I've been inspired

snetsrak43

Okay, so I was inspired by Bucco b when I saw that awesome football template. As you might know, I am not an Illustrator user though, so such a template would be impossible for raster right? Well I hope not!

So I'm actually starting with baseball but I'm working on an easy to use raster "real life looking" template.

The goals:

1- Outlines should be pixelated. If there are those shades of gray it becomes difficult to color the template.

2- No crazy distortions. Its too hard to ask a raster user to distort numbers or logos more than a little rotation.

3- Real life action type shot.

4- Provide all angles.

So heres the first part of my baseball template:

realballplayer.png

Hopefully if I have success I will do a batter for side view and pitcher for back view. Now as of now, if you copied this template it would be hard to use , but that has to do with it being shrunk when uploaded. Now of course if I sent it as a file, it wouldn't lose that quality. Obviously it has a ways to go (he doesn't even have a head yet!) but I want to get a feel out for this. Is this something raster users would actually like and use? Also I'd like to see C&C on what I currently have so I know when I'm going forward.

Also I'm no artist, this is just kind of something I do for fun. Anyone who feels they may be up to helping create this let me know and I'll send you the file.

So I stress, please much C&C with emphasis on criticism because I want improvements on this. We'll see what pace I can keep this on, I want to keep up with my crossover thread and my many other activities outside of this.

brianurlacher.png

I thought the Headless Horseman was banned for steroids?

:P J/K, dude. Can tell it's still a work in progress. But am seeing potential so far. Take your time and let it come out right. While it has the potential to be good now, doesn't mean it couldn't take a turn for the worse, so work on it carefully, but definately showing some promise.

i can see that the bottom half is that of a human man but i cant quite recognise any sort of land mammal within the jersey part? on the left arm, there seems to be some sort of backward elbow joint and on the other hand, what i assume is a glove looks like a kidney hand?

are you making it in paint?

i can see that the bottom half is that of a human man but i cant quite recognise any sort of land mammal within the jersey part? on the left arm, there seems to be some sort of backward elbow joint and on the other hand, what i assume is a glove looks like a kidney hand?

I'm pretty sure his hand is behind his back and hasn't put detail in the glove yet.

I'm pretty sure his hand is behind his back and hasn't put detail in the glove yet.

yes im fairly sure thats where it probably is too. but its poorly illustrated so it looks unnatural.

I think he has a wedgie.

Thanks for the comments so far guys. I realize it has a long way to go, but wanted to just get a feeler out there to see if there was interest in something like this. The human parts such as arms an face are definitely going to be the hardest, which is party why his arm is behind him right now.

I have the basic outline of the batter down and it will look something like this:

realbatter.png

-The main points for this is that you can see the side of the pants for piping purposes, and the sleeve for patches. I'm a litter further along in this one with an actual face and as you can see I put the cool flow batting helmet on him. Go ahead and take guesses at which player I modeled him after! Obviously like the last one, things like hands will take a long time out, but for now I'm kind of worried about things like how the player is positioned to allow for easiest us of placing logos and what not. C&C Please.

brianurlacher.png

Thanks for the comments so far guys. I realize it has a long way to go, but wanted to just get a feeler out there to see if there was interest in something like this. The human parts such as arms an face are definitely going to be the hardest, which is party why his arm is behind him right now.

I have the basic outline of the batter down and it will look something like this:

realbatter.png

-The main points for this is that you can see the side of the pants for piping purposes, and the sleeve for patches. I'm a litter further along in this one with an actual face and as you can see I put the cool flow batting helmet on him. Go ahead and take guesses at which player I modeled him after! Obviously like the last one, things like hands will take a long time out, but for now I'm kind of worried about things like how the player is positioned to allow for easiest us of placing logos and what not. C&C Please.

Julio Franco is my guess...?

Prolly wrong. :D

Looks good to me.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Liking these--I see where you going. (And am I spawning a possible movement here? :D Naw, just messin...)

On the batter, the one thing I'd suggest (really, for both) is using thinner lines for the stitching lines instead of a straight solid like what you have on the right shoulder, to kind of define the sleeves and the arms (or legs) a little better. But, I do like where you are going with this (and kudos, extra kudos, for taking the time to do this in Paint).

Keep it up--I wanna see where this goes!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

For the record, this isn't in paint. I use a program called gimp. It is actually pretty helpful and helps me speed up the process a lot. I do know it is a lot different than making a concept with vector because I had a free trial of it once. I really didn't get how to use the vector so this is actually easier for me. Using gimp I could make smoother lines really easily. From what I understand its a lot like Photoshop. However these smooth lines don't work well in a template, ESPECIALLY in paint. With the gimp I could more easily fill in those "shades of gray" but find I would much rather spend time on more creative aspects than filling in gray and white spots that the fill tool didn't get. For paint users it is even more crucial. So anyways I beginning to ramble, but for the record I don't use paint, but I want to make raster templates easy for any raster program, even one as simple as paint.

And Bucco b, do you suggest getting rid of all the dark outlines or just particular ones?

brianurlacher.png

For the record, this isn't in paint. I use a program called gimp. It is actually pretty helpful and helps me speed up the process a lot. I do know it is a lot different than making a concept with vector because I had a free trial of it once. I really didn't get how to use the vector so this is actually easier for me. Using gimp I could make smoother lines really easily. From what I understand its a lot like Photoshop. However these smooth lines don't work well in a template, ESPECIALLY in paint. With the gimp I could more easily fill in those "shades of gray" but find I would much rather spend time on more creative aspects than filling in gray and white spots that the fill tool didn't get. For paint users it is even more crucial. So anyways I beginning to ramble, but for the record I don't use paint, but I want to make raster templates easy for any raster program, even one as simple as paint.

And Bucco b, do you suggest getting rid of all the dark outlines or just particular ones?

Not all of them...

...but look at the right arm of the batter. You see how the lines of the sleeve flows up into what would be the "seamline" of the sleeve? (I know it's kinda hard to explain with just words.) Keep the hard line up til about halfway up the bottom of the sleeve just so it has "definition"...and then, from there, make the seamlines (the part of the line form about the shoulder on up to the neckline) a little lighter, like the seamline in the belt loop of the pants, not to mention the ridgeliens in the helmet.

Make a lil' more sense now? Hope it helps...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

I see you got what I was talking about. It's gettin there...keep working at it. You got something good brewing here.

Okay, so I'm going in a little bit different route and these will be a little less (or zero) "action" and only one type. No back as of now. Most jerseys backs don't need to be shown unless the back number is colored differently than the front (ie Dodgers blue back red front). But that doesn't mean I can't still add a back view later.

baseballplayer.png

So I really appreciate the C&C especially from raster users. If there isn't a lot C&C I'll assume there just isn't much interest in something like this and scrap the idea, so if this is something you might use, let me know so I can improve it. I'm hoping the hat and helmet make it at least, if the uniforms don't. Thanks.

brianurlacher.png

Those guys, to me, look like little leaguers. I don't really know why, but they do.

I think their shoulders are too narrow, that may be the problem. Plus they look like they're just skin and bones, no muscle.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

realballplayer-1.png

So... why is small-headed-barbed-wire-glove man sticking his hand in his ass-hole while he's leanin' wit it and rockin' wit it?

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Those guys, to me, look like little leaguers. I don't really know why, but they do.

Sorry, I based it off of David Ekstein...

I kid I kid

I'll work on adding some broader shoulders and stuff.

So... why is small-headed-barbed-wire-glove man sticking his hand in his ass-hole while he's leanin' wit it and rockin' wit it?

hahahahahaha!!!

:rolleyes:

I've scrapped the old ones anyways.

brianurlacher.png

Archived