MLB Landmark Sigs

illwauk

I'm in the planning stages of my first project, a signature series featuring landmarks in MLB cities. But I'm having trouble coming up with something for Florida. But while I'm here, I figured I'd let everyone know what I'm planning on using for each team in case anyone knows of something I should change.

I tried avoiding the use of skyscrapers as much as possible since these are sigs since it's hard to frame somethine tall into something short and wide. Just lettin' everyone know before I get questions like "Where's the empire state building and the sears tower?"

Atlanta Georgia State Capitol

Florida ???

NY Mets Unisphere

Philadelphia Liberty Bell

Washington Lincoln Memorial

Chi. Cubs The Lion @ Art Institute of Chicago

Cincinnati Tyler Davidson Fountain

Houston Sam Houston Statue

Milwaukee Milwaukee Art Museum

Pittsburgh Clemente Bridge

St. Louis Gateway Arch

Arizona Arizona State Capitol

Colorado Colorado State Capitol

LA Dodgers Hollywood Sign

San Diego Mission San Diego de Alcala

San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge and/or a Cable Car

Baltimore Washington Monument (yes, there is a Washington Monument in B'more)

Boston Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge

NY Yankees Statue of Liberty and/or Harlem River Bridges

Tampa Bay Sunshine Skyway Bridge

Toronto CN Tower

Chi. White Sox Buckingham Fountain

Cleveland Rock & Roll HOF

Detroit Spirit Of Detroit

Kansas City The Scout

Minnesota Grain Belt Beer Sign and/or Home Plate @ Mall of America

LA Angels Sleeping Beauty Castle (Disneyland)

Oakland Tribune Clock Tower and/or Golden Gate Bridge

Seattle Space Needle

Texas Reunion Tower

this is all off no research at all, so people from these areas may disagree, but for Florida i think of any beach, or kennedy space center. for tampa bay i can just think of beaches, maybe there is a well known one? for san diego I think military things, and for houston i think the statue of sam houston in some park. for boston the revere statue is decent, but my first thought is the zakim bunker hill bridge, all lit up.

Mission San Diego de Alcala would be perfect for SD.

And, for the Angels, maybe Newport Beach would be better. The whole Disneyland thing is kind of played out around here.

VmWIn6B.png

Tampa Bay: Sunshine Skyway Bridge

Agreed, thats a great drive.

I kinda like the idea of the Disneyland castle for the Halos. Although even having a picture of the Big A sign would be cool too, seeing that it has been around forever.

AngelsTitles.png

LAAsig.png

Solid list. A couple of suggestions for cities I care about:

Washington: Can't go wrong with the Capitol dome. However, either the Lincoln Memorial or the Jefferson Memorial, the latter with opening-day cherry blossoms in view, would have a more "local" rather than "national" feel. If you must do the Capitol dome, then you might want to focus on the Statue of Freedom atop the dome. It's a detail that would appeal to locals, whereas the whole dome is a pretty tired image here.

Minnesota: The problem with Minnehaha Falls is that it's just not that distinctive. It's a rectangular sheet of falling water. And when I lived in Minneapolis (1982-1992, 1994-1998), I don't really recall Minnehaha Falls being any kind of meaningful local symbol. Jokingly, I would substitute either the Mall of America or Southdale. On a more serious note, I would use one of several things: St. Anthony Falls (navigable headwaters of the Mississippi, and the reason Minneapolis exists in the first place); Fort Snelling, the Hennepin Avenue Bridge; or the Mill City Museum / old flour mill ruins:

942f.jpg

I would also think about the Grain Belt sign on Nicollet Island, which might actually be visible from the new Twins ballpark!

957f.png

20082614447.png

this is all off no research at all, so people from these areas may disagree, but for Florida i think of any beach, or kennedy space center. for tampa bay i can just think of beaches, maybe there is a well known one? for san diego I think military things, and for houston i think the statue of sam houston in some park. for boston the revere statue is decent, but my first thought is the zakim bunker hill bridge, all lit up.

I'll stick to the one city I know a lot about: Boston and I'd like to add the State House, Fanieul Hall, and Boston Common to that list.

I made the updates.

The main reason I decided to post what I was planning on using was to let people decide how they wanted their city to be repped, so I definetly appreciate everyone's input.

Minnesota was one of the most difficult places for me to do because I tried to use landmarks that are in the city where the team actually plays (though I decided to go with the Reunion Tower for Texas when I couldn't find a picture of the Six Flags in Arlington) and all I could think of for "Minneapolis" was a mall in Bloomington. I went with Minnehaha Falls because it reminded me of the imagery from the old Hamm's commercials.

I may do one with a pic of home plate at the Mall of America since i did give priority to landmarks that were used in sports logos (i.e. The Socut, Brooklyn Bridge) or somehow otherwise connected to sports (Clemente Bridge). And the mall does have a VERY strong connection to the Twins.

I doubt I'll change the Angels though unless I can get another idea of something that's in Anaheim, but not explicitly part of the stadium.

Definately the Statue of Liberty for the Yanks and the Queensboro Bridge for the Mets

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

for boston the revere statue is decent, but my first thought is the zakim bunker hill bridge, all lit up.

i second that motion

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I decided to do a NY Giants sig to show what they'll look like.

nygiants.png

I'm planning on doing all teams eventually, but I'll do the ones that are requested first.

even though its not in DC, ive always admired the Iwo Jima Memorial...that or the Jefferson w/ the Cherry Blossoms as BallWonk suggested.

also for Colorado, the Continental Divide would be a nice touch instead of the State Capitol building.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I've just finished with the NL Central.

chicubs.png

cincinnati.png

houston.png

pittsburgh.png

stlouis.png

And for the Brewers, see my sig.

For the Mets I think the best landmark would be the Unisphere at Flushing Meadows Park in Queens.

Good idea... I hadn't even though of incorporating anything from the Expo.

Wow! These are awesome! Will there be a Yankees sig in the next batch?

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

My question is what are you gonna do for teams such as the Orioles, Phillies and Angels that don't have an official city word mark? I don't know if just having the team nickname would flow with the whole land mark concept.

AngelsTitles.png

LAAsig.png

reunion tower is very very dallasy...

the rangers tend to go out of their way to refrain from being dallasy ever... i associate reunion tower with the teams that once played under it. the mavs and stars.

reunion tower is very very dallasy...

the rangers tend to go out of their way to refrain from being dallasy ever... i associate reunion tower with the teams that once played under it. the mavs and stars.

Agreed. Unless you use Six Flags for Arlington, I really don't know what else would work. Maybe an Old Navy and a Joe's Crab Shack?

newsig.jpg

Archived