Colorado Rapids now the Colorado Arsenal?

roxfan00

By that logic then, all NFLE teams will henceforth be required to use European-styled names.

Also, opinions on the Barcelona Dragons' "name change" to "FC Barcelona Dragons" after their sponsorship with the real FC Barcelona kicked in.

That's different. NFLE isn't a seperate league, it's apart of the NFL. I think the biggest argument isn't against not naming the teams in the (city/ nickname) format but against the fact that they aren't being original and are just biting off of more of the famous clubs.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, great! Yet another POSER team.

DC United doesn't have the marketplace cornered on traditional nicknames <_<

By that logic then, all NFLE teams will henceforth be required to use European-styled names.

Also, opinions on the Barcelona Dragons' "name change" to "FC Barcelona Dragons" after their sponsorship with the real FC Barcelona kicked in.

That's different. NFLE isn't a seperate league, it's apart of the NFL. I think the biggest argument isn't against not naming the teams in the (city/ nickname) format but against the fact that they aren't being original and are just biting off of more of the famous clubs.

Besides Real Salt Lake and Red Bull New York, who's copying the names of famous teams? The only other one is Colorado using the Arsenal name, and even then it's just a rumor at this point.

Even Real Salt Lake and Red Bull NY are perfectly fine, because Real Salt Lake has a partnership with Real Madrid, and Red Bull New York are owned by Red Bull.

So I fail to see the problem with those two.

IF the Rapids make the switch to Arsenal, then MLS would have one team unjustifiably riding an other's coat tails.

Not a chance would Kraft put the team in Chelsea despite the cute name. No offense to anyone who might be from there, but Chelsea, MA is still in dire need of an urban renewal before it could ever consider hosting a professional soccer stadium.

That's okay, we in the real Chelsea are still waiting for our 2nd New York club. :P

I'm just tweakin'.

Ask anyone in Jersey - no way are they part of the New York metro area. They certainly aren't suburbs of the city or anything....

The irony is that the new Red Bull Park, though farther away from NYC, will be easier and quicker to get to by train.

I don't find anything wrong at all with MLS' use of the FC moniker, and for the most part, the US is the only country that refers to the game as something other than "football" - even in other languages it usually still translates to "football". It's traditional, it's the world's game, and we in the US are trying to get on board. Sure, if some teams wanted to go with SC that would be fine, but with the league trying to enhance its reputation and quality, especially in the eyes of the world football community, it would make good marketing sense to refer to the club as FC.

heh, I didn't know New Zealand, Australia and Canada applied for statehood ;)

saturn, most american football teams around the world use american-style naming (e.g. Hamburg Blue Devils, Brussels Cowboys, London Olympians, Helsinki Roosters, Adelaide Oilers). using soccer-style naming (Hamburg AFC, Brussels FC, Olympians AFC, FC Helsinki, Adelaide Oil FC) would only serve to confuse people.

then again, FC Barcelona and Real Madrid operate basketball teams (Barca's even wears red and blue stripes), and both use their normal names. shoot, most of the european basketball teams i've heard of use local-sounding names, not american-sounding monikers, with teh UK being a notable exception.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Take this for what it's worth because it's not a realiable source.

This was on the Rapids Forum.

Originally Posted by idrinkgoodcoffee

From a source on the Arsenal side of things... in a conference call on Monday with the Gooners they confirmed they had made a deal with Colorado.

The source is related to building Emirates and is still working with the team.

So it appears there is at least some affiliation/partnership between the two clubs....

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Anyone notice this on Wikipedia? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/NewRapids.PNG

Perhaps, the backup plan?

Also, this is rediculous. Yes the names when they came out were a little crazy with Clash, Wiz, Mutiny, but come on! Are we gonna see AC Miami soon? Give me a freaking break, stop acting Euro. Next thing you know, MLS will want to be Major League Football. Uh... Mockba, let's get on that trademark thing now before they steal our fantasy football name.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

While not opposed to Euro-style names in MLS, I find it incredibly humorous that they would call themselves "Major League" Soccer while their team names are becoming the equivalents of the Staten Island Yankees and Reading Phillies of the soccer world.

Anyone notice this on Wikipedia? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/NewRapids.PNG

Perhaps, the backup plan?

That was the crest they unveiled with the new kits to season ticket holders. It might have been a placeholder to keep the real secret under wraps.

I just got this link from BigSoccer. Maybe there flip floping on the idea of Rapids or Arsenal.

http://www.coloradorapids.com/logo.swf

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

Also, this is rediculous. Yes the names when they came out were a little crazy with Clash, Wiz, Mutiny, but come on! Are we gonna see AC Miami soon? Give me a freaking break, stop acting Euro. Next thing you know, MLS will want to be Major League Football.

What's wrong with AC Miami? It's a lot better the "Fusion" or anything MLS could come up with. You said it yourself; Clash, Wiz, Mutiny, etc... The attempt to market soccer to the general American sports audience failed. Now they have realized their mistake and have decided to appeal to the traditional soccer fan. That means no more crazy nicknames, and more traditional European or international names.

On that note....

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if there's North American-style nicknames and international-style nicknames. It all depends on the sport. American football, hockey, basketball, and baseball use, for the most part, the city/nickname format regardless of location. Soccer/football uses what we call international-style names, with "FC" "AC" "United" "Dynamo" "Inter" ect...

Rather then call that style "international" I would call it soccer/football-style. Of course there are some hockey and basketball teams around the world that use soccer-style names, but they're dwarfed by the number of hockey and basketball teams that use the city/nickname format around the world.

So for the most part, if you're an American football, hockey, basketball, or baseball club anywhere in the world you should probably go with a city/nickname-style name.

If you're a soccer/football club anywhere in the world, for the most part, you should go with a "FC" "AC" "United" "Dynamo" "Inter" etc... style name.

Soccer really is the world's game, and Americanizing it won't bring in American fans who didn't watch it before. It's good to see MLS realize this, and rather then trying to Americanize it they've decided to just sump on and enjoy the ride.

PS-MLS changing their name to "Major League Football"? Come on. That's just paranoia. In fact as I've said before the MLS teams with "FC" in their name would probably best be served by using "SC" instead.

MLS does need a new logo though (all though the colours rule).

something i noticed on the Rapids website, at the bottom theres a poll asking fans to guess when theyre going to unveil their new look. so yeah its going to happen but theyre teasing as to when.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

something i noticed on the Rapids website, at the bottom theres a poll asking fans to guess when theyre going to unveil their new look. so yeah its going to happen but theyre teasing as to when.

Also the banner at the top is unveiling the new logo piece by piece.

It's like the front office is playing with the Rapids fans with those polls and the logo in pieces.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

The use of European-style names just doesn't fit for American teams on the way that the leagues are set up. In Europe, there's practically a football club on every street corner, and the fan bases are very locally centered, with a strong community feel. Compare that with America who has, at most, 32 teams spread out across the entire country. Having a real nickname allows people to relate to teams that aren't necessarily in their backyard. I don't really care about anything in Indiana, but the Colts identity is pretty cool. I don't think it's a coincidence that Arsenal, one of the only European teams with a truly dynamic nickname, is one of the most popular clubs in America.

Not a chance would Kraft put the team in Chelsea despite the cute name. No offense to anyone who might be from there, but Chelsea, MA is still in dire need of an urban renewal before it could ever consider hosting a professional soccer stadium.

It was a joke. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wasn't in the least bit serious with my suggestion. First, because the chances of Bob Kraft ever building a soccer-specific stadium - anywhere - for the Revolution are, at best, infinitesimal. He has no incentive to do so. The Revolution are a business entity which allows Mr. Kraft to get more use out of Gillette Stadium... plain and simple.

Further, given that the City of Chelsea has an area of just 2.5 square miles, one would be hard-pressed to find enough developable land available on which to site a stadium.

In any event, I'll simply reiterate my biggest problem with the Real Salt Lake and Arsenal Colorado brands: the combining of familiar elements from the names of a pair of top international club sides - Real Madrid and Arsenal FC - with the colors of rival clubs - namely, Barcelona and Aston Villa/West Ham. It grates on me.

There's only one Arsenal, and only one side called Gunners, and that's the one from London.

O RLY?

http://www.celesteyrojo.com.ar/

100px-Arsenal_de_Sarandi.GIF

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived