NHL To Sell Advertising Space On Goalies?

Neon_Matrix

I understand not wanting change and preferring uniforms to not have logos on them. I get that. I get just hey it looks ugly compared to no ad on the jersey. But I don't understand how an advertisement on a jersey can ruin your enjoyment of a sport/team and make you not want to follow the sport/team. It's still hockey. Your memories of watching and following your team won't change. The experiences you have with your friends and family of following the team won't change.

I think it's overly simplistic to call a professional sports league greedy. No matter how you get around it, it's professional hockey, it's a business. The goal is to make money, whatever brings in money will be considered. Imagine if you work for or own shares of a public company that tells you "we could have done this to make more money, but that would be too greedy."

I just don't think that many people will revolt if it happens. A decent case study will be the Cubs. You'll see much more advertising at Wrigley over the next few years and we'll see what happens. I just think the shared experience of following sporting events is valued way too much in North America to be pushed aside because of advertising on uniforms.

Completely right. But people have to have something to bitch about. And all it takes is one and all the rest of the sheep get in line.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand not wanting change and preferring uniforms to not have logos on them. I get that. I get just hey it looks ugly compared to no ad on the jersey. But I don't understand how an advertisement on a jersey can ruin your enjoyment of a sport/team and make you not want to follow the sport/team. It's still hockey. Your memories of watching and following your team won't change. The experiences you have with your friends and family of following the team won't change.

I think it's overly simplistic to call a professional sports league greedy. No matter how you get around it, it's professional hockey, it's a business. The goal is to make money, whatever brings in money will be considered. Imagine if you work for or own shares of a public company that tells you "we could have done this to make more money, but that would be too greedy."

I just don't think that many people will revolt if it happens. A decent case study will be the Cubs. You'll see much more advertising at Wrigley over the next few years and we'll see what happens. I just think the shared experience of following sporting events is valued way too much in North America to be pushed aside because of advertising on uniforms.

Completely right. But people have to have something to bitch about. And all it takes is one and all the rest of the sheep get in line.

... which, is not hard to do in New Zealand...

I saw, I came, I left.

When I worked at Nike we had talks with the NHL about the possibility of having the goalies wear different, yet team style jerseys. Much like a soccer goalie.

We weren't thinking about putting advertising on them, just to differentiate them and of course generate $$.

The league had actually mentioned at one point not allowing goalies to have personalized paint jobs on their helmets, but having to wear a league approved and

designed team artwork.

Wouldn't a compromise be to have the ads on the pads? But the bigger question is why do the goalies think they are special? I think the NHL should put there foot down and not let player groups start to come up with there own revenue streams.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Ed Belfour had the name and a logo of his brother's racing team on his backplate, IIRC. If they want to do it, let them do it on their masks. They already have more the latitude in terms of freedom of expression (and moreso than any other player on the ice has).

Archived