Looking for corrections

CC97

Ignore the logo facts for the moment (that's a whole other beast to tackle), I'm looking for corrections to logos on the website.

If you notice years are wrong, or... an alt that should be a primary (or any other logo type that's incorrect)... or a spelling error in the description or whatever, and you KNOW it to be incorrect and you have the correct information, please post it!

I'll try to get to them and fix them up over the next couple of days.

And yes, that dinosaur logo is still the Raptors primary :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we've discussed this before, but the Phillies were never officially the Blue Jays, and probably shouldn't have their logos split off like it is two different franchises.

Did you know that the Phillies nickname is the oldest still in continuous use by any Major League team from any league? The franchise has had two other unofficial nicknames: 1883-1889 Philadelphia Quakers & 1944-1945 Philadelphia Blue Jays, but neither of these names were ever officially recognized by the Phillies, by the National Leauge or by Major League Baseball. (Source MLB)

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/phillies.shtml

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think we've discussed this before, but the Phillies were never officially the Blue Jays, and probably shouldn't have their logos split off like it is two different franchises.

Did you know that the Phillies nickname is the oldest still in continuous use by any Major League team from any league? The franchise has had two other unofficial nicknames: 1883-1889 Philadelphia Quakers & 1944-1945 Philadelphia Blue Jays, but neither of these names were ever officially recognized by the Phillies, by the National Leauge or by Major League Baseball. (Source MLB)

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/phillies.shtml

What's the story behind this? I never understood it. Why the abrupt change? Why is there a Blue Jay on their arm? This is something I always liked to know.

In the uniform section of the Anaheim Angels, their road uniforms said "Anaheim" the first(and maybe second) year they used their current set.

eskstein.jpgerstad.jpg

Also, did the Bengals switch from the lunging bengal to the "B" as their primary logo?

In the uniform section of the Anaheim Angels, their road uniforms said "Anaheim" the first(and maybe second) year they used their current set.

I don't see what logo would need correcting to make that fact accurate.

As for the Philadelphia Blue Jays... I keep hearing "the nickname was never official" but in all honesty up until the mid 90s (perhaps 1993?) all of my baseball sources listed that nickname as official -- including the official major league baseball encyclopedia.

Perhaps an attempt to re-write history on the part of the Phillies? I'd believe it.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I believe that for washington huskies you should have the block W as the primary, with the new huskie as the secondary. Per this, School Logo

In April of 2001, Washington launched a new identity program resulting in new uniforms for six athletic teams, an enhanced block "W" logo, and a new secondary Husky logo, in an attempt to give the 23 athletic teams at Washington a uniform look, while maintaining the great tradition and heritage of the Huskies. For more information on Washington's official marks, visit the University's licensing web site at http://depts.washington.edu/uwlogos/.

http://gohuskies.cstv.com/trads/020398aaf.html

heres the style guide that has the rules on the logos and such too.

http://depts.washington.edu/uwlogos/PDF/Wa...gStyleGuide.pdf

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Indiana University Hoosiers updated their logo and colors in 2002. They still have the interlocking I and U, but a different font. The red now is crimson. I noticed the website had older versions of the athletic department's logo.

You can go to iuhoosiers.com or bigten.org to see the updated logo and color scheme. Also, sites like ESPN.com have the new logo in their "teams" section.

I can't figure out how to include it.

The primary logo shown for BYU is incorrect. The correct logo has white on the cougar's back and tan in the eyes.

BYU Logo

According to BYU Identity Guidelines, the above logo is technically a secondary mark. The primary marks are:

Primary mark 1

and

Primary mark 2

I can send you a complete set of the BYU logos (both athletic and institutional) if you'd like--just let me know what size and format you'd like them and where I should send them.

EDIT: Made the logos into links so they don't take up so much space.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Your Michigan State stuff is a little off. The logo that you have listed as the current primary (the Block S with State underneath is really a rarely-used alternate logo). MSU just calls the Block S with no text its primary logo (see the 1st link below). The Spartan helmet/head logo you use as an earlier primary logo is wrong. It shouldn't have gray eyes, and it is also a current alternate that is used a lot (see 2nd link below).

Here are some current MSU logos - the quotes are what MSU officially calls each:

Michigan State "Block 'S'"

Michigan State "Spartan Helmet"

Michigan State "Millennium Script"

Michigan State Football Script

Michigan State Hockey Script

I don't see what logo would need correcting to make that fact accurate.

As for the Philadelphia Blue Jays... I keep hearing "the nickname was never official" but in all honesty up until the mid 90s (perhaps 1993?) all of my baseball sources listed that nickname as official -- including the official major league baseball encyclopedia.

Perhaps an attempt to re-write history on the part of the Phillies? I'd believe it.

Ah, I thought you meant in the pages in general. I was talking about the uniforms listed below all the logos.

How about all the images that you have posted as event logos for the Orioles that aren't actually logos?

1996 Eddie Murray's 500th Home Run - September 6, 1996

1997 1996 American League Wild Card

1997-1999 Baltimore Orioles Spring Training - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

1997-Pres Baltimore Orioles Spring Training - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

1998 1998 Opening Day vs. Royals - March 31, 1998

1998 Baltimore Orioles Spring Training - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

1999 Last Home Game of the Century vs. Red Sox - October 3, 1999

1999 1999 Opening Day vs. Devil Rays - April 5, 1999

2000 2000 Opening Day vs. Indians - April 3, 2000

2000 Orioles Swinging into the New Milleninum

2001 10th Opening Day at Camden Yards vs. Red Sox - April 2, 2001

I know for sure that these were made by a couple of private companies at their own will. Although they are officially licensed product.

DucksCupSig.png

ChargersSig4.gif

Very minor change, but the Toronto Maple Leafs' home and away logos from 1938-39 to 1963-64 (up until the playoffs) should be:

LeafsoldH.jpgLeafsoldA.jpg

...and the logo you list was in place from the 63-64 playoffs to the 66-67 season (again, up to the start of the playoffs).

LeafsmidH.jpgLeafsmidA.jpg

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

The colors for the Buffalo Bulls script logo (1997-2006) are off. Purple has never been one of the school's colors. That script should be navy blue, not purple. Plus I'm not even sure if that was ever an official logo of the school.

I can get you a clearer graphic of the "UB" logo.

buffalo_sig.png

1920-1921 and 1921-1922 - 1922-1923 Hamilton Tigers

I know these versions have been widely used as official / correct logos for the team, but from pictures in the book Hamilton’s Hockey Tigers it's clear that these are crude reproductions, likely drawn from photographs. Luckily, I found a blog that references this book and includes a decent image of the 1920-1921 logo from a Mickey Roach photo and a poor quality one of the 1921-1922 - 1922-1923 logo. I also found one reasonably clear picture of the 1920-1921 logo in the Legends of Hockey Goldie Prodgers profile. These pictures help to show how much more detailed the real logos were.

Given the lack of clear photographs, surviving sweaters, etc. that would allow better reproductions of the logos to be produced I think that listing the two tiger logos on the site as inaccurate or unofficial would be helpful.

1977-1978 Edmonton Oilers

Not exactly a correction, but I do have some limited information about a missing logo for the WHA Oilers.

For at least part of the 1977-1978 season, the Oilers wore a patch bearing the logo of the upcoming 1978 Commonwealth Games:

86_1_b.jpg

The players in the photo (Ron Busniuk and Don McLeod, I believe) place the photo sometime during 77-78 as it was the last season either played for the Oilers.

The logo in the patch and on the goalie's mask is:

11th_Commonwealth_Games-_Edmonton_1.gif

As I only have a single, undated photo of the patch being worn I don't know for how much of the season it was worn and I don't know if it was on just the road jersey or on both the road and home jerseys.

Apologies if this isn't exactly the type of correction you're looking for. (Seems to be kind of in-between a logo correction and a logo fact correction.) On the Eastern League Harrisburg Senators, you have all logos listed as either 1987-Pres or 19__-Pres. All of those logos are through 2005, not present; the team got a makeover in 2006 with a new logo, new colors, new jersey scripts, and new cap insignia.

http://www.senatorsbaseball.com/

20082614447.png

Tennessee Volunteers-

Primary logo should just be the orange "T" there should be no black outline around it.

The Lady Volunteer "T" currently listed as an alternate should be a primary, as there are two seperate athletic departments at UT, and each has a logo that the University considers a primary.

The "Tennessee written across a T" that you have listed under the "Script Logos" is not an official mark of the athletics department.

I don't think it's an attempt to re-write history, since the two years they used "Blue Jays" they also had "Phillies" written across their chests.

Clearly, "Blue Jays" was an alternate team nickname, never intended to actually replace "Phillies."

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits...amp;Entryid=708

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits...amp;Entryid=724

For the Raptors you still have the jerseys with the purple on them listed as the home and away, and you have the red jersey listed as an alt. Also I think that they've started using the footprint as the primary logo.

Archived