It was forty years ago today

CC97

February 7, 1964 The Beatles arrived at JFK Airport in New York City and the mania began.

CCSL Senior Residents... share your Beatle memories, I'd love to hear them!

Others... share your fav songs, albums, or whatever you own!

Or we can discuss another thing altogether... such as, was the assassination of President Kennedy (1½ months earlier) a contributing factor in the Beatles uber-popularity in the U.S.?  Could it be that they were so popular because they were a way to make the country happy again?

Discuss!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I have Live and Let Die on DVD, does that count?

To me, absolutely none of the Beatles song resonates a chord with me.  Sure it was good, catchy music, but none of it sticks with me.  Probably the only two Beatles songs I like (and when I say like I mean "more than just it's good, it's okay" and not at all by "they all suck") is Because, but only because I liked Elliot Smith's version more, and Yesterday, but only because I like Wet Wet Wet's version more.  But I don't even listen them anyways.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The Beatles were the single greatest band to happen to music. They changed it forever. You can use a chain effect and link to just about every band was indirectly inspired by McCartney, Lennon, Starr, and Harrison. I enjoy their later years more then the early ones (Especially Sgt. Pepper, The Mystery Tour, and the White Album). They helped rebel agaisnt the establishment, and give bands and their listeners the ideas to change lives for the better. They gave young minds the ability to see beyond every day lives, and go against stupid decisions by the establishment.

I own a couple of the vinyl records (The SP. Edition Pepper, with the tye-dye effect reccord, and a few others) and most of their CD's.  I'm a bigger McCartney fan then Lennon, but enjoy both!

My favourite song: Octopusse's Garden on Abbey road(You know what it's REALLY about...) amd Back in the USSR on the White Album.

WOO! :)

I love the Beatles - I remember playing my mom & dad's LPS (vinyl records for you young guys).  I still have their greatest hits; blue jacket cover and the 1970's big hits in red jacket cover.

As a kid I loved the movie "yellowsubmarine" and the song was fun.  My 4 brothers & 1 sister use to sing to them in the car.  I'd don't remember them coming over but I remember the music.

My son has a Beatles CD collection - I am glad he shares my passion for them. :)

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Your son sounds like me, I have 9 albums, and "Beatles - 1", for a nice round figure of 10, as well as 3 george solos, 2 ringo solos, a lennon best of, and a mccartney best of...

As for DVDs I have the 5-disc Anthology, the Ed Sullivan Set with the 4 Beatle epsiodes, and "The Beatles First U.S. Visit".

I spent 2 years discovering classic rock and wanted to reserve a big block of time to just discover the beatles, i didn't really like their 'radio hits' but I was intrigued by the amount of hype their albums got.  So I purchased Sgt Peppers, loved it, and I went ahead from there... I think I've been listening to them, almost exclusively, for about 6 or 7 months now.

---

Chris Creamer

Beatles

Music - meh

Influence on other musicians to follow- Incredible.. thank you.

Something about having your music played in breakfast cereal commercials, in moves, on radio, car commericals, on tv, in dorms, in cadilacs, in law offices, in exnted commercials trying to get you to buy their greatest hits, in your neighbors place, in your roomates room....   it just makes your music feel overplayed.

I respect them a huge amount. But I have no desire to own an album.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Something about having your music played in breakfast cereal commercials, in moves, on radio, car commericals, on tv, in dorms, in cadilacs, in law offices, in exnted commercials trying to get you to buy their greatest hits, in your neighbors place, in your roomates room....   it just makes your music feel overplayed.

See, that's why I wanted to get an album... hear the songs that aren't overplayed, if I listed off my favourite Beatles songs I'm sure 95% of you wouldn't recognise them.

---

Chris Creamer

Beatles

Music - meh

Influence on other musicians to follow- Incredible.. thank you.

Something about having your music played in breakfast cereal commercials, in moves, on radio, car commericals, on tv, in dorms, in cadilacs, in law offices, in exnted commercials trying to get you to buy their greatest hits, in your neighbors place, in your roomates room.... it just makes your music feel overplayed.

Don't blame the Beatles for having their tunes in every commercial known to man.  Blame Michael Jackson, who bought the entire Northern Songs publishing company, thereby owning all the rights to the fair use of those songs, for killing the effectiveness and magic that their music once had.

Other than that, my main Beatle memory was of lying in bed the night that John Lennon was shot.  Even at 10, the first thing that popped into my head was, "Why couldn't they have gotten McCartney instead?"

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Rattle em off, CC.

10) Revolution

09) Norwegian Wood

08) Paperback Writer

07) All of Side 2 of "Abbey Road"

06) Come Together (especially the Aerosmith Version)

05) Dear Prudence

04) Why Don't We Do It In The Road?

03) Across The Universe

02) ANd Your Bird Can Sing

01) I Am The Walrus

Koo koo ka joob, y'all.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Rattle em off, CC.

10) Revolution

09) Norwegian Wood

08) Paperback Writer

07) All of Side 2 of "Abbey Road"

06) Come Together (especially the Aerosmith Version)

05) Dear Prudence

04) Why Don't We Do It In The Road?

03) Across The Universe

02) ANd Your Bird Can Sing

01) I Am The Walrus

Koo koo ka joob, y'all.

I love your list...

I have no ranking, but my favourites include:

Fool On the Hill, Norwegian Wood, Across the Universe, Two of Us, Rocky Raccoon, The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill, The Abbey Road Medley, We Can Work It Out, Dear Prudence, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Happiness is a Warm Gun.

---

Chris Creamer

I hate the Beatles.  Nothing wrong with their music except it gets annoying after hearing it constant non-stop for like 8 months every time you get in the car.  My mom went to a Paul McCartney concert and came back and decided to listen to all her beatles cds in the car.  Well, I am stuck listening to the junk and I now can't escape Paul McCartney.  I walked into the Supermarket, I hear Hello, Hello.  I went to go work out at the Y what do I hear another Paul McCartney songs.  I swear that guy just wants to haunt my existence.

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

They revolutionized teh music buisness they did sound mixes that nobody else could do.

Its a virtural gaurntee that there music will last forever in 2464 they will still be playing Beatles on teh radio while Emminnem and the rest of the grabage that's out now will long be forgotten.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I could listen to Abbey Road for ever!

I WANT YOU.... I want you sooo baaaaaaaad!

SHE's so HEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Oh Darling!  Octopus' Garden.

Sgt Pepper is great as well.  Sixty-four

The white album is what I would consider to be the first ever "alternate rock" album...just basing it strictly on the idea that alternate rock was supposed to really have no story...Some of those songs are just out there!  PIGS?  cmon!

Some of their stuff was just not that great...but the influence they have had will always be appreciated/

I think the Beatles were really good. However, I'd say overrated is a good term as well. I don't think they were that amazing, or necessarily changed the industry that much...however, I'm ignorant to those times, though not to the music.

I think you're confusing the Beatles with Britney Spears.....

I saw, I came, I left.

Odd that such an 'anti-establisment' band are so establishment nowadays!! Truth is I don't think that they were deliberately anti-establishment more that they were the first pop group to really express themselves in a deliberatley youthful way- to talk to young kids in a way young kids of the time could relate to. That was there real secret. Whereas Elvis fr instance was always a product of marketing the Beatles really were not. In that sense they stand very much alone in the History of rock/pop music rather than being trendsetters.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It wasn't with the Beatles, but probably the greatest song ever written was by Lennon.  It gives me goosebumps when I hear it:

Imagine there's no heaven

It's easy if you try

No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people

Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people

Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will live as one

Imagine is a great song, it's a shame it's overplay has ruined it for me  :(

I've been tempted to go through the Beatles solo work year-by-year and maybe assembling "best-ofs" as pseudo Beatle albums post 1970.

If you know your stuff, I'd love to hear your suggestions!

I think the first one would have to include at least My Sweet Lord, Maybe I'm Amazed, and Mother... from there what?

---

Chris Creamer

Archived