Turning against a team

NJTank

No way. I live for the Green Bay Packers, and I will never change no matter what happens. Theyre my team and always will be. just the way it is. and as for the blue jays, i def. dont like how they run the team at times and all of there stupid decidions but i still stick by them.

NBA, i like the raptors, just cause of closeness but no real hardcore favourite.

same with NHL but i like all Canadian Teams, but id probably say Ottawa is my favourite team.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad raised me as a Browns and Indians fan...but it didn't take long for me to want to root for other teams.

At the age of 12 I was a wide reciever on our PEE WEE football team and I was always rooting against my MOM's beloved Cowboys....I saw "THE CATCH" and have been a NINERS fan since.  Through Thick and thin, through releasing Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Jerry Rice etc...

I became a STL Cardinal fan in late 1982 and was blessed enough to root them on the World Series Title..and have been a fan ever since.  Got to Attend Ozzie Smith day in 1996 with my Dad after he and I made a BASEBALL Road Trip.  His Indians played the Final series of the year in KC..so, we road tirp to KC on Saturday and watched the Tribe...then drove across I-70 the next morning to watch the Final game in Ozzie's Career against the reds.  It was a great trip.

As far as the NHL...i never really got into Hockey, but now that I live in Chicago and got to go to a few Hawks games last year...ya gotta root for their sorry butts just out of pride for the hometeam...in the NBA, I was a Charlotte Hornets fan until the moved to New Orleans and I moved to Chicago...so now i root for the luvabulls (THEY ARE HOT) :)

i turned against the red wings as soon as they started winning and the sheep started flocking to JLA and i couldn't afford to go to games anymore. there's nothing worse than an idiot wearing an yzerman (who i love) jersey trying to talk about last night's game w/ no clue as to what actually happened.

i will never, ever, ever, in my life turn on the Detroit Tigers, Lions, Pistons, MSU Spartans, or Montreal Canadiens (the first game i ever saw live was in '81 @ Maple Leaf Gardens, The Habs beat the Leafs 3-2 in OT, therefore making my 8 year old impressionable mind make them my favorite team.)

Not by choice...

The Jets left, and so I adopted the Avalanche as my team.

The Bulls hold a special place in my heart. They get no exposure up North since MJ left, but I still cheer for them against almost anybody. The Grizzlies were my team in Canada in the NBA... then they left. I was a Vince Carter fan, so I migrated to the Raptors.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I was a Mets fan by default when I was a kid because my mom got free tickets through her office, so they were the only games I ever went to. In about first grade, one of my friends was getting on me about being a Mets fan, so I picked up a biography of Lou Gehrig and I went to my first Yankee game the next year (had to be around 1992ish). They were terrible back then (the Melido Perez/Mike Gallego/Pat Kelly era) but I instantly became a die-hard Yankee fan. I can still remember when Yankee seasons used to end at the end of the regular season.

I am loyal to the Yankees like no other pro team. I don't have a favorite NHL, NFL or NBA team, although that will change once the Nets come over to my hometown.

I've been an Orangemen fan since December 2002, when I got my acceptance letter.

Nope. I don't turn on my pro teams. Niners, Braves, and Hurricanes for fairer or poorer, in sickness or in health.

But, the NBA is something unpredictable. I could stand to decide on a team, but I don't really want to. I liked the Hornets until they moved, then it was a mixture of Grizzlies (Shane Battier, went to Duke and shares my name), Nuggets (my all-time favorite player, Alex English, played for them, and they wore the best basketball jerseys of all-time, the Rainbow Skylines), and the Clippers (Why not? Nobody else does). I think I'm going to end up dropping the Clippers from this equation and becoming a split Grizzly/Nugget fan. And when the Bobcats get here...not sure what I'll do. I'll be a Bobcat fan first with the Grizzlies and Nuggets equally second.  There is only one thing sure in the NBA, is that I don't like the Lakers.

College, I don't ally myself with one team. There's just too many teams. There are only 4 teams that I can say I don't like (Notre Dame, Michigan, Kansas, and Nebraska). College-wise, I'm a fan of any team from North or South Carolina. Yes, Duke-UNC, USC-Clemson, I ride the fence.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

i turned against the red wings as soon as they started winning and the sheep started flocking to JLA and i couldn't afford to go to games anymore. there's nothing worse than an idiot wearing an yzerman (who i love) jersey trying to talk about last night's game w/ no clue as to what actually happened.

Come back to the fold, I need help against those idiots you speak of.

I was a Steve Yzerman fan before I was a Red Wings fan and would have switched to the Senators (my cousin and I actually had an agreement that we'd both switch) had he been traded there like Bowman kept threatening in the early 90s.    Not having to worry about that anymore, I'll never switch from the Wings.

I'm also a Tigers and Lions fan but I've got "second teams" to help keep me occupied while they suck.  In baseball I've picked up the Houston Astros and football it's the St. Louis Rams.  I'm just a casual MLB and NFL fan and I hate the NBA but I'll still root for the Pistons.

Come back to the fold, I need help against those idiots you speak of.

I was a Steve Yzerman fan before I was a Red Wings fan and would have switched to the Senators (my cousin and I actually had an agreement that we'd both switch) had he been traded there like Bowman kept threatening in the early 90s. Not having to worry about that anymore, I'll never switch from the Wings.

I'm also a Tigers and Lions fan but I've got "second teams" to help keep me occupied while they suck. In baseball I've picked up the Houston Astros and football it's the St. Louis Rams. I'm just a casual MLB and NFL fan and I hate the NBA but I'll still root for the Pistons.

now that i live 2 hours from atlanta, i've become a thrashers fan.....as far as secondary teams, i live exactly halfway between charlotte and atlanta (my town is called Central), and at the beginning of last season, i chose the panthers mainly because their colors are closer to the lions than the falcons.....in baseball, i root for the red sox, a's, braves, and expos......but my first love will always be the Detroit Tigers.

I've never been able to truely have a secondary team. Now, in the playoffs when I can finally start watching again after my team misses them or gets eliminated, I usually pick a team to root for, or almost always against. However, I'm not one to pick up a secondary team just cuz my team sucks.

I like the Dallas Mavericks now, but I'll always ave a place in my heart for the Bulls. I remember as far back as the Bulls beating Sir Charles and the Suns in 1993. I like the Mavs, but I also will always like the Bulls.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

However, I'm not one to pick up a secondary team just cuz my team sucks.

I can only do it in baseball and football 'cause when it comes down to it, I don't give a damn.  Basketball I care even less about so I wouldn't bother picking another team.  Hockey, I could never switch for, I care too much.

Yes, for example, when I was little I loved John Elway, so I loved the Broncos, but after he retired, I didn't like Grese (or however u spell it) so I went to my hometown team, the Falcons

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Man am I so guilty of rule #1.  But my reasoning is that I am not a fan of one particular player, but of the team.  What happens if I go out and by a jersey with a players name on it, and then he turns around and screws us?  Case in point, Paul Kariya.

Just a thought, what if you were born in a city like in #18, and as you grew up you found legitimate reasons to hate your hometown team (examples: poor management, awful uniforms) but couldn't move away from the city, isn't that a reasonable exception?

I accept these truths:

1. I am a sports bigamist.

2. You don't care.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

MLB-for some reason i've always hated the Reds.  don't know, never tried to find out why.  all i know is no matter how bad the Cubs are i will watch them every year, as much as possible.

NHL-didn't really have a team before the Avs, cus the Blackhawks are run by chimps and the North Stars moved.  Couldn't imagine turning on em.

NFL-i'm on both sides of the rivalry, but i will never choose sides.  i bleed green and gold, but i also have blue and orange running through my veins.  flip side, i also took to the oilers back when they still luved da blue in Houston, and the Pats cus of the flying elvis and bledsoe, i'll admit.  and despite the Oilers now being the Titans and my intense hatred of Brady i can't turn on them either.

NBA-i'm a homer, and i'm still a little sore over the Ray for Glove trade.  but just a little.  just look at Redd and Cowboy :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived