nike to buy umbro

pagan696

Before I go OT, I will say that the UMBRO's were some of the best looking soccer shorts ever, sad to see the soosh trump the diamond.

OT: What's up with all these mergers and corporate takeovers the last few years? Aren't we moving dangerously close to the antitrust issues that forced corp's to split, downsize, and the like?

packchampionslfroh.png

People are complaining because?

If anything, this means that Nike will help Umbro put out better kits. Anybody who's followed soccer knows that Nike has put out the best soccer kits in the world.

If they could translate that to some of the college football schools that ALLOW THEM to do what they do to them...

People are complaining because?

If anything, this means that Nike will help Umbro put out better kits. Anybody who's followed soccer knows that Nike has put out the best soccer kits in the world.

If they could translate that to some of the college football schools that ALLOW THEM to do what they do to them...

Exactly. What the link does not tell you is that Umbro will still be its own brand, like Nike already does with Converse for the athletic shoe market, and Cole Haan for casual and dress shoes.

The companies said Umbro, which has recommended the offer to its shareholders, is to fully retain its brand, and its headquarters will remain in the UK. Nike said the move would "significantly expand" its British presence. Nike has also told The F.A. that their kits will remain branded as Umbro.

An aside, takeovers and mergers are just a sign that the marketplace is becoming more global. Isn't it better to have a merger which cuts 4,000 jobs than a company go under and put 20,000 out of work? Look at the layoffs in the banking industry this week because of the sub-prime lending and you get an idea on competitive markets.

I don't particularly care about the topic at hand, but as an aside, I completely forgot about Umbro. Back in grammar school, kids wore Umbro shorts like they wear Hollister shirts now. I don't know why, really. Was this just in my area?

I don't particularly care about the topic at hand, but as an aside, I completely forgot about Umbro. Back in grammar school, kids wore Umbro shorts like they wear Hollister shirts now. I don't know why, really. Was this just in my area?

No, Umbro shorts were certainly popular in Upstate New York as well. My favorite pair of shorts were black with electric blue trim.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

No, Umbro shorts were certainly popular in Upstate New York as well. My favorite pair of shorts were black with electric blue trim.

Yep, I had a pair too--with a matching t-shirt. I didn't play soccer or generally give a rat's ass about it (and still don't), but I think my sisters gave them to me for my birthday in an effort to make me more stylish.

Archived