NEW DESIGN! St. Louis MLS concept

therocheapproach

I know St. Louis is a possible city for the future expansion of the MLS so here is my concept for it.

The imagery incorporates the Gateway Arch. The Fleur de Lis symbolizes STL's French heritage and as it also appears on the city flag. Overall the choice was to create a very traditional logo because of St. Louis' long history with the sport of soccer. So the goal (no pun) was keep the logo simple and timeless.

The deep red color represents the brick building landscape of St. Louis. The tan and cream represents wheat and the deep brewing history of St. Louis. The colors also pay tribute to the Cardinals as a sports city but still maintaining it's own voice.

You may wonder why St. Louis is spelled out. It is symmetrical that way and is used very often in the city.

As for the unis. I did a quick design, but I never really like doing uniform design so I'll leave them at that.

stlouis_mls.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think St Louis has been the hotbed it once was in the early 90's and before...

Great logo design. the colors dont do it for me, but its a great description as to why you used them.

I dont think any arch on uniform is going to ever be as great as the Rams, and thats a tall order to live upto.

that is a very very well done crest.

i'm not a fan of the uniforms at all, but that's ok for 2 reasons... 1st, you didn't put much effort into them, as you said. 2nd, they'd probably be forced to wear some bland adidas template regardless.

but that crest is very nice. you should be proud of that one. i especially like the ball at the bottom.

Nice logo. You picked a very appropriate color scheme, and all the elements fit together very well. I like the idea of the arch on the uniforms, even though they probably would have to stick with a standard template as mentioned previously.

I think your choice of font seems a little bland. It works fine for "Athletic", but it just feels a little generic for Saint Louis.

I also think the soccer ball would fit into the area at the bottom if it were flipped upside down, so the corner of the pentagon panel mimics the corner of the crest.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Out of all the MLS concepts I've seen this is by far the best. You could stick it on the MLS website right now and it would look as though it had been there for years.

You might want to reach out of box as far as color scheme. The big uproar would be 'Not another RED team'. Maybe navyfor the primary and the same type of yellow you have and a hint of the maroon. It would still be in the same spirit (of St. Louis...sorry couldn't help myself) of your logo but with a third color added and switching of the primary.

All in all very, very nice.

Take a bow.

I dunno, I think having the arch is a little too cliche, but this is a really nice logo. I also made a St. Louis Soccer concept a while back, but I had the arch like shape, and had the statue of St. Louis that is in front of the Art Museum as the main focus, I like the fleu-de-li though, I've always thought that St. Louis teams should use it more.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I dunno, I think having the arch is a little too cliche, but this is a really nice logo. I also made a St. Louis Soccer concept a while back, but I had the arch like shape, and had the statue of St. Louis that is in front of the Art Museum as the main focus, I like the fleu-de-li though, I've always thought that St. Louis teams should use it more.

St. Louis should be proud to have something that's so universally associated with their city. Especially when soccer badges tend to be about nothing but civic pride.

A minor gripe, but the home and away kits are almost the same, in fact at first glance I thought they were and had to edit this post once I realized they weren't 100% identical.

I love the colours, they just... fit St. Louis beautifully. Great choice of putting the Budweiser sponsorship too, but use straight Budweiser and not Budweiser Select.

Someone mentioned adding navy to the colour scheme. I agree - make the away kits navy and use Bud Light for a sponsor. I don't think it's common that a soccer team uses different sponsors on different kits, but since Budweiser and Bud Light are so close in brands I don't think it would look out of place. It might be difficult fitting the navy into the logo though, maybe try replacing that red space underneath the arch and above the ball with navy?

Question - where does the fleur-de-lis come into a St. Louis concept? I'm not mocking, just asking since you're a resident of that city and I'm well... not.

stoneraizersig.jpg

I could go either way on the uniforms, but I love the logo. Very well done.

St. Louis remains a big hotbed in terms of youth soccer, but once you get past the high school level and maybe college (SLU is a perrenial top team), not as much. But I really think if we could get that MLS team in here it'd be supported.

Hey Roche, Nice Approach.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

St. Louis remains a big hotbed in terms of youth soccer, but once you get past the high school level and maybe college (SLU is a perrenial top team), not as much. But I really think if we could get that MLS team in here it'd be supported.

I would love St. Louis to have a team, but where so you think they would play? Sorry to stray away from the topic.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

it's great. i can't find a hat-tipping smiley but if there was one, i'd put it right here... *tips LBSU hat to therocheapproach*

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I would love St. Louis to have a team, but where so you think they would play? Sorry to stray away from the topic.

I think they'd have to build a new place, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up on the Illinois side. That wouldn't be ideal, but if they picked a decent Illinois suburb to put it in and made it easy to get to, I still think people would come.

It would of course be better if they could find somewhere on the Missouri side to place it. There is plenty of land, they just need the right deal.

If they needed something in the interim, I'm really not sure. Does the MLS allow domes if it is on a temporary basis?

Thanks for the great comments! I love doing logos and seeing the initial reactions they get (it's like spring training for graphic designers). It's really the best way to improve.

Some reactions based on the reactions:

I agree the colors are pretty safe, so I could do another version with more adventurous colors, but I thought I'd stay traditional.

Since Budweiser has the Cardinals, Bud Light seems to have the Rams, I thought Select would be a nice fit for the A's of St. Louis.

Again, my uni effort is never really there, but if any of the uni experts on the board want to take a shot, have at it. It would be cool to see what direction you take it.

I think if St. Louis got a MLS team they would probably build something out in west county. Gotta hit the soccer suburbs for fans. Maybe out in Webster Groves or something. Personally I would love to see something in Dogtown since the Blues left that area for downtown. So many great sports bars without a team in the neighborhood.

I have to admit that the font selection was based on the fact I bought that font about 2 years ago from an Australian type shop and haven't used it in anything yet. But I also love the style of it for the logo - it's kind of sporty, but also has a slick sans serif feel. It's called Baksheesh if you wanted to know.

Archived