Columbia College

kewp80

There are many Columbia College's out there, but the one I'm talking about is the one here in my hometown of Columbia, MO. I am actually contemplating about going there. They are a very small NAIA school with only like five sports, but they are very good, they're Volleyball team competes for the National Championship almost every year, and their Men's and Womens Basketball teams are good as well.

Anyway, I posted a version of their current logo below. As you can see my concept is basically a cleaner more modern approach to that. The problem I am having is that the fore head looks strange to me. So any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old logo:

COUGAR3.gif

My Concept:

syleguide_template.png

C&C Please! B)

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got the same problem as BroadwayBlueshirt, but other than that, that's a MAJOR upgrade! You really ought to present that to them once you get it all cleaned up.

The cat's not really doin it for me, it looks too...uninterested? like it just woke up from a nap and all it wants to do is go back to sleep. Liven it up a bit, make it more fierce, bare some fangs or something! Bread fear into your opponents! Other than that the secondary and the wordmark look really nice, simple but effective.

I know it's probably the colors more than the logo, but all I see when I look is Penn State.

Well, Penn State's logo is a profile view, while this is not, but I see what your saying. I get PSU feelings with it too.

I'm gonna try and mess with the eyes and the brow today to make it look more fierce and be more emotional. I dunno about the red in the eye, cause that would stray from the school colors.

Check out my music!

The first thing I noticed was that line dissecting the cat's head in half. What is that? I sure doesn't look like a brow. Either put some curve in it to give the head and brow some dimension or scrap it altogether.

As BroadwayBlueshirt mentioned, move the eyes. If you can construe them to look forward rather than up, that will do wonders.

That is a tremendous update. Great work.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I think this will end up very nice, but I think some of the tones still need work. On a cougar, the chin and the area just below the nose are white, the top of the snout is brown, and the forhead and cheeks are a very light brown. You can't really tell from the original logo here, but if you pull up some cougar photos you will probably see what I am talking about. Perhaps you could add white to your palette and thus have a light, medium, and dark tone to accomodate this.

LT

I'm gonna try and mess with the eyes and the brow today to make it look more fierce and be more emotional. I dunno about the red in the eye, cause that would stray from the school colors.

Just a note, the sabres have always had a red-eyed Buffalo, even in the old time blue and gold days...most logos online don't show it though.

As for the brow, you might consider giving it a downward curve, to, again, make it look feirce.

Alright changed the eyes up, but I think they still need some work, not sure what to do with them. The chin and nose look a lot better know with the white, but I feel like it needs more white. C&C Please!

CC_logosheet.png

Check out my music!

Nice upgrade. The brow looks better. The eyes are still a little off. The pupils need to be moved to the bottom, or maybe elongated. As for the white, try adding it to the eyes and maybe add a little inside the ears or is that too much?

An improvement on your original. The brow is much better. Scarygood30 is right about the pupils. You need to lower them so they are closer to the center.

I'm indifferent on the addition of white. I think this can be a solid logo with just the blue/gray scheme. It also can be a solid logo with the blue/gray/white scheme. If you decide to keep the white you need to add highlights. The ears are a good place to start.

This is coming along nicely. Keep tinkering!

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

You won't catch me saying this often, but I think this logo is too modern, or modern in the wrong direction, anyway.

The sleek lines make it look much more like a black panther than a cougar. It looks like a big chrome panther head--there's no trace of fur or texture on it at all.

Unless you're going full-on silouhette, you should have some semblance of texture to the fur, even if it's modern, sleek texture lines.

The Nashville Predators logo is modern (even sleek and chrome looking), but you can tell the cat has fur because of the stripes.

Great idea, and I think this will rock in the end, but something needs to be done to make it less plain, while still maintaining the 'sleek'.

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

Looking at the logos again, I have a couple slight suggestions.

I would try and pick up some of the nasal and nostril lines--that's part of the power of cats.

Also, part of the powerful look of the old logo is the wide jaws. While you maintained the same outline, you made the blue so thick that it negates the wideness, therefor doesn't have the powerful wide look any longer. I would stick a bit more with what the original logo has. I'll show you quick lame paint examples of what I mean, because I'm at work right now and don't have access to anything better:

COL.jpg

Again, horribly lame, but hopefully you get the basic ideas behind my suggestions.

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

Archived