Eagles concept logo

Phil

The Eastview Eagles is the name of the Church-league teams my Church happens to use. As far as I know, we don't have a logo, so after many hours of figuring out a new way to present a bird-of-prey in a logo, I think I've got something. I haven't started even trying to get this instituted, but I may. Without further adieu.

Eastview%20Eagles%20Logo.gif

Eastview Eagles Logo

Feedback would be appreciated! (Questions, comments, criticisms, suggestions all more than welcome!)

PS. The first person to name the not-so-hidden element gets a prize!*

*Must answer the skill testing question correctly: What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The E in the Eaglewing

Skill answer: The Apocolypse.

Your logo:

I love the colors (see my fooball team)

Nice detail on the face, good shading as well.

Maybe think about doing something with the end of the bird, instead of having it dive into oblivion.

Feedback would be appreciated! (Questions, comments, criticisms, suggestions all more than welcome!)

For my money, the head element and the wing element are just too incongruous. Maybe it's the colour change, maybe it's the awkward angle for a wing, I'm not sure. They just don't sit so well together.

Agreed with above posters.

Maybe, instead of drawing the whole birds underbelly, you could do a stylized zig-zag, that comes to a point.

As to making the bird congruous (sp?) with the wing, try adding some more navy to the body of the bird, like just below his head crown feathers (like, on his chest) Either thicken up the lines on his head, or thin out the ones on his wings. Right now, the wing looks blue with light blue accents.. the rest looks white with a blue outline...  the outlined head/body vs. the filled-in dark blue of the wings doesn't match.

Sy, hopefully you take all this as constructive. I like the logo, and just want to help make it perfect, just like you help people all the time with constructive comments. I appreciate how you do that, so i want to to the same for you.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Sy -

like it.  Nice colors, nice rendering.

But as others have said, it's not very self contained.  Which is not to say that every single shape must be outlined.  Negative space is very important, but as is...its a little unfinished.

Also, anatomically speaking:

The persective of the bill is what is making it look short, and that is fine...but it also makes it look kind of more like a falcon.  And the wing element is the most troublesome.  It looks kind of tacked on.  Even in  highly stylized, not-at-all realistic Eagle logo like the Caps have, there is still the shoulder element.  Birds have 'shoulders' and its not clear to me where the wing is meeting the body.

anyway, hope you take this in stride.  ITs very promising and not to mention a pretty difficult task you assigned yourself.

Great start.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

The eagle head looks great. The wing looks weird, a little too much like fingers. And with only 3 fingers, the wing looks very incomplete. I understand why, to make it look like an "E" (similar to Philly), but maybe you could use a full wing and simulate an E in the ruffles of it, rather than just 3 extended feathers.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Well a logo on a helmet or field won't have the logo with it. THe logo and wordmark are two seperate things.

I think this logo is very well designed and constructed. Very good job.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Ooh... some meaty feedback...

...alas it is more fun to have everyone say "wow, that's the greatest logo in the history of the stratosphere", but constructive criticism is good too. :P

Sorry taj, that is the incorrect answer. It was a trick question. The answer was "This is impossible". Contest over. :D

You wouldn't believe the difficulty I had trying to find a picture of an eagle looking straight ahead with wings outstretched. 22 pages of Eagle photos on Google... not one decent one, and it's not like it should be that obscure. They spread their wings when they're about to take off, and have them spread when the land.

The "chest diving into oblivion" likely will not change. I want the head and the E/wing to be the focal points, and the easiest way to ensure that is to not include anything else.

I am trying very hard to expand my logo horizons. It used to be that every one of my logos was a wordmark. (Check my site... especially the fantasy logos, where you can see that every single logo made in the year 2002 was a glorified clipart-wordmark combination.) So yeah, I'm gonna try and make this a little more distinctive than that. But thanks for the heads-up Cuss16.

There's a few problems I've had, some you've mentioned. I agree the neck-wing connection isn't the best, and the colouring of the eagle (supposedly a bald eagle right now, with the white head and dark wings, but that may change depending on what I do with the wings and chest) needs fixing.

The beak needs lengthening I realize now (I think that's what you meant by 'bill' right Sterling?), and I think I actually get what you mean by the shoulder (the bend about a third of the way down the wing from the body on the leading edge of the wing?).

In reply to jpslapshot22's comment about the wing 'fingers'/feathers, I'll say I was going a bit for the effect achieved effectively by the previous Fresno Falcons logo. It's not perfect, I realize, but I want it to look like the E was purposely included, not as if there's some 3-pronged shading that vaaaguely resembles an E. I think following some of the other suggestions regarding the wings will help in this regard as well.

I'm not exactly sure when I'll get to working on this again, but so far the feedback's been great! I appreciate everyone's comments, no matter how much you posted!

Keep submitting your feedback, I've found every response, regardless if it's been said before or if it's only 5 words, very interesting and thought-provoking. :)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

My immediate thought is "Edward Scissorhands"...sorry

Also, I'm not really trying to be a prick, I just didn't pick up on the wing forming an E.

I'd say take the lightning-like line running down from the eagle's neck area out and terminate the left hand side of the head/neck at the end of the head feathers.  The roundness of the breast to me makes it resemble a smaller bird - robin/sparrow moreso than a raptor.  Also, if there is definition below the neck and leading into the body then anally-retentive ppl like me are more likely to see it as an amputee eagle.

All in all it's a good logo, the eye gives it good definition, making it look angry and less like a seagull than it otherwise could've been.  The highlights around the beak are good and work with the yellow highlight on the actual beak which to me makes it look sharp and raptor-ish...a good thing.

If you want to go with the raptor landing type thing then you could always work from the Atlanta Hawks logo.  Granted yours already look more menacing than that, but it may help to get the wings right.  You could use have wings spread, but highlight the right one with the E feathers somehow.

I think the Fresno F works better than your E because in the angle Fresno's bird is flying, you see the whole wing stylized for an F. Your bird looks like it has 3 long feathers or fingers sticking out. If there was a way to fatten up the wings instead of the "finger" look, you might be able to simulate a full wing better and it might not looks as awkward.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I understand the frustration on finding the picture to work from-I haven't a lot of logos recently that were not related to

Madden, and it's tough to get logos for some teams when I get a name I really like for a team.  Maybe one day I'll get a scanner, and upload some logos I drew as a kid.

Anyway--on to the logo--I like it--and if I had a team called the Eagles--I'd consider using it.  The "E" in the wing is good, the colours blend well.

The main thing I'd change is closing the bottom of the logo for some sports--for example a football helmet--but on a hockey jersey, ball cap, etc...it would work, and not be bland, or derivative.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Yeah Sy - by bill, I meant beak.  I had a brain fart.  Its just that neither one of those words sounds appropriate for an eagle.  One sounds duck, one sounds chickadee.  Is there a third word I'm forgetting?  You know, like other birds have claws and eagles have talons. Hmmm, whatever.

I thought of one more thing...and i don't say it to be jerky.  Because I really do like it and think its a great start.  But I looked back today and got a total turn signal vibe from it.  It looks as thought the eagle is pointing somewhere.  While you may not want to encorporate the other wing, just thought I'd bring that up.

Good luck man.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Thanks taj...

a couple of my own comments...

First off, realism is a moderately high priority, secondary to the goals stated above (the two parts of the bird, the cartoon-realistic head and the E/wing, and nothing more), and perspective in this case makes up a lot of what will make this logo or break it. Right now, that method of closure is killing the perspective, but I am formulating a method by which I may be able to close the bottom of the logo, as well as a separate method of fixing up the wing.

Number55, don't worry about what I'm going to think of what you say. Unless you go on a profanity-laced tirade about how my terrible drawing style reflects what kind of horrible and disgusting person I am, I won't think less of you for saying what's on your mind. I will not, however, work from the Atlanta Hawks logo. It's a slippery slope when you start to glean ideas from other logos, and with this logo, I wanted to break relatively new ground in the raptor-bird-logo market. Don't worry, there's other ways of fixing the wing.

I will figure it out.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Syphi - I guess the difference from where I'm coming from as opposed to the way you do things is that I can't draw to save myself, whereas from what I've seen of your sketches you are quite a good artist (eg. the Kearsley Hornet).  That's why I'd look at adapting the Hawks logo...

:)

It's all good

• 3 months later...

Partly because I really don't feel like studying, I'm trying to breathe new life into some of my older unfinished logo concepts...

Behold... round 2...

Eastview%20Eagles%20Logo%202.gif

Eastview Eagles Logo, Version 2

I know I've been a bit of a jerk and blatantly disregarded certain suggestions (like closing up the body area), but I feel I have to be true to myself, and all that other self-satisfaction/self-fulfillment mumbo-jumbo. Yeah, I know I said I was "formulating a method by which I may be able to close the bottom of the logo". It never materialized. (Insert random hockey cliche following a close loss here.)

The wing is more realistic now, but I've tried to keep the E in there somehow. The beak is longer and more eagle-like now.

Give me your two cents worth here. (Money orders preferred.) Opinions could be useful too...

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Mush better.. i'm not entirely sure why, but the total improvemnt is greater than the sum of the parts you changed.

The wing looks FAR better now.

The beak looks nice.

I think with a good wordmark, one might not even notice the open body.

Nice work.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I think with a good wordmark, one might not even notice the open body.

That's exactly what I was going to say. If you put a wordmark underneath the bird, I don't know that you'd notice the whole open body thing. This wouldn't solve the problem for you primary logo without the wordmark, but I think that your revision was great. I don't have much authority, but there's my two cents.

Archived