Northeastern State University unveils logo

myartsaywhat

April 24, 2007 03:23 pm

NSU reveals new mascot

More than four months after unveiling the new Northeastern State University moniker - the RiverHawks - the university revealed the look of its mascot Tuesday morning in front of the public, including NSU students, faculty, staff and administrators.

A mascot selection task force has worked with Eric Rickabaugh, owner of Columbus, Ohio-based Rickabaugh Graphics, to create the new design set to replace the controversial Redmen moniker and mascot. Rickabaugh said the new design - a green hawk with its wings stretched across the words ?Northeastern State RiverHawks? - is a ?tribute to the community.?

?I think you?re all going to enjoy being RiverHawks in the future. Go RiverHawks!? Rickabaugh exclaimed before the audience.

For more information on the unveiling of the RiverHawks mascot and when the new moniker will begin to be used, see the Wednesday edition of the Daily Press.

revealAFTER.jpg

New image is here

2000Patch.jpg

Ya, after looking at it I feel like the left wing isnt connected to the head.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

it looks more like something with wings attached to its body, rather than a part of its body. Kind of like a griffin.

It is wierd the way our eyes work, looking at that logo I didn't notice the S and E in STATE, all I saw was TAT. obviously once i focused on the word I saw them, but with a glance I failed to notice 2 letters.

Did the NCAA also pass a rule stating that Indian names had to be changed to a name relating to a bird? This is the second time(LA-Monroe Warhawks) I can think of where they have switched this way.

One would think if a school is going to pay a designer to remake their identities, they would expand their realm of creativity.

Funny, I kind of liked it at first but then as I began to examine it further I found myself picking it to pieces. There are so many little things about it that bug me.

The biggest problems, the wings not looking attached to the body and the curved font bug the hell out of me. Also the two capital N's are stretched out so much that they don't even look like they are part of the word. I read it as "ortheaster". Almost humorous because the word kind of reminds me of ornithology (the study of birds) I'll stop myself before I get on an unrelated tangent.

Too bad, this could have been a nice identity. Everyone else's comments are pretty much dead on.

Here's the rest of the logo set (larger graphic here):

ZGNKNMVIMKKFSGB.20070424190826.jpg

I like the "NSU" and "RiverHawks" marks, although the beveling for "NSU" is a tad unnecessary.

As for the rest, they're solid, but a little disappointing when you really get to looking at them. The individual elements of the full hawk look fairly sharp, but they look like they were combined rather lazily. As others have said, the wings and the hawk's head don't match up, almost as if someone just pasted a random bird head on top of a pair of wings without bothering to resize anything or blend in the head with the rest of the hawk's body. I also think there's way too much negative space with the hawk's body; the tail feathers and legs look very awkward, almost as if the hawk's legs begin at the base of its neck. The bird head by itself looks good, but it seems like modern bird head logos are a dime a dozen these days and all end up looking the same.

I dig the font used for "Northeastern" in the wordmark, but the "State" really looks like an afterthought with how squashed it appears. It's like someone remembered in the eleventh hour that "State" was part of the school's name, and rushed to cram it in there right before the deadline.

Overall, it's pretty good for a Division II school like Northeastern (it's definitely better than Southeastern Oklahoma State's abysmal new PC logo), but there's certainly some room for improvement.

I like the "NSU" and "RiverHawks" marks, although the beveling for "NSU" is a tad unnecessary.

As for the rest, they're solid, but a little disappointing when you really get to looking at them. The individual elements of the full hawk look fairly sharp, but they look like they were combined rather lazily. As others have said, the wings and the hawk's head don't match up, almost as if someone just pasted a random bird head on top of a pair of wings without bothering to resize anything or blend in the head with the rest of the hawk's body. I also think there's way too much negative space with the hawk's body; the tail feathers and legs look very awkward, almost as if the hawk's legs begin at the base of its neck. The bird head by itself looks good, but it seems like modern bird head logos are a dime a dozen these days and all end up looking the same.

I dig the font used for "Northeastern" in the wordmark, but the "State" really looks like an afterthought with how squashed it appears. It's like someone remembered in the eleventh hour that "State" was part of the school's name, and rushed to cram it in there right before the deadline.

Overall, it's pretty good for a Division II school like Northeastern (it's definitely better than Southeastern Oklahoma State's abysmal new PC logo), but there's certainly some room for improvement.

The Atlanta Hawks want their Hawk head logo back.

ATL_418.gif

Uh, that's not even close...

Wade-sig.png

Reminds me of Louisana-Monroe's WARHAWK looking bird.

I like - I know you can find fault with this & that (neck, legs, etc) still a very nice logo. Simple, yet appealing.

I noticed they are selling the black t-shirts with the new logo for $9.99.

I may order one -

8.2 out of 10

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

ATL_418.gif

Are you serious or are you being sarcastic?

Reverse the current Hawk logo, make them both black and white, and put them side by side and THEN examine them. I'm not saying they're exact, but they are similar enough to validate my comment.

Reminds me of Louisana-Monroe's WARHAWK looking bird.

Two Rickabaugh logos that look similar? Now I've heard everything.

Like I have always said, his quality of work is good. His variety, creativity and uniqueness? Not so much. They've sure gotten their money's worth from the Copperplate font package they bought a few years ago.

ATL_418.gif

Are you serious or are you being sarcastic?

Reverse the current Hawk logo, make them both black and white, and put them side by side and THEN examine them. I'm not saying they're exact, but they are similar enough to validate my comment.

47d3b6u.png

If you think any of the design elements look similar, then obvious you need to get your eyes checked.

You can only draw a hawk so many ways.

The beak is different, the eyes are different, the feathers are different. What more do you want?

If you say these look similar enough to make a smart ass comment about the Atlanta Hawks wanting their logo back, you might as well throw all the bird logos from any college or sports team and put them in the same pile, and criticize those as being similar too.

Wade-sig.png

Archived