Ottawa Senators

IceCap

Brian in Boston's post regarding the Roman motif of the current Ottawa Senators identity got me thinking. When all is said and done, BiB's right. The current Sens look represents neither the Senate of ancient Rome or the Canadian Senate.

So I decided I would give making a Rome-less Senators concept a try. Here's the final result.

I used the current road white Sens sweater as the template (so basically I used the jersey design from 95-'99).

I used the current Peace Tower logo as the main crest. The original Peace Tower logo had the right idea, but was poorly executed. The current Peace Tower alternate logo is one of the better alternate marks in the league IMO, and since it lacks the Roman motif it's a mark that brilliantly represents the Canadian Senate. I had to recolour it slightly so it would fit in with the new look I was putting together, but nothing major was done colour-wise.

For the alternate logo I went with the original Senators' =O= mark.

I originally planned on doing a red alternate with the =O= logo that featured rap-around black and white bars, but it came to close to looking like the Montréal Canadiens red sweater, so I nixed it.

C&C welcome as always.

OtS3.png

From my opinion it looks too much like Team Canada.

Great idea tough.

AllyB96

Quest for the 25th : HABS ALL THE WAY !

Vincent Lecavalier - 1998 NHL Draft - 1st pick overall, TB - from Rimouski Oceanic, LHJMQ

lecavaliersignature.jpg

1996-1997 CHL Rookie of the Year -- 2003-2004 Stanley Cup Champion -- 2004 World Cup of Hockey Champion and MVP -- 2006-2007 Maurice 'Rocket' Richard Trophy Winner -- 2 Times NHL All-Stars Game Participant

Anything to get rid of that &@+ icon...

That way the Sens' fan would no longer feel compeled to show thei hairy legs on camara when dressing up to show their support... :puke:

Always thought the Peace Tower logo was classy, even more when used with the full wordmark.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I generally like this concept, but somehow it adds up to less than the sum of its parts. Every element is so straightforward and simple that the whole things comes off as cloyingly plain. If the government of Canada set up a parliamentary committee to design a hockey uniform for Ottawa, it would probably end up looking a lot like this. It needs something element or combination of elements to give the concept more of a spark. I find everything about this concept nice, but nothing about it exciting.

On the logo, I'd like to see a couple of things. First, the O in the shape should be just a tad more obvious. Second, the Peace Tower is much too abstract. This is a top-level pro team; it deserves a logo that cannot be accurately recreated with three popsicle sticks, a penny, and a Dixie cup. Something closer in style to the U.S. Capitol dome in the soon-to-be-retired Caps logo, but perhaps less realistically detailed, would be a big improvement here. That would also make the maple leaf stand out more in its abstract, block-of-color glory. It's an old manga trick to use contrast between abstract and realistic elements to draw attention to both.

For an alternate or second logo, what about something that uses the two thrones at the back of the Senate chamber?

20082614447.png

Sorry, I'm not feeling this at all.

First, I can't stand that Peace Tower. I never have liked it. It just looks so amateurish. And the shoulder logo isn't working for me either.

And I can't see the Sens *ever* going with the barberpole look as they respect the 67's too much and besides, the 67's are pretty well known as "The Barberpoles".

If the government of Canada set up a parliamentary committee to design a hockey uniform for Ottawa, it would probably end up looking a lot like this.

Yeah, I gotta agree with this too.

I think these look great. Mind you I have a HUGE beef with them "honouring" the original Senators so as much as these look good, the O's on the shoulders bug the hell out of me.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

it deserves a logo that cannot be accurately recreated with three popsicle sticks, a penny, and a Dixie cup.

Wow! now that you mentioned it, that is ALL I can see... thanks for ruining it for me...

If I were a Sens fan (NEVER in a Million Year will I be...) I'd probably recreat it at my desk right now...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

it deserves a logo that cannot be accurately recreated with three popsicle sticks, a penny, and a Dixie cup.

I would argue that the best, most memorable logos are those which can be recreated easily.

Remember the logos you drew in the margins of your math notebook in middle school? Clean, simple, abstract--if you will, sometimes-- and easily rendered icons have staying power.

Nice concepts.

These look really good.

But I wouldn't want the Roman motif removed because the whole gladiator theme at the games would be gone no mroe drunk guys in armor, no more 300 clips, and sparty woldn't make any sense.

Amazing jersey though.

Hi, how are you?

Gee, this must be a concept for a Canadian team because look, there is the maple leaf ALL over the thing!!!

I hate, hate, hate, the peace tower logo and I hate when people plaster their concepts with the Canadian flag!!! The only team that should have the Canadian flag is team CANADA!!!

Now, people always argue, like in the case of the Raptors or the Blue Jays that their is only one Canadian team so they represent all of Canada, well this is not the case with hockey so lose the flag.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

Besides the fact that, as previously said, these look too much like team Canada, the fact that there's a maple leaf in the primary would never work, since it essentially uses half of the Toronto logo.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived