Oh Canada at NHL All-Star Game

DelayedPenalty

Kinda the American version of the Edmonton clip,

Eh, I don't know, I don't like that one much. I think if there's a version of the National Anthem that's as powerful as the Edmonton version of 'Oh Canada!' (I'm not even Canadian and that gives me chills) it would be Whitney Houston singing at Super Bowl XXV-- to me, anyway. That seems to be the one that people remember the most. I don't know, I don't particularly like the constant cheering during the Anthem in the one you shared.

Well, I did say the kinda American version, and I'll agree it doesn't really hold a candle to Edmonton's, but for the Star Spangled Banner, its a step up from the usual time to find your seat and walk around with your hat on your head. I didn't personally remember that anthem, and Whitney's stuck out more in my mind, but thought it was an interesting find nonetheless...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda the American version of the Edmonton clip,

Eh, I don't know, I don't like that one much. I think if there's a version of the National Anthem that's as powerful as the Edmonton version of 'Oh Canada!' (I'm not even Canadian and that gives me chills) it would be Whitney Houston singing at Super Bowl XXV-- to me, anyway. That seems to be the one that people remember the most. I don't know, I don't particularly like the constant cheering during the Anthem in the one you shared.

Well, I did say the kinda American version, and I'll agree it doesn't really hold a candle to Edmonton's, but for the Star Spangled Banner, its a step up from the usual time to find your seat and walk around with your hat on your head. I didn't personally remember that anthem, and Whitney's stuck out more in my mind, but thought it was an interesting find nonetheless...

I'll give you that. It's rare to find a National Anthem in which the crowd cheers the whole time. Great find, though. I, personally, find the Whitney Houston version to be a more powerful version, which is kind of what i get out of the Edmonton version, If that makes sense.

IUe6Hvh.png

I agree, that's what I like about the Edmonton clip.

There's just this primal essence to it. No vibrato, no flair, just 17,000 hockey fans bellowing out their anthem. And it sounds so deep and vibrant.

Let's see if other Canadian teams will follow suit. Calgary could pull it off. Ottawa, Montreal (bilingual version), and Vancouver, too.

Toronto can barely get louder than the air-conditioner in the ACC. I love the Leafs, but can we PLEASE make some room in there for the real fans?

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

People need to learn:

That never fails to send chills up and down my spine.

Holy poo! That's awesome.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wish they still showed the National Anthems on TV for all sports events. Too often they skip over it for commercials. I remember how cool it was when the Rangers played the Canucks in the Stanley Cup Finals and they would perform both anthems to a super-loud arena. I also remember the fans being very respectful on both sides of the others' anthem -- something which fans of today need to try and emulate.

Archived