LA Galaxy MLS

brianphilly

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...m.qa/index.html

a Q&A with AEG's CEO, Tim Leiweke:

2. Why should fans hold off buying a green-and-gold Galaxy jersey with Beckham's name on the back?

Simple answer: because Becks will never wear green and gold with the Galaxy. The team is deep into the process of rebranding itself with new colors, a new shield and new uniforms. "We made a decision that it was time to start thinking through how we create a more worldly brand," Lewieke says. "We have a good name. Galaxy works. But we need a more legendary, traditional kind of look that's more of a soccer look."

Leiweke predicts the new jerseys will be available in the next two months. What color will they be? "The last time I checked, when you're looking at a Galaxy it's not green or yellow. It's either black or dark blue," Leiweke says. Galaxy GM Alexi Lalas is more specific: "When I think of the Galaxy I think of dark blue."

Then there's the issue of a shirt sponsor, which MLS rules are allowing for the first time this season. Leiweke had said two companies were in the running last Thursday, but he told me on Friday that a third company was now in the mix for what will surely be a multi-million-dollar sponsorship. A deal will be made in the next 30 days, he said, and probably sooner rather than later.

I saw, I came, I left.

its pretty obvious this was coming. There is big money riding on this kit. Ther is no way Adidas and MLS let the old colors stay. The LA Galaxy jersey will now be one of the top sellers world wide. im sorry but green and yellow is not an apealing color combo to the mass market. new logo and colors was iminent, just as it was when Gretzky came to the LA Kings.

It's not that green and gold are bad colour sets.

It's that, as pointed out in that article and got me thinking, green and gold do not match with the team name.

Yeah, but how many forest green eagles, or blue and orange broncos do you see? Colours matching team nicknames, at least as far as North American sports go, has never really been an issue.

It's about time the LA Galaxy changed their color scheme. The green and gold was disgusting. I also don't like the fact that the colors had hardly anything to do with outer space. I like to see this new color scheme LA's getting.

Green and gold is not marketable worldwide?

Has anyone told Brazil about this? Probably the #1 jersey in the world, the greatest soccer tradition in the

world is Brazil. The Galaxy should embrace the Green and gold. If Real Salt Lake can wear Spain jerseys, and Colorado can imitate a British club, the Galaxy should jump on the Brazil bandwagon and market the living daylights out of Green and Gold.

Sorry, colors don't sell jerseys, tradition does.

Brazil can sell Green-yellow.

Real Madrid can sell white with lavender (merengue)

Lakers can sell purple and yellow.

Yankees can sell navy and dull grey.

Trust me if Wyoming had Notre Dame's history, we would all have a brown and gold jersey in our closets.

its pretty obvious this was coming. There is big money riding on this kit. Ther is no way Adidas and MLS let the old colors stay. The LA Galaxy jersey will now be one of the top sellers world wide. im sorry but green and yellow is not an apealing color combo to the mass market. new logo and colors was iminent, just as it was when Gretzky came to the LA Kings.

Big difference, Gretzky arrived at the prime of his career. Beckham's a shell of his old self, and he's been that way for quite some time. The "cult of Beckham" that was rampant in the late 90s is dead. I'd be shocked if this gives the MLS anything long-lasting.

One of the reasons they list for the change seems weak to me- "We wanted a more traditional soccer look" Isn't that why they added the diagonal stripe on the front reminiscent of South American clubs?

Its fine if you want to change your look just don't use the same reason for changing twice.

Unlike Alexi Lalas, when I think Galaxy I think of the British/European candy bar marketed by Mars:

200px-Galaxt150GMWrapper.jpg

fade.gif

The "cult of Beckham" that was rampant in the late 90s is dead.

Only time will tell - you might be surprised.

I'd be shocked if this gives the MLS anything long-lasting.

I think the most interesting thing that could come from this could be that MLS starts to look like an option to other world footballers.

Beckham had other options. He had an offer from AC Milan, and he decided to come here. Regardless of the reason, he decided to come to MLS. Perhaps now other internationals might consider MLS as a more legitimate option to extend their careers.

right. I'd honestly see them come to the United States than, say, the Middle East or Japan. Certainly the US has the chance to become a bigger league eventually than either of those, and (at least in the choice of following the oil money) would probably be a MUCH nicer living situation more reminiscent of what they're used to.

while Beckham's moving to LA, his former Madrid compatriot, Luis Figo, is moving to Al Itthihad (sc) in Saudi.

harperdc.gif

Alot of Internationals come to Australia to play in the new leagues 2 seasons, we've had the likes of Dwight Yorke and Romario playing, and some handy Sth Americans. Socceroos such as Lazaridis, Vidmar, Muscat, Thompson and Covic.

The thing with the Middle East is thatthere is money in the leagues over there and not here (maximum salary is $200Kp/yr= more than the average Australian (and above average) but a lot less than leagues around the world). If I was a soccer player, I'd play in Melbourne Victory for the lifestyle of only playing 25 games a year, biggest club in Australia, averaging crowds of 27-50K range.

Yeah, but how many forest green eagles, or blue and orange broncos do you see? Colours matching team nicknames, at least as far as North American sports go, has never really been an issue.

Well I've never seen a Bronco so I wouldn't know. They would be grey of the top of my head.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

• LMU locked this topic

Archived