MLB Interleague next season

jtthasportfreak

I must be a sentimental fool, but since New York of the American League is playing their last season at Yankee Stadium, one would think the schedule makers would shine down on them. Not so fast !

Not only are they slated to finish ON THE ROAD at Boston, they finish Sept. 21 hosting Baltimore (of all teams) in their final home game. In Interleague play, the Yankees face the Mets home-and-home.

The Padres and Reds are scheduled to visit Yankee Stadium. Why not Los Angeles (Dodgers) ? The Giants had the chance to return there for the first time since the '62 WS. Some the most famous moments in baseball history happened between the Dodgers and the Yankees in the Bronx: the Game Six whitewashing in 1981, Reggie Jackson in '77, Johnny Podres winning for Brooklyn in '55, Al Gionfriddo's one-handed catch against the bullpen robbing Joe DiMaggio in '47 and many others.

Now I know that in the regular season such memories as those mentioned couldn't possibly be recreated, but matching them up in The Stadium's last hurrah would have been an extra special touch. And you know Vin Scully would have lifted his own traveling ban on calling road games east of Denver (though he called the three game series this year at Wrigley Field) to wax poetic as only he can. The Yankees made the visit to Dodger Stadium a few years ago, why not return the favor ?

Because I think there's a system for who a team plays in interleague play... I'm not entirely sure what it is, though.

I thought I read that the Yankees asked a favor from the Red Sox, which would be to play the final series of the season at Yankee Stadium as opposed to Fenway and play the series between the two teams before it in Fenway. I think it's better that the Yankees finish on the road, to be honest. It'll be kind of it's own special occassion this way, and I'm not so sure it would if it happened on the Final day of the regular season.

IUe6Hvh.png

• 1 month later...

There is clearly no "system" in place. Case in point:

The Cardinals schedule was released last week & I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this. The NL Central is supposed to be matched with the AL East for 2008. Now, I understand the difference in # of teams in each division screws it up, but how can it be that the Cards only face 2 AL East teams ( vs. Rays/ @ BoSox), but also play AT Detroit for the 3rd consecutive year?!

Never mind the fact that the Tigers aren't even in the AL East, but there's no way in hell any team should face the same non-"rival" interleague team 3 years in a row, much less playing said team on the road each time! That's beyond maddening!

A compelling argument as to why St. Louis should have been considered to play @ Yankee Stadium in its final year could have been made too, but that's not the biggest issue.

The Cardinals schedule was released last week & I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this. The NL Central is supposed to be matched with the AL East for 2008. Now, I understand the difference in # of teams in each division screws it up, but how can it be that the Cards only face 2 AL East teams ( vs. Rays/ @ BoSox), but also play AT Detroit for the 3rd consecutive year?!

Never mind the fact that the Tigers aren't even in the AL East, but there's no way in hell any team should face the same non-"rival" interleague team 3 years in a row, much less playing said team on the road each time! That's beyond maddening!

A compelling argument as to why St. Louis should have been considered to play @ Yankee Stadium in its final year could have been made too, but that's not the biggest issue.

I have a feeling it is due to the fact that the NL has 2 extra teams than the AL, which means there will always be ONE NL series going on during Interleague play. The Cards unfortunately are ending up being one of those teams involved in NL play.

I have a feeling it is due to the fact that the NL has 2 extra teams than the AL, which means there will always be ONE NL series going on during Interleague play. The Cards unfortunately are ending up being one of those teams involved in NL play.

That's not his point. It's the fact that they are playing AT Detroit for the third straight season. Which is messed up. Should be on rotation, but if they're gonna play them three years in a row, one of those series' should at least be in St. Louis.

The Jays are playing at (non-rival) Philadelphia for the 3rd straight year in 2008, I'm sure every team has their odd weirdness with the schedule

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

The White Sox are playing non-rival Pittsburgh for the third year in a row, except this year, they're on the road after two years of hosting the Pirates. Kinda quirky that we'd play them three in a row. In addition, Houston came to the Cell in '06 and '07. They don't play this year at all, much less in Houston.

Not only are they slated to finish ON THE ROAD at Boston, they finish Sept. 21 hosting Baltimore (of all teams) in their final home game.

Why an "of all teams" for Baltimore being the opponent the Yankees face closing out Yankee Stadium? Sure it would be nice if they played the Red Sox but if you asked me for a second choice as a Yankee fan it would be Baltimore. It's a team the Yankees have plenty of history against as a rival. Also given the Yankees historic ties to Baltimore i think it is an appropriate choice for an opponent for the final regular season game at the Stadium. An inappropriate choice would be the Devil Rays not the Orioles.

Archived