Iraq and Vietnam meet in soccer match

MisterE

Oh they have, about the conditions being hot and humid.

If a player goes off on a stretcher, at the moment they can just get off the pitch and run straight back on, they should be forced to stay off for 5mins.

This is actually a very good idea.

Glad to see that the Iraqi people have something to cheer about. All things considered!

As a Dane I would like to know what you Americans (and all you other people from around the world) feel about the war in Iraq, this so-called War on Terrorism????

I've heard Danish soldiers saying that their presence hasn't really been worthwhile, maybe it's actually made things worse.

For those of you that don't know, Denmark had like 400 soldiers in Iraq until recently (I think we had like 8 casualties in four years) I know it doesn't sound like that many but consider the fact that Denmark has only about 5.5 million citizens...

celticssig5.jpg

Purdy please, vote for me: http://nha.sportslogos.net/name_change/ Thanks in advance.

You really don't want to open that Pandora's Box. Trust me.

That would classify as a "banned" political topic, right?

-------------------------------------------------

Oh well, if Angola and Portugal were able to play a fairly civil game in the '06 World Cup, surely Iraq and the US can do likewise if they meet.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh well, if Angola and Portugal were able to play a fairly civil game in the '06 World Cup, surely Iraq and the US can do likewise if they meet.

... well I'm not as concerned about Iraq vs US as much as I am with, say, Iran vs Israel, which would most likely never happen. :blink:

I saw, I came, I left.

Or Palestine v Israel

The great thing about sport is no matter what political problems are going on, when it comes to sport, all that is put behind them.

Cricket... Pakistan v India

That's what I like about the Olympics, the uniting of people from all different backgrounds.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Or Palestine v Israel

The great thing about sport is no matter what political problems are going on, when it comes to sport, all that is put behind them.

Cricket... Pakistan v India

That's what I like about the Olympics, the uniting of people from all different backgrounds.

.... well not quite. In the 2004 Olympics, an Iranian wrestler forfeited his match against an Israeli wrestler.

I saw, I came, I left.

... well I'm not as concerned about Iraq vs US as much as I am with, say, Iran vs Israel, which would most likely never happen. :blink:

Umm... anybody remember the 1998 World Cup? The US was in a pool with nothing but past or present enemies. Other than the team pooping the metaphorical bed with their shoddy play, there were no major incidents despite facing a 2-time opponent in World Wars (Germany), an Axis of Evil member nation that regards us as The Great Satan (Iran), and a country we bombed in the name of stopping ethnic cleansing (Yugoslavia).

PS - Post #4900. 98% of the way to my plaid jacket! :P

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Umm... anybody remember the 1998 World Cup? The US was in a pool with nothing but past or present enemies. Other than the team pooping the metaphorical bed with their shoddy play, there were no major incidents despite facing a 2-time opponent in World Wars (Germany), an Axis of Evil member nation that regards us as The Great Satan (Iran), and a country we bombed in the name of stopping ethnic cleansing (Yugoslavia).

PS - Post #4900. 98% of the way to my plaid jacket! :P

.... and who in the end bombed out? The US.

I do recall the Iran match, I didn't remember the other teams in that pool.

I saw, I came, I left.

.... well not quite. In the 2004 Olympics, an Iranian wrestler forfeited his match against an Israeli wrestler.

That makes so little sense to me. If I really hated someone, I'd love the chance to legally knock the crap out of him in front of an international audience.

If I really hated someone, I'd love the chance to legally knock the crap out of him in front of an international audience.

The thing about wrestling: as long as you're on that mat, even though you don't know your opponent personally, damn do you hate him for those 6 minutes.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

That makes so little sense to me. If I really hated someone, I'd love the chance to legally knock the crap out of him in front of an international audience.

Hatred is irrational.

Think about all the teams in the 40s/50s/60s that wouldn't take the field/court/whatever that refused to play against teams with black players on them.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Anyone remember Ireland v. Northern Ireland in World Cup '94?

There's some hatred for ya....

Point is, they still played. The US and USSR played against eachother many times despite the hatred. (The two boycotts not withstanding). Not playing a sport because of political, ethnic, or racial hatreds against everything sport is about. Sports is about proving yourself on the field, court, track, or ice of play, despite any outside prejudices...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Anyone remember Ireland v. Northern Ireland in World Cup '94?

There's some hatred for ya....

I assume you meant the qualifying, not the final tournament.

What I think will be really interesting is if Israel and Iran are put in the same World Cup group. Would they play? I assume if Iran forfeits, that they would be fined and banned from the next (or more) World Cup. They were in the same group when in my WC when I played the video game last year. I had a little chuckle over that.

Archived