Toronto roadrunners join the ahl

Lee.

tor_logo_lg.jpg

From the AHL website:  

"The Toronto Roadrunners have officially been welcomed as the American Hockey League's 29th active franchise, to begin play in the 2003-04 season. The Roadrunners name, logo and uniform were unveiled at a press conference today on the construction site of the new Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto.

The Roadrunners will serve as the top development team of the NHL's Edmonton Oilers, and play their home games at the Ricoh Coliseum, located at the National Trade Centre on the grounds of Canadian National Exhibition Place. The historic Coliseum, which opened in 1922, is undergoing a $38-million renovation to become a state-of-the-art 10,000-seat facility.

"We're proud to add one of the world's foremost hockey cities into the American Hockey League," said AHL President and CEO David Andrews. "The Roadrunners bolster our Canadian Division and will instantly create some great on-ice rivalries."

I Couldn't find any pics of the jerseys, but apparently the roads "look a lot like the Oilers' jerseys".  Anyone have any further info?  Hopefully the thirds won't be those awful blue & silver flame jerseys they used to use in Phoenix.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

As estastic as I am to see an affordable pro hockey team in town, I give these guys less than 5 years before they are outta town...  unfortunately my city doesn't support any minor league teams (except for the Rock, what's up with that?   ??? )

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Someone explain me the story of the Runners to me?  Were they a part of the IHL/AHL merger?  I know they ceased operations the season after the Coyotes moved from Winnipeg.

BTW, looking at the colors the Road Runner is wearing, (the same colors as the Oiler alternates) I think they're going to be in the Oilers 3rds jerseys of some sort.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Someone explain me the story of the Runners to me?  Were they a part of the IHL/AHL merger?  I know they ceased operations the season after the Coyotes moved from Winnipeg.

BTW, looking at the colors the Road Runner is wearing, (the same colors as the Oiler alternates) I think they're going to be in the Oilers 3rds jerseys of some sort.

I had that same thought puckguy.

From the Manitoba Moose 1997-98 Media Guide, p. 64, underneath a chart displaying the 1997-98 IHL Alignment, addressing team changes from 1996-97:

"The Phoenix Roadrunners, previously in the Southwest Division, have suspended operations for the 1997-98 season."

In the same media guide, in the IHL Timeline (p. 57-59), it does not address Phoenix's suspension of operations, saying only that "October 2, 1997: The IHL begins its 53rd season, fielding 18 teams."

The Phoenix Roadrunners entered the IHL in the Fall of 1989.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

With the return of the Pens' original mascot and now the third go-around for the Roadrunner, it seems as if skating, retro-cartoon birds are back in vogue.

And I say welcome back fellas!

this is not happening......this is not happening......this is not happening......this is not happening......this is not happening......this is not happening......this is not happening......this is not happening......this is not happening......this is not happening......this is not happening......this is not happening......this is not happening......

He had moved them there to be part of the IHL but, when that league folded his was not one of the "6" that was tagging along.

I think, after the AHL nutshell game stops, this is the Hamilton franchise being leased to Abraham from the Oilers. The Quebec franchise is then placed back in Hamilton as the sole Canadiens affiliate.

Abraham has been thru alot to finally get this thing off the ground, from constant protest form the Leafs and arena problems. Hoepfully for him it works out. Also, this could be a infusion of some much needed cash for the Oilers if it works out well.

Here's another article

I guess that is a good point, but I don't think some of them do look cheesy. And for those Padres unis...

They do look pretty bad but for you to be against every design that comes out using it as trim seems wrong. Although I guess maybe you honestly don't like them. I think brown can work especially as trim.

From the TSN.ca article (still can't find any pics from the press conference):

"The team also revealed its new uniform, which is silver and navy with a logo of a roadrunner holding a stick."

Definitely does sound like the McFarlane designed Oilers 3rd pattern.

-PSUCub

Archived