MLB Alternate Logos Project

ltravisjr

NYM and Philly are both top notch. Really like the apple-ball logo. Keep 'em coming!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Another great set.

Mets: Very nice. The white highlights and black shading might be a bit too much, though. Makes it look like a plastic puffy sticker. Bit of a scaling issue. I would tend to simplify the execution here, but this is really quite terrific as is.

Phillies: Eh. I see it, but honestly, my first thought was "he turned William Penn into a pointy stick. What the ...?" I think City Hall would be a more natural, more Phillies-ish icon for this than Independence Hall. The top of City Hall can stand on its own, but Independence Hall only looks like Independence Hall when you can see the whole building. Plus, Independence Hall is actually colored red and white, in the broadest terms, while City Hall is broadly blue and white. So making Independence Hall blue and white on this logo just adds to the lack of iconographic clarity.

Braves: It's just not right for the freakin' Braves to have a logo that looks this good. Aaargh! Seriously, man, this was the team where you were supposed to phone it in, not create one of the five or so best logos of your project.

Marlins: OK, you're forgiven for the Braves. Because this is better. Heck with alternates. This should be their cap logo right now. I'm not kidding: you should walk away from this project now, because you've achieved perfection right here. You've peaked; it's all downhill from here. When you do the NL West, I'm just going to write "nice, but the Marlins logo was better" five times. I liked it better in silver, where it actually looks like a marlin fish, but the teal works too, even if teal is allegedly about to become obsolete.

Nationals: Oooh. Near miss. With or without the gold, the line of the Potomac is so realistic that it renders the whole logo strangely abstract. I live here, and I actually won a bet in a bar once drawing the shape of the District with my eyes closed. And this thing confused me at first glance. Make the line of the Potomac a bit more abstract and you'll have a winner. Kudos for not just slapping together a Capitol dome or a couple of ionic columns or whatever.

20082614447.png

Here is a wallpaper that I made with the permission of ltravisjr using the Mets apple logo. Side note, I earlier seconded a suggestion that the logo would look better without the NY. It turns out that it just looks kinda empty and that the logo is perfect as originally designed. Enjoy!

metsapplejerseynj1.th.jpg

BCBannersSig.png

2737.gifPHI2.png

I like the idea of something more being added to the Philles uniforms. They are a bit boring. I always loved the old Independence Hall one, part of that was because of the use of the green. The modernized one is interesting idea, the only real comment I would stress is the ability to relate it to the actual building. Given an image you'd see the resemblance, but it's a clock tower, and without a clock it becomes a bit vague.

The one they should really bring back, and I'd actually buy a jersey if they used it, would be this one:

2256.gif

JerseyDatabase.com - I'm that guy...

I got an idea for the Braves one. Whatever happened to thier screaming mohawk brave logo they used through the 50's and 80's? What if you modernized that somehow? I think that or even a modernization of the chief logo would be cool. Your work is very good , i must add, and i think some of these sould be sent in (especially Pittsburgh's)

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

I got an idea for the Braves one. Whatever happened to thier screaming mohawk brave logo they used through the 50's and 80's? What if you modernized that somehow? I think that or even a modernization of the chief logo would be cool. Your work is very good , i must add, and i think some of these sould be sent in (especially Pittsburgh's)

Thanks, man. I appreciate the compliments, and the suggestions as well. As far as a chief, I actually based my logo on the old Boston Braves chief in profile (Boston Braves). I just replaced the chief face with the ball in the interest of simplicity and to avoid that whole political correctness debate. But yes, when I see the old Atlanta chief, I think it is just begging for artistic streamlining...

Thanks again!

LT

Mets - Being that I'm not a Mets fan, maybe I'm not qualified to suggest that you reverse the colors. Make the apple orange and the outline and stitches blue. This way, the orange is closer to the real color of an apple, and the blue is the primary. By making the apple blue, it almost hides the orange because you can't see it in the stitches too well. Or maybe what is needed are white stitches on the blue apple, I'm not entirely sure. (**)

Phillies - I too felt the building alone made it look a little empty. What about sticking the classic Phillies "P" (the one with the swirl/baseball in the middle) on the tower? Or on the liberty bell for that matter?

Braves - perspective is a bit off, but otherwise it's a start, but I don't think an ending... What about a "B" where the tomahawk is the stem of the B??? :D

Marlins - not sure what to say here. I kinda get the thing with the fish and all, but for some reason it just doesn't look right. The F does look better in teal though. (*.5)

Nats - can't seem to get the jist that this is DC for some reason. I hate the name in the first place because its not original, but that's a different beef for a different pasture. What about a "DC" with a baseball in the middle so the stitched seams on the ball make up parts of the "D" and the "C" ???

Anyway - just my 2 cents....

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry.... but I thought all of them were great....

Except the Marlins one, which I feel looks like a logo someone would use to get around the copyright laws.

Personally, making a fish swinging a bat, or clutching a baseball in its fin would have been better.

But the use of teal is an exciting element, but contrasting it with silver AND orange and black would make any logo pop.

Dig into their color palet and recreate. move away from the F.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Archived