MLS Miami Idea

fishheatcats

Ok this is a little complicated but stick with me. The best shot for Miami to get a team in MLS is the interest from the Argentinean team Boca Juniors and setting up a Chivas USA style team they would own. They've said they prefer Miami and New York as locations, and NY has one team already. So, as far as the logo and uniforms I've modified their logo, putting the CABJ(Club Atletico Boca Juniors) on top of the shield and Miami in the middle. This keeps the overall identity of the original team which I'm sure they'd want to expand their brand to America. The kits are pretty simple, I picked Carnival cause they are Miami based, and it looks better than Burger King lol.

bjmiamigc0.gif

EDIT: Tweaked blue color and added stripe under sponsor on front.

Now, for the stadium idea. Both the Marlins and MLS are interested in the Orange Bowl site. MLS is in very preliminary talks with the city, but they would jump on the site should the Fish go with another spot or move. I think they can both use the site. Here's my idea: Build a conjoining 2 purpose facility, similar to the original Orange Bowl/Marlins idea they had a few years back. The Boca Juniors suggested their MLS stadium would resemble their own, "La Bombonera" in Buenos Aires, only smaller. That stadium design is perfect to bump next to another one because one side is completely flat, with luxury boxes on the flat side. On the business side, the two different ownership groups could go in together on the project, with the MLS side forking up like 35% of the total cost, and renting the Marlins bigger stadium for the MLS Cup final in the baseball offseason. They could even have 1 admission day/night, baseball/soccer double headers in the summer, bringing fans from either league to the other one. I know I'd be at every one of those if they did that! Now, through the magic of Google Earth and Photoshop, here is a crude rendering of what this setup would look like from a blimp(I took Minute Maid Park from Houston, La Bombonera, and stuck them together on the footprint of the OB):

obfishmlser0.jpg

The only problem is parking, and personally I hate the OB as a site for the Marlins or anyone other than the 'Canes, but if a stadium gets done for the Fish or MLS it's for the better. C&C on both the stadium idea and uniforms, and if you read all of that good for you :D

Didn't MLS already fail in Miami? And that is basically Florida's ONLY option for a site. Officials have said there is no talk of any other site in South Florida. It's either Orange Bowl or Au Revoir.

And I don't think the Marlins would want a soccer stadium added on to their stadium.

The design looks good, however, I really don't pay enough attention to soccer to be able comment on whether the colors are right or go with the Chilean team.

I love the idea you've got going here, but I have a few problems. Boca's blue is more of a navy, whereas the blue used in your concept is more of a royal, so much so, that it borders upon being purple. Another problem, is that Boca is a Nike team, but the MLS is adidas exclusive. Finally, if this is doable on an adidas template (because Nike isn't really feasible for the MLS), try and make the kits resemble Boca Juniors' a little bit more (like Chivas de Guadalajara and Chivas USA).

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Didn't MLS already fail in Miami?

Not technically. The "Miami" Fusion actually played north of Fort Lauderdale, and although that's where I live, Miami would have much more success with the higher Hispanic community. As far as the colors go I actually sampled them directly from the original logo, and it looks blue to me, but I'll think about changing it up and making them look a bit more like the original team's.

A little note about the Boca Juniors logo you're using: the stars in the logo represent domestic and international league/competition championships. Since a Miami expansion team would have no incumbent championships, perhaps you could alter the shield to look more like Boca's current shield incarnation (but removing the three stars above the shield):

bocajuniorsrq9.jpg

A little note about the Boca Juniors logo you're using: the stars in the logo represent domestic and international league/competition championships. Since a Miami expansion team would have no incumbent championships, perhaps you could alter the shield to look more like Boca's current shield incarnation (but removing the three stars above the shield):

bocajuniorsrq9.jpg

Hmm... I didn't know they changed their logo, don't get a lot of South American soccer coverage here lol. How's this?

bjmiamiv2nd3.gif

Although this is a concept (and therefor doesn't need to be on any existing template), it would be intersesting to see your design put on an Onore (Chelea away), Golpe (Newcastle away), or Newcastle home/AC Milan template.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Another problem, is that Boca is a Nike team, but the MLS is adidas exclusive. Finally, if this is doable on an adidas template (because Nike isn't really feasible for the MLS), try and make the kits resemble Boca Juniors' a little bit more (like Chivas de Guadalajara and Chivas USA).

This actually wouldn't really matter. Chivas de Guadalajara have reebok kits, while Chivas USA sport the standard MLS issue adidas, so it's really a non-factor (unless Nike is more strict about this kind of thing than reebok).

As for the concept, I think it's a good idea. Your updated blue looks a lot better. Like others have stated, I think it would be better if you had the kits look more like their parent club. Also, an updated adidas template would look good, too (and updated MLS badge!).

Badger_zps8961c467.png

Another problem, is that Boca is a Nike team, but the MLS is adidas exclusive. Finally, if this is doable on an adidas template (because Nike isn't really feasible for the MLS), try and make the kits resemble Boca Juniors' a little bit more (like Chivas de Guadalajara and Chivas USA).

This actually wouldn't really matter. Chivas de Guadalajara have reebok kits, while Chivas USA sport the standard MLS issue adidas, so it's really a non-factor (unless Nike is more strict about this kind of thing than reebok).

Yes, Chivas de Guadalajara is sponsored by Reebok, but Reebok is an adidas subsidiary (like Brand Jordan, Converse, and Umbro with Nike), so, essentially, there's no financial loss for adidas. Also, Nike is ultra-strict when it comes to whom they allow to wear their jerseys, so I doubt they would try to strike a deal with adidas.

In the future, though, as the MLS grows and expands, I could see them dropping the adidas-exclusive jersey rights so as to be more like the UEFA.

Carnival, as in the cruise line, on the uniforms?

And this is why MLS isn't considered seriously. Can you imagine doing something like that with MLB, NFL, NHL or NBA uniforms?

Pretty much every major soccer league in the world have sponsors on the front of their shirts. The MLS is actually really late in picking this up.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Carnival, as in the cruise line, on the uniforms?

And this is why MLS isn't considered seriously. Can you imagine doing something like that with MLB, NFL, NHL or NBA uniforms?

Soccer is so wildly popular everywhere else it just makes good business sense to put a sponsor on the front of the uniforms. I'm sure people go out and buy things simply because it's on the front of their favorite club's jersey. If the NFL or NBA was as popular as soccer worldwide, you can bet every team would have a sponsor somewhere on the uniform. MLS is getting into it now, I assume, for the opposite reason. While successful, they are like Arena Football or Lacrosse. They need the extra income that comes from sponsors because they don't get millions from TV and merchandise like the NFL /MLB/NBA/NHL get.

The design looks good, however, I really don't pay enough attention to soccer to be able comment on whether the colors are right or go with the Chilean team.

Choose your punishment:

Be placed in the La Boca bario and...

(1) Tell passers-by that Boca Juniors are a Chilean club

or

(2) Just stand on a street corner wearing a River Plate shirt.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Yes, Chivas de Guadalajara is sponsored by Reebok, but Reebok is an adidas subsidiary (like Brand Jordan, Converse, and Umbro with Nike), so, essentially, there's no financial loss for adidas. Also, Nike is ultra-strict when it comes to whom they allow to wear their jerseys, so I doubt they would try to strike a deal with adidas.

In the future, though, as the MLS grows and expands, I could see them dropping the adidas-exclusive jersey rights so as to be more like the UEFA.

Good call...and I thought I was being all smart :wacko:

I hope MLS does get past the uniform exclusivity...I think it would give the league a little more credibility (and variety!)

Badger_zps8961c467.png

Choose your punishment:

Be placed in the La Boca bario and...

(1) Tell passers-by that Boca Juniors are a Chilean club

or

(2) Just stand on a street corner wearing a River Plate shirt.

He'd be much better off in the shirt :)

Of course, even saying Chilean could be worse... he could've said Brazilian.

Archived