CFL Grey Cup Naming Rights?

DMadSport

Read it and weep, CFL fans; it looks like Lord Grey will have to see his name alongside some corporate entity every November. Per today's Toronto Star, the CFL Board of Directors has approved selling naming rights to the Grey Cup championship game. The article also includes possible league sponsors who might pony up the cash to put their name on the event (Rona and Ford are mentioned, for example).

So how is the sponsor going to be presented? Is it going to being along the lines of

Right up front;

"Ford Motors presents the CFL Grey Cup"

or

Within the name itself;

"The Tim Horton's Grey Cup"

or

Just listed as the sponsor;

"The Grey Cup sponsored by Rona"

Really this move should surprise no one. They already have sponsor patches on each team's uniforms, the playing fields are covered in advertisements, their websites have various ads, it was just a matter of time before the championship had it too.

I know they need money but I think it would be better if they took the patches off the uniforms, and reduced the ads on the field to a surrounding border of ads around the field itself. Kind of like how the WLAF did it the first couple of years.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

As long as the name isn't stupid, and it remind the Grey Cup, not the Ford Cup for example, I'm fine with it. Something like "The Grey Cup Brought to you By Ford" won't really bother me. The big plus is the 10 million dollars per year which can really help market the game.

I think there's only one solution to this:

The Grey Poupon Cup.

I'm not sure the CFL wants "poop on" their Cup.

:D Where's Triumph the Insult Comic Dog when you need him?

BTW, the CFL came right out after the Star report and admitted that a naming rights deal for the Cup has been explored, but that no deal, sponsor, or price tag was in place.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/20...ing-rights.html

I think there's only one solution to this:

The Grey Poupon Cup.

I'm not sure the CFL wants "poop on" their Cup.

:D Where's Triumph the Insult Comic Dog when you need him?

BTW, the CFL came right out after the Star report and admitted that a naming rights deal for the Cup has been explored, but that no deal, sponsor, or price tag was in place.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/20...ing-rights.html

In addition... Rick Westhead, the Star columnist/reporter who broke the original story on the naming rights search, added a postscript on the Star's sports blog (Click Here), and he's not holding out hope that the CFL would get the $10M they're looking for in such a deal, citing other corporate sponsors who are not as bullish on sports sponsorship as they were before. If that's the case, perhaps the CFL will have to settle for the status quo--no title sponsor for the Grey Cup and a bevy(?) of league sponsors helping to foot the bill for the event. (BTW, he's right about Dodge and the NHL in Canada; I can't remember the last time I saw one of their commercials on HNIC.)

Actually guys, I'm the one who's made an offer.

I'm going to rename it "America's Cup," just to piss Canadians off and to confuse it with the yachting trophy, thus relegating the CFL further into obscurity in the global consciousness.

AHHHH SHIP!! :cursing:

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived