Colorado Rapids now the Colorado Arsenal?

roxfan00

I remember reading somewhere that while Colorado Arsenal was discussed as a new name it was ultimitely rejected. Now maybe that Colorado Arsenal logo was only made when discussions were going on and we have been going on about nothing.

That's what I had heard as well.

Maybe this is nothing more than a discarded logo their web designers left up when playing around with the new page.

We'll see.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody posted this email response from the club on BigSoccer:

Thanks for your email.

There have been some erroneous reports in the local media recently; rest assured that the Colorado Rapids have not announced any name changes to our club, and any reports out there are fictitious and unsupported by any valid sources.

I encourage you to stay tuned to www.ColoradoRapids.com over the next few days as we reveal the Rapids? new identity for 2007, I think it will help clear up any confusion and that our fans will be very excited by the announcements we have to make.

Thanks,

Who knows any more? They definitely got the domain names, but according to what I've read Arsenal FC holds trademarks on the name "Arsenal" as it relates to pretty much everything soccer. Amateur teams are one thing, but a professional team?

I still suspect that the "leak" was an old potential design, never taken down.

Somebody posted this on BigSoccer:

Thanks for your email.

There have been some erroneous reports in the local media recently; rest assured that the Colorado Rapids have not announced any name changes to our club, and any reports out there are fictitious and unsupported by any valid sources.

I encourage you to stay tuned to www.ColoradoRapids.com over the next few days as we reveal the Rapids? new identity for 2007, I think it will help clear up any confusion and that our fans will be very excited by the announcements we have to make.

Thanks,

Who knows any more? They definitely got the domain names, but according to what I've read Arsenal FC holds trademarks on the name "Arsenal" as it relates to pretty much everything soccer. Amateur teams are one thing, but a professional team?

I still suspect that the "leak" was an old potential design, never taken down.

I wouldn't read much into that statement, though. All it's saying is the team hasn't announced a name change. It's not saying they aren't chaning their name. As far as we know. the so-called "erroneous reports" might only be erroneous because the team hasn't said anything yet.

By the way, anybody else find this slow unveiling of an identity kinda boring and tedious?

I saw the coloradorapids.com and the shield in the right corner is BLANK with NO writing. If thats not a sign I dont know what is.

I don't feel like going to wikipedia....

But I believe UNITED is the name of Man U becuase two teams got together to form one. Thats what I heard. So, if thats true then DC United is totally meaningless and made up. But you can say unity as in team = united.

I LOVE FC Dallas...when they did that I almost creamed myself.

Arsenal...if its true, Im not a fan of.

Whats next OKCFC Grasshoppers!?!

I do like MOST of the rebranding....hate Real Salt Lake....and I liked Inter Toronto FC better.

I don't feel like going to wikipedia....

But I believe UNITED is the name of Man U becuase two teams got together to form one. Thats what I heard. So, if thats true then DC United is totally meaningless and made up. But you can say unity as in team = united.

Should have gone to Wikipedia.

You heard wrong - Man U started out as a club named "Newton Heath," a new owner bought it, saved it from bankruptcy and decided to give it a new name.

Same with West Ham United - they were Thames Ironworks FC (after the shipyard where the club started) and decided to reform with a new name.

Of the big Uniteds, the only one that resulted from a merger that I can think of is Newcastle United.

DC United is therefore at least as legitimate as West Ham and Man U.

if anything, dc united is more legitimate than some others, because it represents the capital of 50 united states :)

but i'll admit, fc dallas and toronto fc are the only "new" mls names that i like. dc united isn't new, but if part of that style, and i like that one, too...

the reals and arsenals and dynamos are just... too much of a stretch.

next, we're going to need a team named after a year. houston almost did that, and i would have liked that.

if anything, dc united is more legitimate than some others, because it represents the capital of 50 united states :)

but i'll admit, fc dallas and toronto fc are the only "new" mls names that i like. dc united isn't new, but if part of that style, and i like that one, too...

the reals and arsenals and dynamos are just... too much of a stretch.

next, we're going to need a team named after a year. houston almost did that, and i would have liked that.

I really don't know that much about soccer. Which team did the Houston Dynamo take their name from?

according to the web site, this is why the called the team dynamo.

"Dynamo is a word to describe someone who never fatigues, never gives up," said Luck. "The new name is symbolic of Houston as an energetic, hard-working, risk-taking kind of town."

Link: http://houston.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.j...p&team=t200

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

You might be right.

I'd be interested to know if they did indeed sign a deal with Arsenal, and if not how they got around the trademark issues.

as somebody said on big soccer...it's searching for launch codes. lol

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Archived