The Super Bowl Should Use Arabic #s

Slickster

The NFL should switch to Arabic numerals instead of Roman numerals for the names of Super Bowls. It was cool until XL, but now it's going to get kinda weird in a few years.

43: XLIII

44: XLIV

45: XLV

49: XLIX

50: L

Super Bowl L? SUPER BOWL L? What design possibilities does that name have?

I say the NFL should change the naming policy effective after Super Bowl XLIII. Super Bowl 44 has a lot of naming potential and would make for a great design.

What do you think?

oakqb4.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking the same thing about the Roman Numerals, but I can't imagine the Super Bowl not using them. I dare say that Arabic numbers would certainly not work.

I think they have to stick with the Roman Numerals. I'm sure they can make 'em work... if not, lately, it seems we can't count on the quality of the rest of the logo to make the weird Roman Numeral not be the worst part of the logo.

IUe6Hvh.png

my guess is that once Super Bowl L (50) comes around, that hopefully the NFL will go with Arabic numbers.

Same here. The NFL should stick with Roman Numerals until Super Bowl 50. Then they should start using Arabic numbers.

my guess is that once Super Bowl L (50) comes around, that hopefully the NFL will go with Arabic numbers.

Same here. The NFL should stick with Roman Numerals until Super Bowl 50. Then they should start using Arabic numbers.

Once you get past L, LI, LII, and LIII, they're not half bad. Certainly not worth ruining one of the great traditions of the Super Bowls for.

IUe6Hvh.png

If Arabic numbers are good enough for Wrestlemania, they're good enough for the Super Bowl.

That's a better argument for Roman numerals than any other than I could make.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

"Because "V" and "X" were COOLER. "L's" just lame."

Seriously, that's what I think the reasoning is behind this. It just looks better. Normally I'd be all for anything that's an improvement, but for something as big and epic as this, it should stick with the roman numerals.

Could you imagine the winning team of Super Bowl L giving the "loser" gesture after they win the game? :D

"No way would America allow it's biggest event use "Arabic" numbers! We're fighting the war on terrorism!" j/k

I saw, I came, I left.

Nah Roman Numerals forever, if not for the Super Bowl they will be lost forever.

A-hahahahaha! That's one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. To think that a sports championship game is solely responsible for the survival or extinction of a numbers system is too funny.

Might I add that this post is copyright MMVII.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

If Arabic numbers are good enough for Wrestlemania, they're good enough for the Super Bowl.

Wrestlemania ain't the Super Bowl. Besides, 'X8' was good enough for Wrestlemania.

Did they really combine Roman Numerals with Arabic Numerals? That most have been a weird logo.

I think the NFL should continue using Roman Numerals for the Super Bowl for the sake of tradition.

One thing's for sure: At some point in the distant future they will practically be forced to make the switch to Arabic, at least temporarily, simply because they'd otherwise be unable to make some huge-@$$ Roman numeral fit inside the logo.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived