Remembering Lou Gehrig

mantleisthebest7

Hey y'all!

I came across a great highlight reel of Lou Gehrig on Youtube, and though short, I thought it was a very great video. The music is also wonderful on it (I believe it is the music from the movie "Pearl Harbor"). Thre are other videos suggested on there or related on there that you can view if you'd like. I felt I wanted to post this because though we don't necessarily underrate Lou, I believe that many people, especially the young people (like me) today don't fully grasp the legend that was and still is Lou Gehrig. As y'all know, Mantle obviously is my favorite. But as far as just deep admiration and a sense of looking up to someone, Gehrig is that someone for me. Of course, I admire Mantle alot. But just the example and the legend that Lou Gehrig set, that's the example I, as a 16 year old ballplayer and young man, want to follow. That's the example I would want my kids to follow. So I guess this post is more than just showing a video, but I guess to ask your opinions and open up a discussion on one of America's most enduring legends, Lou Gehrig. I would love to hear your opinions and perhaps even stories on Gehrig. Thanks and enjoy the highlight reel.

The video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqTbxcbmNvg

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Well, I'm glad I'm not old enough to not have any stories of him... ^_^

Anyway, I don't think anyone would argue that he was one of the greatest men to ever play the game. Just a world-class person as well as player. Not perfect, but outstanding. I don't think there's too much more to it.

Gehrig was incredibly insecure. His mother played way too large a role in his life. Sometimes to the point of causing problems in his marriage. He didn't really like Babe Ruth very well and they had a pretty strained relationship. A lot of times during the streak he would only appear in the game for an inning or as a pinch hitter. And yes, he did it solely to keep the streak alive. None of that takes anything away from his legacy but they are facts about his life that you won't hear much about. He wasn't the choir boy he's been portrayed to be but he was hardly a bad citizen either. He was just a little more flawed than most people think he was.

He's still one of my all-time favorite players.

BB52Big.jpg

I was looking at the different styles of uniforms Gehrig wore -- from the styles of the early 1900s, even with the button-up neck, to the start of the modern look in the late 1930s. He sure went through a lot of different types of uniforms.

Thanks for posting this. It was great to see clips of a legend like the Iron Horse.

OK...I'll try to make it somewhat brief (me being a thread-hijacker and all)...

I dated this girl back in '89 (in Dallas) who was in advertising. Previous to going out with me, she had put together an ad campaign for a local Dallas-area hospital using Mickey Mantle when he had a heart attack. The two of them worked closely together, and became pretty good friends. In fact, she had an autographed baseball signed by the Mick that said "To Joanna, You got great legs! Mickey Mantle". (Mercy me, was that ever true.)

Mickey used to call her up all the time, trying to flirt with her, bugging her to come and see him...she told him that she was dating me...so then, Mickey would ask her "Are you still dating that Donovan guy?". That dirty old man never gave up...

Not that great of a story, but it WAS Mickey Mantle...

I dated this girl back in '89 (in Dallas) who was in advertising. Previous to going out with me, she had put together an ad campaign for a local Dallas-area hospital using Mickey Mantle when he had a heart attack. The two of them worked closely together, and became pretty good friends. In fact, she had an autographed baseball signed by the Mick that said "To Joanna, You got great legs! Mickey Mantle". (Mercy me, was that ever true.)

Mickey used to call her up all the time, trying to flirt with her, bugging her to come and see him...she told him that she was dating me...so then, Mickey would ask her "Are you still dating that Donovan guy?". That dirty old man never gave up...

Haha! Oh, boy. That definetely was Mickey. I bet you it was all in a joke, though. From what Ive read about him (which is a WHOLE lot considering he's my absolute favorite player), he'd do stuff like that from time to time just in good fun. He wasnt the type of guy that did that stuff seriously. And no worries about thread-jacking, man. It's all good.

I got another really funny Mickey story, if y'all are interested.

So one day he, his sons Mickey, Jr. and Danny (I think) and a longtime friend went golfing. I cant remember who was winning at the time, but it came to a point where Danny had to make a wicked putt to win. The chances seemed highly unlikely according to the biography I read (Mickey Mantle by Mickey Herskowitz. Great read, BTW), and Mickey and Mickey Jr. decided to place a bet. If Danny made the putt, Mickey Jr. had to cough up $800. If Danny missed, then Mick had to pay the $800. So Danny putted, and sure enough, the ball drops in, and Junior has to pay up. Junior, who was the one holding the flag up over the hole, throws the flag onto the ground in anger, Mickey starts rolling on the ground laughing, and when he finally comes to, he goes to Danny and says in his profound Oklahoma drawl, "I didn't wanna tell 'yu this son, but 'yu just saved me $800!." In an also drawled response, Danny says, "I'm real glad 'yu didn't tell me, either!"

I thought that was pretty funny when I read it.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

Outstanding. Mickey Mantle was hitting on your girlfriend. She must have been something. Great story. How many people get to say they beat out Mickey Mantle for a woman's attention?

I bet you it was all in a joke, though. From what Ive read about him (which is a WHOLE lot considering he's my absolute favorite player), he'd do stuff like that from time to time just in good fun. He wasnt the type of guy that did that stuff seriously.

Ah youth. To be that wide-eyed and innocent again.

BB52Big.jpg

Maybe it is true that Gehrig was not a "choir boy", but then Lou's singing voice isn't what made him a legend.

Lou Gehrig is a genuine hero of mine, even though I was born a quarter-century after his death. And while the movie "The Pride of the Yankees" might seem hokey to some, that movie, and my father requesting me to watch it with him when I was just 7 years old in the summer of 1974, was the day I became a Yankee fan. My father was a Yankee fan, and the bond we shared that day watching that movie, made me become a Yankee fan too.

When Cal Ripken was clearing beginning to approach Gehrig's consecutive game streak, I didn't want him to break it. The night he did break it, I remember crying, but out of joy, not sorrow. Whoever said "There is no crying in baseball" was wrong. That was one of 3 times I actually shed tears during a Major League baseball game or event. The other two were in 1999, when the younger players at the World Series helped Ted Williams up, that really got me choked up big time, when they did the "Team of the Century" thing prior to game 3.

The most meaningful baseball cry I ever had was in October 1978. I've shared this story before, but I will again as it somewhat ties in with the subject. In the summer of 1978, my father had a series of heart attacks. He was subsequently discharged and came home on July 12th or 13th from the hospital. On July 14th, he was on the phone for several hours talking with each one of his three older sisters (my aunts). The morning of July 15th, I saw dad stand up in our kitchen, and collapse to the floor, on top of our neighbor Steve who was visiting at the time. That is an image that has stayed with me for going on 30 years now, and will remain with me for the rest of my life. I'm 41 now, just 2 years younger than my dad when he collapsed and suddenly died, which gives me pause. The day of his funeral, just a few days after he died, the Yankees were 14 games out of first place. And we all know the story now, about how the Yankees came back, tied w/the Sox, then beat them in that 1 game playoff at Fenway.

Growing up in Ewing NJ, we watched the Yankee telecasts on WPIX Channel 11. Inevitably, when the Yankees would fall behind, I'd often get discouraged. Dad would remind me "Bill, the 7th inning is the Yankees inning" and more often than not it seemed, that's when the Yankees would score, and take the lead and hold on to win. So when Bucky stepped up and hit that home run, and in the 7th inning, it was at that moment that I absolutely KNEW my father was indeed in Heaven. I was home alone when that game was on (it was played in the DAYTIME!!!! imagine that novelty happening today!), and I just remember I wept. The game still had 2 and a half innings to go, and somehow I held on to the end, but I was already spent from sobbing after that ball went out. The win in the ALCS seemed anti-climatic to me. Then the Yankees fell behind 2 games to 0 to LA, only to come back and win it in 6. Little did I know at that time, that I'd have to wait nearly 2 decades before I saw my beloved Yankees win it all again.

This past Christmas, my cousin purchased for me the complete 1977 World Series on DVD. He knows 1977 was a very special year for me, and a very special World Series for me, not only because it was Yankees/Dodgers, but because that was the ONE World Series win that I was able to share with my father while he was still alive. It was one of the most touching gifts I've ever received. I told my cousin "I'd get you a DVD set of your favorite team winning the World Series, but they didn't have video made of the World Series back in 1908". As you no doubt know by now, my cousin is a Cubs fan.

This was a fantastic thread and I thank you for starting it, and I loved hearing the Mantle stories too. One final note, in August 2006, my family and I went to Seaside Heights NJ, a place we used to go all the time. I hadn't been in years, and I was very delighted with it. I had a fantastic time. My same cousin who got me the dvd set was there w/his family too. We played a wheel that had sports memorabilia, and I won on the very first spin! He spotted for me a Lou Gehrig plague which reads "LOU GEHRIG NEW YORK YANKEES" and below it says "#4, THE IRON HORSE". It hangs here in my den, along w/a picture of Thurman Munson I won in 1979. I was in Seaside the week Thurman's plane crashed. I am so into Gehrig in fact, that 13 years ago, when my wife played for a softball team, I requested that she got uniform #4.

Haha! Oh, boy. That definetely was Mickey. I bet you it was all in a joke, though. From what Ive read about him (which is a WHOLE lot considering he's my absolute favorite player), he'd do stuff like that from time to time just in good fun. He wasnt the type of guy that did that stuff seriously. And no worries about thread-jacking, man. It's all good.

Maybe 75% serious, 25% joking.

The Mick was pretty relentless with her; he even called once with me sitting right there next to her.

Great player (obviously), but a pretty destructive personality - which is one of the reasons why he ended up in the hospital with a heart attack in the first place.

Maybe 75% serious, 25% joking.

The Mick was pretty relentless with her; he even called once with me sitting right there next to her.

Great player (obviously), but a pretty destructive personality - which is one of the reasons why he ended up in the hospital with a heart attack in the first place.

Well, I understand what you are saying, but it really sounds like you are starting to demean him. I realize he was an alcoholic, and though I personally believe it was all in good fun and good intention, some times he did things that didnt create the best results (as your story proves). But you can't deny that heart he had. One of the reasons I look up to him so much actually is his effort to get sober for good before he died. That stands out more to me than his 536 homers, 2,415 hits, and .298 average. Though of course I admire his playing career, it is that side of him, the side with all the good, that I see. I understand fully what you are saying, and I really can't disagree with most of it. But that good side of him, that humble, selfless, pure good side of him is the one I will always see in my hero.

Oh, and wdm1219inpenna, I love that story! that was really cool to read, man. Thank you for posting that.

Sorry if the Mantle stuff is stealing the main purpose of the post to remember Gehrig. I take fault in that for stretching out the Mantle conversation, so my bad, guys. Anything else on Gehrig that anyone would like to share?

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

[quote name='mantleisthebest7'

Well, I understand what you are saying, but it really sounds like you are starting to demean him.

I'd like to share the fact that "sports heroes" aren't often heroes in real life as well. Guys like Michael Vick and Barry Bonds? Real jerks, but sports figures in the past have been just as bad. Mantle, for all his boozy, womanizing ways was a saint next to, say, Ty Cobb.

Well, I understand what you are saying, but it really sounds like you are starting to demean him.

One of the things that sucks about getting older is you realize that people you look up to do awful things. Getting drunk and chasing after women isn't really all the uncommon. Mickey Mantle wasn't a comic book character; he was a baseball player that had a difficult time getting off of booze. When you're a bit older, spend some time with some drunks. See how good of people they are, how much "in good fun" their getting blasted all the time really is.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's not an effort to demean him. It's simply the facts. It doesn't take anything away from his legacy as a player. I'd suggest you read Ball Four by Jim Bouton. That's a nice and gentle start to seeing the truth behind your heroes. No one is trying to burst your bubble or anything. We're just older and know the truth behind a lot of these legends. You need to keep in mind that you're talking with people twice your age a lot of the time. We have an entirely different perspective than you do on sports and the people who play them. No one is purposely trying to tear down your heroes. You're just young and haven't learned all these things yet. No one means any offense.

BB52Big.jpg

It's not an effort to demean him. It's simply the facts. It doesn't take anything away from his legacy as a player. I'd suggest you read Ball Four by Jim Bouton. That's a nice and gentle start to seeing the truth behind your heroes. No one is trying to burst your bubble or anything. We're just older and know the truth behind a lot of these legends. You need to keep in mind that you're talking with people twice your age a lot of the time. We have an entirely different perspective than you do on sports and the people who play them. No one is purposely trying to tear down your heroes. You're just young and haven't learned all these things yet. No one means any offense.

Bouton! That's 86 Across in today's Times crossword!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Bouton! That's 86 Across in today's Times crossword!

"There are no coincidences." What the hell show or movie is that from? I was thinking LOST but that's not it. Whatever it was I just watched it a few days ago. Hmmm...

EDIT: It was V for Vendetta.

BB52Big.jpg

Ok, I got ya. It took me a bit, but I get ya now. At first it seemd like people were trying to demean my hero, but everything makes sense now. Thanks, infared. Nothing, however, will ever change the fact that Mickey will forever be my hero.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

.... how come he didn't hit on you? He was a switch-hitter, right?

I saw, I came, I left.

.... how come he didn't hit on you? He was a switch-hitter, right?

Only you would say that...:P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived