The Super Bowl Should Use Arabic #s

Slickster

I'm in the ditch it camp, but only if they use arabic numerals correctly, such as referring to the game as "The 50th Super Bowl" or some such thing. "Super Bowl 50" just seems, well, cheap compared to using roman numerals.

That said, a quick run-through of .com domains shows that the NFL has registered "superbowlxlii" through "superbowlliv.com" or so, so I suspect they aren't going away anytime in the next 10-15 years or so. But who knows? Commissioner Goodell might make a change.

nav-logo.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO, they should just go with "2007 Super Bowl" as it's difficult to remember what SB took place during what year.

What year do you put? Do you put 2006 because this is the championship for the 2006 season or do you put 2007 because that's what year the Super Bowl is in. I think that is part of the reason why they went with Roman Numerals to begin with because the Super Bowl is in a different year than the season (remember back then playoffs were pretty much done in December or first week in January).

I had the same thought, so my idea was just a crazy one.

IMHO, they should just go with "2007 Super Bowl" as it's difficult to remember what SB took place during what year.

I agree. I get annoyed when someone says "remember in Super Bowl 19 when so-and-so dropped a pass in the third quarter?" Well it takes me a minute or two to figure out what year #XIX was even played in, and it's getting worse every year.

Why not say Super Bowl '07?

Why not just go with This Year's Super Bowl? :P After all, Duane Thomas once said of the Super Bowl: "If it's the ultimate game, why are they playing it again next year?"

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Aren't they English numbers?

Heh, i'd rather roman numerals, it adds to the prestige. Super Bowl XCVIII (99 i think)

Apart from L, they can be used pretty well, I would have assumed.

You wrote 98.

I believe 99 would be XCIX or perhaps XCVIV. Not sure on the rule about subtracting smaller letters from larger ones. Can you put an I next to and X, a two character jump, or can you only put an I next to a V?

Roman Number Converter

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Aren't they English numbers?

Heh, i'd rather roman numerals, it adds to the prestige. Super Bowl XCVIII (99 i think)

Apart from L, they can be used pretty well, I would have assumed.

You wrote 98.

I believe 99 would be XCIX or perhaps XCVIV. Not sure on the rule about subtracting smaller letters from larger ones. Can you put an I next to and X, a two character jump, or can you only put an I next to a V?

Roman Number Converter

XCIX.

VIV is like "5" "4", not 5+4 or 54.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• LMU locked this topic

Archived