Winnipeg back on nhl radar

Lee.

If Carolina ever moved I am almost positive Detroit would be the most likely. Seeing as Canes owner, owned Compuware which played in a Detroit Sub. 2nd Detroit team would def be cool and would be second child. Great for Red Wings fans seeing as product would always have to be better than cross-town rivals.

There's no way in hell the Red Wings would allow a second team to move into their market.

Why do you think Hamilton has never had a team? Buffalo and Toronto have put the crush on that market getting a franchise many times.

More specifically, there's no way in hell the Ilitch-owned Red Wings would let the Karmanos-owned Hurricanes move to Detroit.  Ilitch and Karmanos have hated each other for years and one would never do a favor for the other.

It might be different if the team was Davidson's Tampa Bay Lightning.  Olympia Entertainment (Ilitch) and Palace Sports & Entertainment (Davidson) have been getting along very well together in recent years, after about ten years of feuding.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With a new arena in Arizona that wont happen, perhaps it shoudl happen since Phoenizx is a terrible place for hockey, but too much money was spent on the arena.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Nashville denied being the team... right now the frontrunners are Carolina and Florida. And it has been confirmed that it was NOT the owner who called, but it is believed to be a high ranking official in the team's pecking order.
WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Nashville denied being the team... right now the frontrunners are Carolina and Florida. And it has been confirmed that it was NOT the owner who called, but it is believed to be a high ranking official in the team's pecking order.

Check that...

In yesterday's Winnipeg Free Press, Scott Taylor notes that Craig Leipold (Preds' owner) was NOT the man who made the call. In today's paper, Randy Turner reveals that "it was a legitimate player, although not an owner". ('Player' in this context means high ranking official, as opposed to a teammate I assume.)

So my previous statement was incorrect, Nashville is still a possibility, but rumours I've heard are favouring Carolina and Florida anyway.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Florida sounds like an interesting team to be moving. I wouldn't mind seeing the Panthers move up north. I would like to see the Coyotes go back, I think it's iffy them moving back thought. Id on't know about anyone else, but unless it is the Coyotes moving, I really don't think a team that might relcate should use the name Jets. I like the sound of it, but really, if its not THE team, then its time for a different identity

I like the sound of it, but really, if its not THE team, then its time for a different identity

I wouldn't want it anything other than the Jets (although it's not like I'd turn down a team if they weren't going to be named the Jets, I just wouldn't appreciate the new name). I think doing something like the Cleveland Browns got to do with their two incarnations of the team would be ideal.

...and the Free Press has thrown a bit of water on the fire, rightly saying that realistically nothing will happen unless great strides are made with the CBA. It is fun to speculate, and the fact that there's all the rumours abounding means that the general public wants to believe this is going to happen.

I'm kind of split on this issue... do you think it will make Bettman barter a little less tougher vs. Goodenow if it was going to make Winnipeg return (this is the man who engineered the Jets-Coyotes transfer with dreams of sugar plums and TV dollars dancing in his head) and perhaps expose himself to embarrassment. Or will he barter harder, knowing a team in Winnipeg would actually improve the fan situation of the league, and perhaps get some good publicity for himself?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I hate to say it but I really highly doubt that Winnipeg will get a team. The NHL wants to stay away from Canada in some cases. I don't blame them because they have to pay them a fat sack of cash every year. I think if a team did relocate then it would be in areas that were kind of thought of to be in a big-market area within the USA. Like Seattle, Portland, Indianapolis, and other places not yet boasting an NHL team. I wish it did come back but I do see it as unlikely.

Like Seattle, Portland, Indianapolis, and other places not yet boasting an NHL team. I wish it did come back but I do see it as unlikely.

Seattle and Indy don't have NHL-ready arenas (Key Arena and Conseco Fieldhouse are like AWA) and any NHL team in Portland would pretty much have to be owned by Paul Allen, who says he's not interested anymore.

A) First and foremost, I'd have trouble rooting for an NHL franchise based in Winnipeg that wasn't called the Jets.  But that's just me, I'm dirty like that.

B) It's neat how certain Winnipeg media outlets are ready to kill this idea outright, while others are firmly behind it.  Why are CJOB (the big info station) and the Free Press ready to shoot down anyone who forwards the idea, while the Xian rock channel and the Sun want it to succeed? Are the big two part owners in the Moose? WTF?

C) Other than us, what's the consensus in the rest of Canada? Does Toronto care if Winnipeg comes back to the league, or does that go against their "Big City Sports" mentality (Sorry, Chris, I know that's an Argo/NFL beef in TO)?  I can see Edmonton and Calgary welcoming us back wholeheartedly...but what about TO, Montreal and Ottawa?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

B) It's neat how certain Winnipeg media outlets are ready to kill this idea outright, while others are firmly behind it. Why are CJOB (the big info station) and the Free Press ready to shoot down anyone who forwards the idea, while the Xian rock channel and the Sun want it to succeed? Are the big two part owners in the Moose? WTF?

I think the Big Two want it to succeed, but it's true, we have gotten quite ahead of ourselves. If Bettman doesn't manage take Goodenow to the cleaners, Winnipeg's not going to get a team, and even if we did, we'd eventually be in the same money-losing boat as we were in 96. That's after the novelty of the team and a new arena wears off, which would take a while, but would happen eventually, especially if the team struggles to win in the first decade.

...and no, apart from a '99 Moose road "Wiebe #9" replica jersey (customized with heat-sealed numbers that look almost exactly like the real numbers the Noose wear), I own no part of the team. :)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

C) Other than us, what's the consensus in the rest of Canada? Does Toronto care if Winnipeg comes back to the league, or does that go against their "Big City Sports" mentality (Sorry, Chris, I know that's an Argo/NFL beef in TO)?  I can see Edmonton and Calgary welcoming us back wholeheartedly...but what about TO, Montreal and Ottawa?

I dont know where this perception comes from but Toronto does care about the rest of Canada.   We are definately rooting for Winnipeg to get another NHL team, it's in our papers, on our News, etc.

After the Leafs are eliminated we generally cheer for whatever Canadian team remains.  I've never seen anything different than that ever.  Hell we were rooting for the Habs in the 1993 Stanley Cup finals.

That's the way it is here, and that's the way it'll always be here.   We love Canada, and we root for all of our national brothers.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Down in the south, as you might guess, this story doesn't appear at all. The only way it will make news as if a team leaves. Honestly, I could care, as long as it isn't the Thrashers. I'd rathe rnot see the hurricanes change, cause I kinda like their logo/unis/etc.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Down in the south, as you might guess, this story doesn't appear at all. The only way it will make news as if a team leaves. Honestly, I could care, as long as it isn't the Thrashers. I'd rathe rnot see the hurricanes change, cause I kinda like their logo/unis/etc.

In a way, knowing that there is little to no mention of this in the US doesn't surprise me much. After losing many of our teams, alot of Canadians no doubt would be excited at the prospect of having a team come back.

The Canes barely get any news coverage as it is, and the rest of the league is pretty much ignored by the local news media, not to mention local retaillers (but, I'll save that rant for another time).

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived