent of the league?s revenue-sharing plan.

Leipold said he has periodically looked into local ownership possibilities over the years, but said that he isn?t heavily involved with any candidates at present.

Recently rumors have stated that the Predators might be looking at Kansas City, Missouri as a relocation possibility.

This comes half a year before the Predators may have the right to put the city on notice that weak attendance means the club can exercise an out-clause in its 30-year lease on Gaylord Entertainment Center and move to another city if things aren't fixed before the 2008-09 season.

In today's Tennessean Leipold addressed the Kansas City rumors.

"There's no way we're going to Kansas City," Leipold said. "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in the world. There's nothing going on. This is the Nashville Predators franchise, and that's where we want it to be."

If Tim Leiweke hasn't at least picked up the phone and called Leipold, I'd be dissapointed. From what I've read, some of the problem in Nashville is corporate support. Something that was said to be real strong when the Penguins vistied Kansas City.

I think it is clear this situation needs to be watched. Leipold may not looking to move, but you never know in this crazy world of sports.....

http://kansashockey.blogspot.com/

Just trying to compare text, but this was posted in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Sports/Business blog earlier today:

FRIDAY, Jan. 12, 2007, 9:50 a.m.

Leipold making moves in Nashville

Craig Leipold of Racine, who owns the Nashville Predators of the National Hockey League, said this week that he is looking for local investors in Nashville to buy up to 40% of the team.

Leipold told the Tennessean that more local ownership might be able to inject some new life into the franchise.

Leipold said attendance for Predators' games has been "an issue" for a number of years. The team has not earned a profit since the 1999-2000 season.

Leipold's comments make sense. He told the newspaper he had no intention of moving the franchise, but simply wanted to see if there was some interest in local ownership.

Leipold's name comes up often in Milwaukee when people talk about the possibility that U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl (D-Wis.) might sell the Milwaukee Bucks some day. Leipold has the financial wherewithal to buy Kohl's team. In addition, his local ties would convince Kohl that Leipold wants the Bucks to stay put.

It's where I sit.

The Islanders aren't going anywhere. First off they have local ownership who doesn't want to move the team. Second and more importantly they have one of the largest cable deals in the league that no other network in another city would probably be able to match. They are better off negotiating with the county to renovate the arena. That way they can get both a new arena and large tv deal.

Atlanta is also not going anywhere. With a new arena the league is not going to let a team leave a market the size of Atlanta. This isn't 20 years ago.

The Islanders aren't going anywhere. First off they have local ownership who doesn't want to move the team. Second and more importantly they have one of the largest cable deals in the league that no other network in another city would probably be able to match. They are better off negotiating with the county to renovate the arena. That way they can get both a new arena and large tv deal.

Atlanta is also not going anywhere. With a new arena the league is not going to let a team leave a market the size of Atlanta. This isn't 20 years ago.

Agreed. Just listed those as the only ones fit the criteria.

What gets me is that the Nashville market was never clamoring for an NHL franchise to begin with. The attendance is right around what I thought the area would support. And now they're shocked? Someone didn't do their due diligence in the area. It's football and nascar country. Period.

Devils almost moved there. Scary.

1) Is there an NHL team that didn't contemplate moving in the late 90s? :P

2) Is there a place the Devils didn't almost move to?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived