Panther Logo

eRay

you guys have some great ideas, and davidson, i wish i could do 10 minute jobs like that, thats amazing. i am going to wait to talk to the guy who this logo is for before i make some major changes like going to a stalking panther, or a straight-up-I-will-kill-you panther. If he likes the direction I am heading in I think I may stick with that. I made the back/shoulder of the panther more curved, less pointy, essentially shorter, and it looks better IMO.I changed up the eyes a lot, and this was the best version I came across. Let me know what you think, (blue with black or black with blue) (eyes) and if the client doesn't like my direction I will start with one of your great suggestions. Thanks for all the help.

Panthers_3.png

Panthers_2.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're closer to heading in the right direction now, but your drawing needs work... I've attached a sketch to illustrate some of the alterations I'd make were I you...

panther-sketch.jpg

the line at the top of the neck should be a smoother transition than your drawing... you want to convey motion (I assume), but the abrupt straight line doesn't help the eye flow from back to front... make it a long smooth arc, with a minor curve in the front to indicate the profile, and stick an ear in there somewhere...

simplify the eye to just the shape, no pupil,

let the back curve, but maybe do something like I've illustrated... conveys more motion, would fit nicely on a football helmet, and may leave space for a wordmark down the road...

I stretched the whiskers out too, kind of to have them double as motion lines....

I would stylize the bottom of the chin more... take out the inside of the mouth and make this a strict profile, and have the top and bottom of the mouth work along the same plane, kind of like where the yellow line is in the sketch...

basically, simplify the whole thing down in terms of large shapes and objects... stylize this and don't worry about anatomical correctness... just hint at it...

hope this helps.

I think you're closer to heading in the right direction now, but your drawing needs work... I've attached a sketch to illustrate some of the alterations I'd make were I you...

panther-sketch.jpg

This is darn good advice. If you make these alterations, you can wrap it up and put a bow on it.

LT

I'd lose the Jay Leno chin, when I look at it it is all I see. Patsox has some interesting suggestions that I think could work and improve it.
Did you mean Patsfan?

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I'd lose the Jay Leno chin, when I look at it it is all I see. Patsox has some interesting suggestions that I think could work and improve it.
Did you mean Patsfan?

oops, big mistake. my bad...that is what i meant.

I wish i could say I love you to patsfan without sounding creepy. Your suggestion took this to a new level IMO. I tried to take what you were saying and showing and then work off that. I think it turned out pretty decent. I didn't like the way I was making the mouth look when it wasnt open and toothy, so I chose to keep that part from my design. I hope I took care of the third tooth problem that i still dont know if i understood. i think this seems to be working a lot better, so let me know if you feel the same way. thanks for all the help to everyone, look at this compared to my first try, all that progression is due to you guys.

finale2.png

I think it is a HUGE improvement and the only thing I might suggest is to implement another color besides navy to bring out the nose, whiskers, and ear marks? Possibly even introduce some teeth? Great work so far.

Okay for the mouth that is still bothering me, I think it would do wonders if you removed the top tooth on the outside and kept with the curve into the inside tooth...then removed the inside bottom tooth. Try it out.

You're getting there, man. I would suggest at this point you can get into the "depth and shading" portion of the design since the general shape is pretty well there. Maybe some quick lines to make the face look more "hairy."

so I hope you don't mind, I'm sure this is more input than you're looking for, but I had some time on my hands and wanted to play with this... you know, do it myself to see if I could figure out what wasn't working... you're REALLY close with this, but I think the fine tuning of this is going to make it look professional...

the biggest thing is the teeth in the mouth... they don't all have consistent shapes or angles... though they're abstracted to triangles, the teeth still need to look like they fit in the mouth... right now they're all angling inwards, which isn't anatomically correct... though we're stylizing this, the anatomy still needs to be accurate...

and the biggest thing overall is that you need to push this to get more motion... after all, we're representing a panther attacking here, like he's flying through the air... pull out the chin hair and sweep it back slightly... scrunch the nose up a tad more so it looks like he's bearing his teeth and about to bite... make the eye a little more exaggerated in it's scowl (make the slope of the upper part of the eye steeper) and edge it forward just slightly... use the whiskers... they're like built in motion lines, and you can use their arc to accentuate the overall arc of the design... I've kind of overstylized them in mine, but I think I like the way they look...

make sure all your lines work together... I don't know how best to describe it, but if they run parallel, make sure they're parallel.. if they're supposed to curve the same way, make sure they're the same... little variations in things like this make the overall product look just a little off...

anyways, just a few thoughts... your design is light years ahead of where it started this thread, and kudos to you to taking advice/criticism and working it into the design...

and do with it what you will, but I tried to follow my own advice and came up with this:

panther-sketch-2.jpg

the problem with the mouth and teeth, even in patsfan's latest tweak, is that you're showing 2 teeth, yet the head is in complete profile...i think you need to reduce it to just one tooth...you wouldn't see both teeth unless the head were turned toward you

jldesigns404eo.png

I see what you're saying, but I think just one tooth doesn't read as clearly as a mouth... looks more like a pinching claw... I kind of see the two teeth as a necessary artistic deviation from reality... representing a mouthful of teeth without showing all of them....

not getting defensive, just explaining my thought process... and why it might work with two... one just didn't feel like enough...

the problem with the mouth and teeth, even in patsfan's latest tweak, is that you're showing 2 teeth, yet the head is in complete profile...i think you need to reduce it to just one tooth...you wouldn't see both teeth unless the head were turned toward you

which is why I said that I thought it would look better with the top outside tooth gone, as well as the inside bottom tooth. If you INSIST on having four teeth shown, I would reduce the size of the inner ones...in a growl, the large ones would stand out and be displayed I believe.

I am now starting to wonder how the head profile would look without the jagged mark from the bottom of the chin to the back of the neck...what if it was changed back to one continuous smooth curve back to the point?

Archived