NHL: Who Wants to Win the Southeast Division?

rmackman

I think the Hurricanes are now officially finished Rod Brind'Amour torn ACL, out for the rest of the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3246520

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My beautiful 06-07 blue Predators jersey came in the mail today, so count me as a fan of those guys. What is the slogan? "Think Blue"? I'm doing it, baby.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

My beautiful 06-07 blue Predators jersey came in the mail today, so count me as a fan of those guys. What is the slogan? "Think Blue"? I'm doing it, baby.

Predators?

Ha. Did it again. Thrashers. I meant THRASHERS.

What a stupid team name.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

"Believe in Blueland".

Obviously, I want the Thrashers to win the division.

I can't give a reason as to which team has the best shot....they're all inconsistent as hell. They can look great on some nights and awful on other nights. The last two weeks will be important, when it's nothing but divisional play for all 5 teams.

Lots of divisions are close this year...

Atlantic: Top 3 separated by 4 points, top 4 separated by 6 points

Northwest: Top 3 separated by 3 points, top 4 teams separated by 5 points.

Pacific: Top 3 teams separated by 5 points.

Northeast: Top 2 separated by 4 points.

Of course, the Southeast the closest of all 6 division, and I'm thinking Carolina is going to pull it out, because they've been in more big time situations than the other top 4 teams.

You can thank all this parity and closeness in the standings to the Salary Cap.....

"Believe in Blueland".

Obviously, I want the Thrashers to win the division.

I can't give a reason as to which team has the best shot....they're all inconsistent as hell. They can look great on some nights and awful on other nights. The last two weeks will be important, when it's nothing but divisional play for all 5 teams.

In any event, it's the most garish NHL jersey of all time, and I have one. I'm thrilled. Go Thrashers! I believe in blue!

The Southeast Winner will be one and done and teams will be fighting to get the 6th seed to play them.

Tell me, when's the last time a team with a sparkling, perfect record won a championship in any sport?

Especially in the NHL. Since they've been giving it out, only six times it's happened. So yeah, I'm the type that thinks that it doesn't matter HOW you get in...just that you get in, a6nd get hot at the right time. I mean, look at the 2006 Cardinals in baseball. Won 83 regular season games, but won the 11 that mattered most. So yeah, if team's are dumb enough to try to get the #6 just to play whoever comes out of this division, go right ahead. This ain't unheard of.

This is why I enjoy the NBA and NHL's 16-team playoff system. It creates the anything can happen atmosphere. In baseball, you can only pick the top teams.

As a SE division outsider, I guess Id like to see the Caps get in. DC can be is a good hockey town when the team is good, especially with the good young talent they have.

Fixed.

The number of road fans I recall seeing in the Verizon Center during those games I watched in person last season tells me all I need to know about how good DC is as a hockey market typically.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As a SE division outsider, I guess Id like to see the Caps get in. DC can be is a good hockey town when the team is good, especially with the good young talent they have.

Fixed.

The number of road fans I recall seeing in the Verizon Center during those games I watched in person last season tells me all I need to know about how good DC is as a hockey market typically.

Didn't you attend the Sabres game? That was the last game of the season, and I believe it clinched the top seed for Buffalo.

Fixed.

Didn't you attend the Sabres game? That was the last game of the season, and I believe it clinched the top seed for Buffalo.

Sabres game, a Penguins game, and a Hurricanes game. I'd estimate 5000 fans at the final game of the season were from upstate New York. On fan appreciation day.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Southeast Winner will be one and done and teams will be fighting to get the 6th seed to play them.

Most of the southeast teams just started off the season slow. But now the division holds some of the hottest teams in the league. Doubtful that the winner will fall that easily come playoff time.

Except for with the somewhat exception of Florida (who is mediocre) none of those team can play defense for their lives which is essential in the playoffs. Washington (25th), Carolina (28), Atlanta (26), and Tampa (30) are all in the bottom 6 of the league in Goals Against Average. Florida is the best in GAA at 17th in the league (which is below average). Those type GAA are not a recipe for success in the playoffs. If all of those teams were in the same division as each other they would all be sellers at the deadlines. Let's face it all those teams are about as good as the Maple Leafs. Maybe Florida challenges a bit but otherwise the Southeast winner will probably go out in 4 or 5 games.

GAA includes the entire season.. I know Carolina and Tampa have horrible defense still, but I think lately Washington and Atlanta and possibly Florida have all been playing far better than they have been. And if they're still hot going into the playoffs they can be a force.

Fixed.

Sabres game, a Penguins game, and a Hurricanes game. I'd estimate 5000 fans at the final game of the season were from upstate New York. On fan appreciation day.

What does Buffalo's bandwagon fanbase have to do with the Capitals again exactly? Besides the fact a large portion of it showed up for the final game of the season in their arena when they had already been eliminated from the playoffs long before that.

I doubt the Capitals were leading the Southeast division or ranked 3rd in the East when you went to any of those games.

Fixed.

What does Buffalo's bandwagon fanbase have to do with the Capitals again exactly? Besides the fact a large portion of it showed up for the final game of the season in their arena when they had already been eliminated from the playoffs long before that.

I doubt the Capitals were leading the Southeast division or ranked 3rd in the East when you went to any of those games.

IDK...the fact that it was fan appreciation day and they were giving away team gear like mad should theorectically work to draw folks to come to the game. It's more a commentary on the fact that the Capitals fans appear to be somewhat fairweather at best.

Of course Pittsburgh brought about 3000 to their game as well.

The only reason that Carolina game came close to selling out was because they were comping tickets like crazy to college students...and this was a mid-season game against the defending Stanley Cup champions.

Today, we are all otaku.

I really do think that there are few sports markets left in the United States. USA really has more "event" market mentality in most areas. The difference is a sports market is an area where people come because they love the sport. They are BASEBALL or HOCKEY fans who come to support their city in their favorite sport. Now what you get is a lot of places that go when that sport has become a major event i.e. celebrities, playoffs, etc. That's really what the NHL has become in most places in America. In Canada, hockey is the culture just like soccer is the culture if you were to go to Argentina or Brazil or Italy. It does not matter who is playing soccer, people will go in those countries. Here in America it's football. A lot of people go to watch even high school or pee wee football. SO...in rounding out my explanation, yes these NHL teams have to comp a lot of American fans because until the NHL puts itself into an EVENT situation, people won't necessarily come to watch unless given free tickets.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Lots of divisions are close this year...

Atlantic: Top 3 separated by 4 points, top 4 separated by 6 points

Northwest: Top 3 separated by 3 points, top 4 teams separated by 5 points.

Pacific: Top 3 teams separated by 5 points.

Northeast: Top 2 separated by 4 points.

Of course, the Southeast the closest of all 6 division, and I'm thinking Carolina is going to pull it out, because they've been in more big time situations than the other top 4 teams.

You can thank all this parity and closeness in the standings to the Salary Cap.....

Yup, I officially hate the salary cap, every team is TOO even. Bring back the dynasties!

No way I love parity. Dynasties suck because then you also get groups of teams that never win.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived