Colorado Rapids now the Colorado Arsenal?

roxfan00

The website still has the old circular Rapids logo. Wasn't the new shield and color scheme made public liast month?

Not really...the new logo and kits were shown to ticket holders and not officially released to the public.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The website still has the old circular Rapids logo. Wasn't the new shield and color scheme made public liast month?

That was a special sneak preview to season ticket holders if I recall correctly.

I think that they're still the Rapids, and that they should remain so.

Sure their new stadium is on an old weapons range, but how many people would think that and how many people would think they're copy-catting Europhiles?

Somebody from the bigsoccer forums captured the Arsenal logo and saved it.

arsenalcoloradofc_logo.jpg

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Apologies if this has been posted in another thread:

A name change has been heavily discussed among Rapids fans posting at the online forum www.bigsoccer.com since the Denver Post reported Jan. 26 that the team could be getting ?a new name for the upcoming season.?

In Jan. 30?s RapidFire, the team?s e-newsletter, officials reported ?the Rapids are set to reveal one of the biggest and most pivotal announcements in club history at the end of this week.?

Rapids may lose name

Manchester D.C. United. There, I said it.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

arsenalcoloradofc_logo.jpg

Regardless of the fact that Colorado's new stadium is being built on a portion of the former Rocky Mountain Arsenal site in Commerce City, this is nothing more than continued copy-cat Europoseur nonsense. Gah!

Why stop at Arsenal Colorado FC, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, Real Salt Lake and Toronto FC? Let's bring on KS ChicaGornik Zabrze, CSD Colo-Columbus, Heart of Mid-America FC and Los Angeles Galatsaray SK. Bob Kraft must be devastated that New England's NBA franchise beat him to the Celtic brand.

:rolleyes:

What I truly find disturbing about this trend in Major League Soccer rebranding is that some organizations involved just can't seem to get things right. Real Salt Lake claims that there name is inspired by Real Madrid, only to go out and ape FC Barcelona's colors. The Colorado Rapids unveil colors that call to mind West Ham United, followed by a name change to Arsenal Colorado FC.

So, it's the previously unveiled badge with a new name. At least this makes more sense with the new name, since the prevailing comment was why a logo for a team called the Rapids didn't have any water on it.

VmWIn6B.png

So, let's review:

Colorado Arsenal

Real Salt Lake

Chivas USA

D.C. United

FC Dallas

The short-lived Houston 1836

and arguably Red Bull New York (since there's already Red Bull Salzburg, but eh, I don't think that one counts.)

Hey, MLS, here's a handy tip: if you want to establish yourself with a firm identity in the American sports landscape, you might want to do something that doesn't make you come across as a cheap rip-off of superior leagues in Europe and Mexico.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Chivas US is owned by Chivas, DC United actually makes some sense, Real SLC does have, I believe, some ties to Real Madrid, and Red Bull owns both NYC and Salzburg, so noone can bitch about that.

You forgot Houston Dynamo, which sounds pretty Rooskie to me.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

According to a poster on the Rapids site there is a news conference scheduled for tomorrow *shrugs* take that with a grain of salt.

So, let's review:

Colorado Arsenal

Real Salt Lake

Chivas USA

D.C. United

FC Dallas

The short-lived Houston 1836

and arguably Red Bull New York (since there's already Red Bull Salzburg, but eh, I don't think that one counts.)

Hey, MLS, here's a handy tip: if you want to establish yourself with a firm identity in the American sports landscape, you might want to do something that doesn't make you come across as a cheap rip-off of superior leagues in Europe and Mexico.

Don't forget about Toronto FC. I think these names are ridicilious. The "FC" stands for football club, we don't even call the game football. If anything it should be Toronto SC.

saBS.png

The United Soccer Association - one of two professional leagues that merged to form the North American Soccer League - contested it's inaugural season by importing entire European and South American sides to this country to represent American cities. Dublin's Shamrock Rovers FC became the Boston Rovers. Rio de Janeiro's Bangu Atletico Clube became the Houston Stars. Italy's Cagliari Calcio became the Chicago Mustangs. Wolverhampton Wanderers FC became the Los Angeles Wolves.

Today we find ourselves in a situation where our country's latest professional soccer league is co-opting team brands, while fielding teams largely comprised of American athletes.

It would be the height of irony if things came almost full circle and Major League Soccer's franchises opted to borrow BOTH team brands and rosters from international club sides. If that were the case, I guess New England Revolution fans would be pulling for Bob Kraft to build his club a new soccer-specific stadium in one of Boston's near northern neighbors... oh, let's say Chelsea, Massachusetts. It would present an excellent option when it came to rebranding.

:P

Archived