Tony Larussa arrested for DUI

FloPoErich

We got him out of the office. Now, if only we could get him out of the booth...

01_05.jpg

I always thought The Hawk was loved in Chicago

... well maybe on the south side, he is.... I'm guessing on the north side, this hawk was loved

dawson.jpg

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's with the applause he received? That seem weird to anyone else? How many players (or even other coaches, I guess) would receive applause after a DUI?

I think the applause probably has a lot to do with the fact that LaRussa immediately owned up to what he did, showed remorse, apologized for the embarassment he created for his family and employer and didn't try to claim victim status. Sadly, in this day and age, that's considered a laudable achievement.

At this juncture I believe that there is roughly a zero percent chance that LaRussa is going to be fired by the Cardinals. However, I do believe that it won't take much to cause LaRussa to step down as manager. He's a very private person by nature and isn't going to tolerate a bunch of invasive media attention if that is in fact what ensues. He will simply state that it's in the best interest of his family and the Cardinals franchise for him to move along. He's accomplished everything he could want to accomplish with the Cardinals club and I don't think he'd have any qualms about stepping down at a point in time when there's still time to make a managerial transition that won't necessarily affect the team's fate for the season.

For the record, I have no tolerance for drinking and driving, especially when the guilty party here certainly knows better and had the means to find alternate transportation. I hope that he receives whatever punishment the law provides for his offense and I am certain that as a man of the law (I believe that he is or was licensed to practice in California and Florida and holds an "honorary" license in Missouri) he will not try to wiggle out of what he's got coming to him.

Only by those who think running shirtless onto the field is a good idea, that the Bears need to start Kyle Orton, and that they gotta go home and set up the VCR for that "According To Jim" marathon.

In other words: Hawk Harrelson is embraced by dopes.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What's with the applause he received? That seem weird to anyone else? How many players (or even other coaches, I guess) would receive applause after a DUI?

I think the applause probably has a lot to do with the fact that LaRussa immediately owned up to what he did, showed remorse, apologized for the embarassment he created for his family and employer and didn't try to claim victim status. Sadly, in this day and age, that's considered a laudable achievement.

Reminds me of a Chris Rock (I think) bit where he's making fun of guys who go on Ricki Lake and other shows like that and say "I don't ever hit my wife, I take care of my kids..." etc. and then they get thunderous applause. YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO THOSE THINGS!!! You don't get applause for the things you're supposed to do anyway!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He has some nice catchphrases that have earned the Sox a little national attention, but overall he is a horrible, horrible broadcaster. I think it was TCR who jokingly said that he disappears for innings at a time for scotch breaks, and that seems like a valid assessment. As much as I love the White Sox, he and Darrell Jackson are simply a pain to listen to.

Justin, we all know you're a HUGE St. Louis homer, but seeing you ramble on defending Leonard Little is downright sickening.

Can you just see past the fact that these guys rep the Lou for one goddamn second?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Little had the bad luck to have the worst case scenario happen which was get into an accident killing another person. It's a terrible thing, and I understand that by putting yourself in position where it could possibly happen, you put yourself in a position where you could possibly get pretty severe charges. So in the eye of the legal system, what Little did was worse.

But in the eye of public opinion, I don't understand why people hold him as such a criminal while letting other people off easier. Like I said, he got unlucky enough to have the worse case scenario happen. Some people get the best case scenario and don't even get caught. But truth is, what they did is equally as bad.

Sorry to come in late to this, but I just read that passage.

I'm pretty sure the worst case scenario didn't happen to Leonard Little at all. I'm pretty sure he escaped with his life and someone else died. The dead people are those with "bad luck." Seems like Little resumed a football career. All things considered, one might say his luck is actually pretty good.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

He has some nice catchphrases that have earned the Sox a little national attention, but overall he is a horrible, horrible broadcaster. I think it was TCR who jokingly said that he disappears for innings at a time for scotch breaks, and that seems like a valid assessment. As much as I love the White Sox, he and Darrell Jackson are simply a pain to listen to.

Farmer and Singleton aren't much better. I listen to White Sox games on the radio now and then because I'm waiting for Ed Farmer to say "excuse me, do you work here?" to Chris Singleton. Ed's turning into Bill Walton with really congested sinuses, I think.

"Here's Perzinsky. The pitch. 0 and 1, called a strike. It was a ball, but called a strike. So I said to Wayne Gretzky. My friend. Wayne Gretzky."

"Wow, you're friends with Wayne Gretzky?"

"Well yeah. So I said to him. Hey Wayne. You weren't a good hockey player. (dead air) I said, you were a great hockey player."

Only by those who think running shirtless onto the field is a good idea, that the Bears need to start Kyle Orton, and that they gotta go home and set up the VCR for that "According To Jim" marathon.

Don't front. Much like Tom Thayer, you wanna give it to Kyle Orton.

Little had the bad luck to have the worst case scenario happen which was get into an accident killing another person. It's a terrible thing, and I understand that by putting yourself in position where it could possibly happen, you put yourself in a position where you could possibly get pretty severe charges. So in the eye of the legal system, what Little did was worse.

But in the eye of public opinion, I don't understand why people hold him as such a criminal while letting other people off easier. Like I said, he got unlucky enough to have the worse case scenario happen. Some people get the best case scenario and don't even get caught. But truth is, what they did is equally as bad.

Sorry to come in late to this, but I just read that passage.

I'm pretty sure the worst case scenario didn't happen to Leonard Little at all. I'm pretty sure he escaped with his life and someone else died. The dead people are those with "bad luck." Seems like Little resumed a football career. All things considered, one might say his luck is actually pretty good.

That's a fair point. I suppose it's not worst case. It's pretty bad case though.

All I'm saying is hold the drunk driving against him the same you would anybody else. The fact that his mistake resulted in a death was in part just by chance.

Hate all drunk drivers if you want, but don't not hate the ones who got lucky enough to not have anything happen.

Now, I don't recall what Little's BAC was when he got in his accident. Chances are it was pretty high and that he was obviously drunk, where as I think TLR was on the wrong side of the border line. So Little's was much worse. But it wasn't any worse than someone who had the same BAC level and didn't get involved in an accident.

You guys are confusing defense of the person for defense of the actions. What they did was terrible, but God forgive me if I'm willing to give second (and yes, third, fourth, and fifth) chances.

I'm almost certain TLR is a man of high character who made a slip up. Little, I don't know. He's not in the public eye enough to judge that. He had the one terrible incident which he paid for. And about 5 years later he had one more incident where he wasn't convicted (though apparently there was a good chunk of evidence, thanks ITE).

Maybe Little never learned and never will learn. Maybe he made a mistake, got on track, and then had another little slip up but is back on track now (these incidents, were afterall about 5-6 years apart).

I just hope he has learned and is on track.

And once again, I feel this way about people who have nothing to do with St. Louis.

Pacman Jones? He sure SEEMS like a lost cause, but I hope someone gives him a chance and that he rights his ship.

That's my nature. Sorry it conflicts with yours.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Well, he does have a long, slow delivery that makes defenders want to jump on his balls.

Also, STL, if you truly, truly believe that Leonard Little is the victim for having killed someone while he was drunk behind the wheel (or, pardon me, "had the bad luck" to have someone in another vehicle die during his drunken wreck,) I think you need to step away from sports for a while and see what real life entails. That's a sickening perspective.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well, he does have a long, slow delivery that makes defenders want to jump on his balls.

Also, STL, if you truly, truly believe that Leonard Little is the victim for having killed someone while he was drunk behind the wheel (or, pardon me, "had the bad luck" to have someone in another vehicle die during his drunken wreck,) I think you need to step away from sports for a while and see what real life entails. That's a sickening perspective.

That's not my perspective at all and you know it.

Little's the recipient of a lot of unfair hatred.

But that doesn't mean I view him as some kind of victim of his own idiotic mistake. Obviously the women who died (and her family and friends) were victims of that action.

All I'm saying is that anybody who goes out driving with a .20 BAC (and I don't know at all if that's what Little's BAC was, but we'll just say) is every bit as wrong regardless of whether their action results in a death or not.

That's it. Period. Don't spin my words into saying something I'm not.

I don't think STL is claiming victim status on behalf of Leonard Little. If you read his comments carefully, he clearly states that what TLR and Little did (drive under the influence) were equally bad acts, but that Little had the bad luck of having killed someone as a result of his wrongful act. Luck does not equal virtue and I don't believe STL was trying to imply that. He was simply saying that Little could have driven drunk and made it home without having been in a wreck at all. That wouldn't have made him any more virtuous but it certainly would have made him a lucky individual. Unfortunately for Susan Gutweiller (the principal victim here), that wasn't the case. You can't argue with the fact that on the spectrum of luck, that put Mr. Little on the negative end. Another analogue - someone who plays Russian Roulette and doesn't put a bullet into their cranium is lucky but no less stupid for having played in the first place.

I'll be honest - notiwithstanding my partisanship towards most St. Louis teams, I don't often agree with a number of the arguments STL makes when local players, teams or personalities are involved but this is one situation where I believe what he is saying is being blown way out of context.

Shalom.

(Postscript - I took so long to write this that it appears STL came to his own defense. Oh well, a second from a disinterested observer can't hurt. I will distinguish my remarks by saying I don't agree that Little is the recipient of a lot of UNFAIR hatred. I think folks are certainly within their rights to castigate him for his actions.)

But that doesn't mean I view him as some kind of victim of his own idiotic mistake. Obviously the women who died (and her family and friends) were victims of that action.

All I'm saying is that anybody who goes out driving with a .20 BAC (and I don't know at all if that's what Little's BAC was, but we'll just say) is every bit as wrong regardless of whether their action results in a death or not.

Okay then, fair enough. In that case, I think you made a poor choice of words in this situation. Saying Little encountered "bad luck" with his DUI fatality gives the impression of one being sympathetic toward his situation, and that it may not have been as serious in nature as the punishment he received. My apologies for misinterpreting your statements.

However, someone who gets boozed up behind the wheel -again- after having previously been in such a situation, and having fatal consequences result from it, well, I don't know if the hatred that person's receiving is necessarily "unfair."

Okay then, fair enough. In that case, I think you made a poor choice of words in this situation. Saying Little encountered "bad luck" with his DUI fatality gives the impression of one being sympathetic toward his situation, and that it may not have been as serious in nature as the punishment he received. My apologies for misinterpreting your statements.

However, someone who gets boozed up behind the wheel -again- after having previously been in such a situation, and having fatal consequences result from it, well, I don't know if the hatred that person's receiving is necessarily "unfair."

The only thing unfair at all here would be if that guy isn't serving a life sentence.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

The only thing unfair at all here would be if that guy isn't serving a life sentence.

I'm sorry, but that overreaction stuff ticks me off.

If you make the choice to liter and throw some trash on the ground, someone walks by, slips on that trash, cracks their head open and dies, are you to be considered a murderer and go to prison for life?

I understand drunk driving is more of a serious offense, but I don't agree that it makes that type of overreaction anymore acceptable.

Sodboy, I apologize if I snapped back a little bit. Maybe the wording is a little poor, but at the same time I think it's the words I need to use.

Anyways, I'm just getting tired of seeing all my opinions and thoughts dismissed. Yes, I'm a big time fan of my team. I'm a homer, yeah. I get attached to my teams and the people who make them up. That's all true.

But just because it's POSSIBLE to draw a parallel between my opinion and my fanship, doesn't mean that parallel actually exists. To often people just assume it does and completely dismiss what I'm saying.

As for whether it's unfair because of the second incident. That's a legit point. I was speaking only on the first one when I said it. I'm iffy on the second one. I need to see if he stays clean from here on out. Just as I believe someone can make one mistake and still be a good person, I certainly believe they can make another. At a certain point it's their nature and not a mistake though. At this point that can't be said either way for sure about Little.

Taken from wikipedia...

After a drunken birthday in 1998, NFL star Leonard Little crashed into and killed another motorist, Susan Gutweiler. When tested, his blood alcohol level measured 0.19 percent. Little received 90 days, four years' probation and 1000 hours of community service. Six years later, after the involuntary manslaughter conviction was wiped from his record, Little was again arrested for drunk driving and speeding. Little was acquitted of those subsequent charges on a technicality.

I wish I could afford his lawyers.... <_<

Honestly, he should currently be serving some serious time, and the fact that he isn't and is still a Ram kind of upsets me. I guess the only good thing about Little is that he's one of the few Rams who seem to have criminal problems (Byrd's gone, right?).

I will also add that his is a worse case than LaRussa's IMO.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Taken from wikipedia...

After a drunken birthday in 1998, NFL star Leonard Little crashed into and killed another motorist, Susan Gutweiler. When tested, his blood alcohol level measured 0.19 percent. Little received 90 days, four years' probation and 1000 hours of community service. Six years later, after the involuntary manslaughter conviction was wiped from his record, Little was again arrested for drunk driving and speeding. Little was acquitted of those subsequent charges on a technicality.

I wish I could afford his lawyers.... <_<

Honestly, he should currently be serving some serious time, and the fact that he isn't and is still a Ram kind of upsets me. I guess the only good thing about Little is that he's one of the few Rams who seem to have criminal problems (Byrd's gone, right?).

I will also add that his is a worse case than LaRussa's IMO.

While his lawyer probably got him off of the second charge, I'm pretty sure that if you check the standard for first time offenders (even with a fatal accident), he recieved as much or more than what most people would get.

And, no, I don't think Byrd's gone yet, but the writing is on the wall.

Archived