Super Bowl XLV

broncoempire

Today the NFL announced that Super Bowl XLV, to be held February 6, 2011, has been awarded to the New Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. North Texas (as the league is calling the area) defeated Indianapolis on the fourth ballot to win the big game. Glendale was eliminated after the second ballot. Two questions:

1. Will they really be able to get the capacity to 100,000 like they claim they can get the stadium to?

2. How's everyone feel about this?

Just out of curiosity, and if it's pretty common knowledge then just assume I'm a moron and move on, but when was the last time, if ever, a team played in a Super Bowl in it's home stadium?

To the best of my knowledge, it has never happened. Although the 49ers did play at Stanford in Super Bowl XIX, and Pittsburgh did beat the LA Rams in Pasadena in Super Bowl XIV.

I saw, I came, I left.

Yup. No team has ever played the Super Bowl in its home stadium. You trying to insinuate that you're pulling for the 'Boys to do it that year? :P

But yeah, to answer the first two intial questions:

1. Hell yeah. Football is king in Texas, they'd probably have trouble fitting that many people in there for the Super Bowl.

2. I think it's awesome. The new stadium looks great.

Yup. No team has ever played the Super Bowl in its home stadium. You trying to insinuate that you're pulling for the 'Boys to do it that year? :P

HELL... NO!!!! They are the last team I'd ever want to do that. I was just wondering, with it being their new stadium, and their Super Bowl history and all. But, no way would I want them to be the first team to win play a Super Bowl in their own stadium.

As a native of the Metroplex I'm thrilled to get the Super bowl in our neck of the woods. I'm sure Indianapolis will get one of the subsequent games.

For those who don't know the area, here is a map with stadium locations:

map2-1.jpg

Personally I would have liked to have seen the new stadium in downtown Dallas, but our Mayor and Jerry butted heads over several issues.

newsig.jpg

the mayor? yeah it was partly Laura Miller, but a lot of it had to do with Margaret Kelliher, part of the County Comissioners. She also had a lot to do with Dallas dropping the ball on this.

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

The new stadium will be in Arlington. Currently, the Cowboys play in Irving.

AH, Arlington, isn't that where the Rangers play? That must be why I assumed the Cowboys were in Arlington.

In terms of driving, how far is that from downtown Dallas? And is there any public transport out to that region?

I would prefer a big stadium to be in a suburb instead of downtown. You don't have much space for parking and tailgating and such of you're crammed downtown. Also, traffic wouldn't be as bad leaving in a suburb stadium as opposed to a downtown stadium.

Congrats to Dallas, they'll put on a helluvah Super Bowl, I'm betting. Does this make 2012 the next unannounced Super Bowl? Atlanta's running out of time to get a third Super Bowl, as the Dome will be 20 years old by then. Either those renovations are going to have to be spectacular, or Atlanta's going to have to offer a new venue.....

I would prefer a big stadium to be in a suburb instead of downtown. You don't have much space for parking and tailgating and such of you're crammed downtown. Also, traffic wouldn't be as bad leaving in a suburb stadium as opposed to a downtown stadium.

Congrats to Dallas, they'll put on a helluvah Super Bowl, I'm betting. Does this make 2012 the next unannounced Super Bowl? Atlanta's running out of time to get a third Super Bowl, as the Dome will be 20 years old by then. Either those renovations are going to have to be spectacular, or Atlanta's going to have to offer a new venue.....

the sad part is where i live, i'll never get to witness a super bowl in NYC ever in my life. :cursing:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

As a native of the Metroplex I'm thrilled to get the Super bowl in our neck of the woods. I'm sure Indianapolis will get one of the subsequent games.

For those who don't know the area, here is a map with stadium locations:

map2-1.jpg

Personally I would have liked to have seen the new stadium in downtown Dallas, but our Mayor and Jerry butted heads over several issues.

About how far is the new Cowboys Stadium from Rangers Ballpark?

about a few streets over. in fact right now, there's a wal-mart across a side of the new stadium and you can walk to rangers ballpark from there. it's not a short walk, but it's not a long walk either.

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

My Webpage

about a few streets over. in fact right now, there's a wal-mart across a side of the new stadium and you can walk to rangers ballpark from there. it's not a short walk, but it's not a long walk either.

well, walking past a wal-mart is not an easy task in of itself ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

true, true. lol okay, here's some better info. just go up Randol Mill from Rangers Ballpark till you get to Division Strret. The stadium is bounded by Randol Mill, Collins, Rogers & Division.

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

My Webpage

Super Bowl XLVI in 2012 is the next unawarded game. I've been hoping that Atlanta got another game for years now but each time the owners have felt the other way. It's a great city (love going there for a few days here and there) and they put on a good show. Its time to stop punishing them for a once every 50 years ice storm already and move on.

Archived