NBA Outdoors!

averyj

I'm pretty interested in this as well. I'm thinking it may be one of the Texas teams that the Suns may want to play against them...something says Yao Ming and the Rockets might be that opponent, and he does bring worldwide ratings. Most NBA teams almost play exclusively within their own conferences in the preseason, unless the NBA wants to put together special games like with the European and Asian exhibitions. Also, I think they may go on and schedule the games sometime around Columbus Day, and that's when ESPN and TNT usually broadcast preseason games.

I also thought initially (before I read the article) that they would play this game somewhere in metro Phoenix, whether it be at Chase Field (just across the street from US Airways Center) or at University of Phoenix Stadium. At least the seating configuration at Indian Wells isn't too far off from the setup for basketball at US Airways, except for the extra space for tennis, of course, meaning the seating is angled the same way. However, looking at the tennis setup at Indian Wells, I'm assuming that they'll build some bleacher-type seating on the floor level, bringing the fans a bit closer.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty interested in this as well. I'm thinking it may be one of the Texas teams that the Suns may want to play against them...something says Yao Ming and the Rockets might be that opponent, and he does bring worldwide ratings. Most NBA teams almost play exclusively within their own conferences in the preseason, unless the NBA wants to put together special games like with the European and Asian exhibitions. Also, I think they may go on and schedule the games sometime around Columbus Day, and that's when ESPN and TNT usually broadcast preseason games.

I also thought initially (before I read the article) that they would play this game somewhere in metro Phoenix, whether it be at Chase Field (just across the street from US Airways Center) or at University of Phoenix Stadium. At least the seating configuration at Indian Wells isn't too far off from the setup for basketball at US Airways, except for the extra space for tennis, of course, meaning the seating is angled the same way. However, looking at the tennis setup at Indian Wells, I'm assuming that they'll build some bleacher-type seating on the floor level, bringing the fans a bit closer.

Yup, either that, or massive courtside seating. haha

"Attack of the white folding chairs!"

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

How about a Knicks game at Arthur Ashe Stadium? Now that's saying something!

I think something that would draw a [much] bigger crowd, would be to have a firing ceremony of Isiah Thomas at A. A. Stadium...

:P

Okay after reading this thread, I come back to the question why? Why are they doing this? Why are the Phoenix Suns playing a game not against the Lakers in Southern California? The only other team that would make sense would be the Clippers, other than that it makes no sense for this game to be held in Southern California without the Lakers or the Clippers. Do you really think there are that many Dallas Mavericks, Portland Trailblazers, Seattle Supersonics, Denver Nuggets, or San Antonio Spurs fans in So Cal? Do you really think that holding a preseason NBA game on a tennis court in the middle of nowhere is attractive to anyone besides the people who live there? At least when they have tennis, it's part of the season and means something. I say this yet, I just remembered that the Kings and the Rangers played an outdoor game in Las Vegas in the 90's and it was preseason. Yet the difference is that the Kings were I guess you'd say the southwest team in hockey if there was one and the Rangers are well New York. It's that New York vs. LA thing, plus the idea of an ice rink in Las Vegas is novel. A wood floor out door... not so much. I could understand if the Suns were hosting in Arizona somewhere, but why Indian Wells? How much is Indian Wells greasing the Suns palms for this? That right there maybe the question we need answered, how much money will the Suns get for this?

Okay after reading this thread, I come back to the question why? Why are they doing this? Why are the Phoenix Suns playing a game not against the Lakers in Southern California? The only other team that would make sense would be the Clippers, other than that it makes no sense for this game to be held in Southern California without the Lakers or the Clippers. Do you really think there are that many Dallas Mavericks, Portland Trailblazers, Seattle Supersonics, Denver Nuggets, or San Antonio Spurs fans in So Cal? Do you really think that holding a preseason NBA game on a tennis court in the middle of nowhere is attractive to anyone besides the people who live there? At least when they have tennis, it's part of the season and means something. I say this yet, I just remembered that the Kings and the Rangers played an outdoor game in Las Vegas in the 90's and it was preseason. Yet the difference is that the Kings were I guess you'd say the southwest team in hockey if there was one and the Rangers are well New York. It's that New York vs. LA thing, plus the idea of an ice rink in Las Vegas is novel. A wood floor out door... not so much. I could understand if the Suns were hosting in Arizona somewhere, but why Indian Wells? How much is Indian Wells greasing the Suns palms for this? That right there maybe the question we need answered, how much money will the Suns get for this?

No idea on the money.

It's not in the middle of nowhere.

Fans can and will travel.

They haven't specified why not the Lakers.

*sigh*

For the 3rd time:

The valley NBA game was the brainchild of Craig DeWitt, a former college basketball player and present Coachella Valley Recreation and Parks District facilities superintendent.

"I've had the idea in my head passing by the tennis garden regularly but didn't know how to make it work," DeWitt said. Then, he learned that Heckmann, a full-time Rancho Mirage resident, co-owned the Suns.

DeWitt pitched his "Suns under the Stars" idea in May to Heckmann, who liked the proposal. He passed it along to team president Rick Welts, and the ball got rolling from there.

For the record, the drive from US Airways Center to the Indian Wells Tennis Garden is 255 miles, a trip of about 3 hours 48 mins.

Now did they ever factor in the prospect of rain?

In the NBL over here they used to play at Rod Laver Arena and now at Vodafone Arena, and for the past 10 years or so, on and off, they have scheduled a open-air match. It only happened once or twice because it would always rain on Boxing Day, so they'd close the roof.

At a stadium like that, with the roof that high, wind wouldnt have been a factor, a stadium like Indian Wells, where its much more open might pose a problem. They might have to shine one side of the ball to swing the the ball in to use cricket terms.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Now did they ever factor in the prospect of rain?

In the NBL over here they used to play at Rod Laver Arena and now at Vodafone Arena, and for the past 10 years or so, on and off, they have scheduled a open-air match. It only happened once or twice because it would always rain on Boxing Day, so they'd close the roof.

At a stadium like that, with the roof that high, wind wouldnt have been a factor, a stadium like Indian Wells, where its much more open might pose a problem. They might have to shine one side of the ball to swing the the ball in to use cricket terms.

Indian Wells is part of a desert. A next to zero chance of rain. haha

This sounds like a completely horrible and half-assed attempt at copying something already done. But coming from the NBA I'm not really surprised.

I suppose this is somewhat related:

Aside from trying to copy hockey and it's outdoor games what is the point? The venue is smaller than the normal arena, isn't historic, and unlike hockey the sport of basketball has little history outdoors. Hockey at least began as an outdoor games and competitions at the international level were held outdoors up until the 1960's Basketball was invented as an indoor game and I don't believe at an organized level has any history of being played outdoors. This screams of look what someone else is doing and let's try to copy it.

To be fair, it's not known when the idea was first thought of. So as of right now, we don't know if it was a case of copying, or if it was of coincidence.

In other fairness, no one has looked at the NHL in the last 15 years and tried to copy what they're doing.

Since they haven't specified who the Suns would be playing, what do you all think?

They've stated that it will be a special team, and then later they went on to say, it will be a pretty good team from the Western Conference.

With that being said, my prediction is that might be the San Antonio Spurs.

Washington Generals.

Going back to discussing teams playing in domes, the Timberwolves set attendance records their first year playing in the Metrodome while the Target Center was being finished.

a few others off the top of my head...

Raptors => SkyDome

Falcons => Georgia Dome

Spurs => AlamoDome

You mean Hawks (and even then, they only played Jordan's farewell game at the Dome. They played on Georgia Tech's campus while Philips was being built.)

Yes, I meant Hawks... I remembered that Jordan game so I assumed they were just a regular tenant of the stadium.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Maybe the Miami Heat could play an outdoor game at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park in Key Biscayne (for an exhibition game).

And why not have the Lakers and/or the Clippers play at the tennis stadium at The Home Depot Center (during the preseason)?

Oh, here's an idea, a Golden State Warriors/Sacramento Kings game at AT&T Park in San Francisco.

YOZXkBG.png?1

• 2 months later...

Update:

Plans have been finalized for the Phoenix Suns to host the Denver Nuggets, on October 11. The game will be shown live on TNT.

Since they haven't specified who the Suns would be playing, what do you all think?

They've stated that it will be a special team, and then later they went on to say, it will be a pretty good team from the Western Conference.

With that being said, my prediction is that might be the San Antonio Spurs.

Washington Generals.

Going back to discussing teams playing in domes, the Timberwolves set attendance records their first year playing in the Metrodome while the Target Center was being finished.

a few others off the top of my head...

Raptors => SkyDome

Falcons => Georgia Dome

Spurs => AlamoDome

You mean Hawks (and even then, they only played Jordan's farewell game at the Dome. They played on Georgia Tech's campus while Philips was being built.)

Yes, I meant Hawks... I remembered that Jordan game so I assumed they were just a regular tenant of the stadium.

The Internet has something to say about that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JxS4qoDT0A

72548480xm6.jpg

Also, the Pistons played the Pontiac Silverdome.

bSLCtu2.png

Yeah, that was kinda dumb. Alexander can only hold 9,100 so that'd be dumb for them to have more games there than at the Dome. I just remember the Jordan game because it set the record for attendance at a basketball game IIRC.

Alexander can only hold 9,100 so that'd be dumb for them to have more games there than at the Dome.

Seems about right for the Hawks. ^_^

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• 6 months later...

Archived