1979 Pirates question

Blue Falcon

Oh, sorry. Misunderstood your question.

That I can't help with. It's a pretty substantial research project you're talking about....

Actually, I have the 1979 DVD Box Set (all seven games); if I have time, at some point this weekend I'll pop in each disc to figure it out for you.

Oh, sorry. Misunderstood your question.

That I can't help with. It's a pretty substantial research project you're talking about....

Actually, I have the 1979 DVD Box Set (all seven games); if I have time, at some point this weekend I'll pop in each disc to figure it out for you.

Man, I wish they had a DVD set for the 1991 Series.

Anyway, did the Pirates really still have the gold caps in '79? I really only remember the black caps by then. Whatever the color, those were some awesome caps.

20082614447.png

Just from about 10 minutes of looking through Getty Images turned up the following info. I couldn't find anything on Game 6, unfortunately. :(

Game 1 10/10/79, at Baltimore - Black Jersey, Yellow Pants, Yellow Cap (Baltimore - Orange Jersey)

Game 2:10/11/79, at Baltimore - Yellow Jersey, Black Pants, Black Cap

Game 3:10/12/79, Pittsburgh - Pinstripe Jersey, Pinstripe Pants, Black Cap

Game 4:10/13/79, Pittsburgh - Yellow Jersey, Yellow Pants, Black Cap

Game 5:10/14/79, Pittsburgh - Black Jersey, Yellow Pants, Yellow Cap

Game 6:10/16/79, at Baltimore

Game 7:10/17/79, at Baltimore - Yellow Jersey, Black Pants, Black Cap (Baltimore - Orange Jersey)

And yes, they did wear the yellow caps in '79 :)

sig1.gif

Thanks for that! But I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's listed anywhere which combos were worn for which games. (Usually I don't care about baseball, but that's my fave team. I'm tracking all the NFL uni combos worn back to 1960, and am about 40% complete right now.)

Good for you if you can get this, but why would an official scorer even have that information, more or less someone who is on this site at their age. Is it really that important? While you're looking at ste with people with specific information, I think you could be just too specific. Will thich shoes for the starting 9 be next? Nike, Pony, Adidas, or Spot-bilt? Plus, shouldn't this be under "Requests"?

Anyway, did the Pirates really still have the gold caps in '79? I really only remember the black caps by then. Whatever the color, those were some awesome caps.

I seem to remember the Pirates occasionally wearing the gold caps as late as 1985, but by that time it was akin to seeing a flying pig - by that time the black pillbox style was pretty much the every-day.

nav-logo.png

As I recall, they wore whatever combination Willie Stargell dreamed for that day's game, or something to that effect.

Cranium is partially right. There was no rhyme or reason to the uni's combinations, although I am not sure if Willie was the one picking them out. I talked to Kent Tekulve about this and he said they had to post the uniform combination with the lineup cards in the clubhouse cause they changed so much.

I read Blue Falcon's original question to mean he/she was looking for the combinations for every regular season game, not just The Series.

Indeed, that is what I'm looking for. I honestly wish the Pirates would bring these unis back...there's no reason a baseball team can't have a bunch of uniforms for a 162-game season. All this crap about 'preserving tradition' and 'honoring the past' with home whites and road grays is pretty much passe in this era of Barry Bonds' inflated biceps. :D

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

there's no reason a baseball team can't have a bunch of uniforms for a 162-game season.

Well, no reason except for aesthetic sense and good judgment.... :P

nl_1979_pittsburgh.gif

And it's hard to say that any of these meet that standard. IIRC, those were pretty wide gold-AND-black pinstripes.

Packers-2.png

Archived