I'm Sure Selig would love this

mydogisgomez

This would be huge. I think if Cuban buys the team that they will be making the playoffs with consistancy starting in a couple of years and likely even win a series. I know that the Mavs have never won it all, but now he'd be working in a sport with no salary cap.

If I was a Cubs fan, I'd really be hoping for this.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So wait there are two men who want to buy the Cubs, Jerry Colangelo former owner of the Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks and Mark Cuban, Owner of the Dallas Mavericks and man that pretty much 360'ed a team logo in under one year. Can't wait to see how this unfolds, Question is, will the Cubs get a Cubanized makeover if Cuban buys the Cubs?

So wait there are two men who want to buy the Cubs, Jerry Colangelo former owner of the Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks and Mark Cuban, Owner of the Dallas Mavericks and man that pretty much 360'ed a team logo in under one year. Can't wait to see how this unfolds, Question is, will the Cubs get a Cubanized makeover if Cuban buys the Cubs?

the Mavericks didn't end up facing the same way they started, so they did a 180 degree turn in one year. besides, the turnaround started with Nelson the previous season - according to the Wikis, their first 40-win season in just over 10 years.

this rumor floated around earlier in the year...I'd honestly like to see him buy the Pirates and make *them* contenders again, because that's his hometown team and that franchise deserves much, much better than what they're getting now.

harperdc.gif

I have heard that if Cuban would by a MLB franchise it would've been the Cubs (due to their history) or the Pirates (his hometown). Since Tribune Co. is selling, I figure that Cuban thinks this is time to pounce. I'm not familiar with the Pirate ownership (save the general consensus of their ineptness), perhaps they aren't selling.

I agree though. I would have liked to see Cuban buy the Pirates instead, since the Cubs are essentially contenders now.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I bet despite Cubans money Selig and the lords of baseball wont let this happen.

I don't really see why not.

I did not think about it from a uniform place though. I hope he would not push for a huge change. I think he'd keep the great home uniform intact, but he may do something different on the roads.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I bet despite Cubans money Selig and the lords of baseball wont let this happen.

Because Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't like him, has Selig pretty much in his back pocket, and has a considerable amount of clout among the other owners.

Because Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't like him, has Selig pretty much in his back pocket, and has a considerable amount of clout among the other owners.

Cuban is also business partners with Tom Hicks, the Rangers owner, in other endeavors and I'm sure Hicks would be in Cuban's corner when it came to league approval.

Then again, I believe that Major League Baseball has a tradition to uphold by making sure that owners have character and integrity: people like George Steinbrenner, Rupert Murdoch, Marge Schott, Jerry Reinsdorf, Bud Selig, Jeff Loria, and George Bush. Take a hike, Mark. You just don't make the cut.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

ESPN has a story about Mark Cuban wanting to buy the Chicago Cubs. I can already see his own personal committee being put in place to judge how umpires call balls and strikes. That being said, the guy hates to lose and backs it up with $$$. May be what the doctor ordered.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2934920

Throwing money at the problem doesn't always work *cough Redskins cough*...you have to throw it at the right people. Yes...the Tribune company was bashed for being miserly, but IIRC the Cubs usually have had one of the higher payrolls in baseball.

That said...him buying the Cubs and spending money like no tomorrow might be what it takes to get the Cardinals to spend money.

I think Pinella's only going to be around for 2 or 3 years before he gets fed up and quits, gets fired, or "Cubs-manager-in-training Ryno" finally learns how to manage a baseball team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Cuban's no dummy. He's been lauded for bringing more metric analysis into basketball and revolutionizing that particular aspect of the game. he has the funds to land the big players he may need, but it's not like he's just going to throw money at anything that blinks. He let Steve Nash walk because he felt that he wasn't worth the asking price. The Mavericks made the Finals. This is the guy that just spends like mad?

Strikeout.jpg

Here is the first picture of the new owner. Oh! you said mark Cuban, not a Cuban.

wwwaufderaxemo2.jpg

I only come around here once in a while to annoy you people, and by people I mean you mutha :censored:as.

There is no way that MLB / Selig should allow Cuban to purchase the Cubs....

.... however, they should encourage him to buy the Phillies.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Tell me why 29 people should forbid, or even be able to forbid, somebody from buying a baseball team. What if Cuban is the highest bidder? The Tribune has a fiduciary responsibility to sell to him.

Archived