NHL To Sell Advertising Space On Goalies?

Neon_Matrix

Yeah. Well how funny that the Coyotes are losing all that cash. They'd be better off going back to Canada and be the Jets. It's coming. It's just a matter of where they draw the line. I think it'll be like the North American Minors and not likethe garish Euro jerseys

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah. Well how funny that the Coyotes are losing all that cash. They'd be better off going back to Canada and be the Jets. It's coming. It's just a matter of where they draw the line. I think it'll be like the North American Minors and not likethe garish Euro jerseys

If they allow the ads, which I prefer not to have them, it would probably be more like the AHL than euro leagues. I think for advertisers you really want you logo to stand out because the clutter of logos on the Euro jerseys (and rinks for that matter) do the OPPOSITE of that. Besides, there already is advertising on the jerseys... it's called the RBK logo. Heck, the team's logo and the NHL logo is advertising.

I saw, I came, I left.

Instead of the NHL making cash grabs like this, how about they just cut all the unproductive franchises. This league wasn't meant to survive with thirty teams, some in markets that just won't care about hockey no matter what they try to do. To the true hockey fans, it's fine if we have twenty teams that can carry on the league the way it was meant to be without all the new crap the league is forcing on us to survive.

I understand not wanting change and preferring uniforms to not have logos on them. I get that. I get just hey it looks ugly compared to no ad on the jersey. But I don't understand how an advertisement on a jersey can ruin your enjoyment of a sport/team and make you not want to follow the sport/team. It's still hockey. Your memories of watching and following your team won't change. The experiences you have with your friends and family of following the team won't change.

I think it's overly simplistic to call a professional sports league greedy. No matter how you get around it, it's professional hockey, it's a business. The goal is to make money, whatever brings in money will be considered. Imagine if you work for or own shares of a public company that tells you "we could have done this to make more money, but that would be too greedy."

I just don't think that many people will revolt if it happens. A decent case study will be the Cubs. You'll see much more advertising at Wrigley over the next few years and we'll see what happens. I just think the shared experience of following sporting events is valued way too much in North America to be pushed aside because of advertising on uniforms.

If they're really hell-bent on putting ads on jerseys, why not as shoulder patches? Yes, that means they'd have to ditch their secondary logos, but at least that way they could have their precious ads without making the jerseys any more cluttered than they are now.

CCSLC signature.png

From http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/304287

Some of the league's top players and influential figures want the league to start selling advertising space on goalies' jerseys

Feb 17, 2008 04:30 AM

Rick Westhead

Sports business columnist

It's been 81 years since the Toronto Maple Leafs were given their name by Conn Smythe, a former fighter pilot who bought the team after his return from World War I, and most sports fans would agree few NHL franchises are as steeped in tradition.

Hey Westhead, you idiot, Major Conn Smythe was an ARTILLERY OFFICER, not a FIGHTER PILOT in the War To End All Wars (WWI) and used his experience from that conflict to command an artillery unit called the Sportsmen's Battery in World War II. I'm not even Canadian and I know more Canadian history than this joker! :mad:

Hey Westhead, you idiot, Major Conn Smythe was an ARTILLERY OFFICER, not a FIGHTER PILOT in the War To End All Wars (WWI) and used his experience from that conflict to command an artillery unit called the Sportsmen's Battery in World War II. I'm not even Canadian and I know more Canadian history than this joker! :mad:

Actually, he was BOTH

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9068348/Conn-Smythe

http://www.biographi.ca/EN/ShowBio.asp?BioId=42026

In 1927 the Toronto Maple Leafs’ manager, Constantine Falkland Cary (Conn) Smythe*, a former RAF pilot, had Barker appointed the first president of the hockey club, a symbolic gesture to help raise the losing team’s profile.

So who's the idiot NOW? <_<

I saw, I came, I left.

Actually, he was BOTH

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9068348/Conn-Smythe

http://www.biographi.ca/EN/ShowBio.asp?BioId=42026

In 1927 the Toronto Maple Leafs? manager, Constantine Falkland Cary (Conn) Smythe*, a former RAF pilot, had Barker appointed the first president of the hockey club, a symbolic gesture to help raise the losing team?s profile.

So who's the idiot NOW? <_<

Now now ladies, no need to bicker. If you REALLY want, I can ask the man who wrote his biography who is really correct in this argument. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I hate to break it to you guys, but advertising will eventually make its way on the fields and uniforms of all major sports.

Why? Because fans may complain about it but they won't stop watching because of it.

My argument is that it already has in the form the uniform/equipment manufacturers.

I saw, I came, I left.

Now now ladies, no need to bicker. If you REALLY want, I can ask the man who wrote his biography who is really correct in this argument. :P

Unfortunately, Scott Young is dead....

Kevin Shea. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Some of the league's top players and influential figures want the league to start selling advertising space on goalies' jerseys

Feb 17, 2008 04:30 AM

Rick Westhead

Sports business columnist

It's been 81 years since the Toronto Maple Leafs were given their name by Conn Smythe, a former fighter pilot who bought the team after his return from World War I, and most sports fans would agree few NHL franchises are as steeped in tradition.

I bet that Rick Westhead, sports business columnist, knows how to use the quote and/or reply buttons.

I agree with everything that's been said, especially about NASCAR. One thing they don't realize is that revenue streams are mostly irreversible. If they do this now, they'll do this for the next 50 years. It's like those pop-up ads and logos next to the watermarks on TV. It started out by reminding us, during a broadcast of Frasier, that Friends was coming up next. Next thing you know, they're telling us during The Office that American Gladiators starts in two and a half weeks.

For sports traditionalists, the same is true with stadium naming rights. There won't be a time anymore when we have the majority of stadia with non-corporate names, or the majority of sporting leagues without exclusive video game licenses. If they take this first step, those 2028 jerseys that Sodboy13 posted will be much worse.

Kind of like Japanese baseball, no? SoftBank Hawks sounds sooo much better than the Daiei* Hawks.

Pronounced "duh-ee-uh" as if to accentuate the teenage idiom, "duh."

thanks for clearing that up...and here I was pronouncing it dye-ay all these years <_<

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm not sure if this is common practice anywhere else in Europe, but Ed Belfour's Leksand jerseys (tier 2 Sweden) are sponsored by one company (whom also pay his tax-free salary). As compared to the rest of the team that has 6-8 sponsors on their jerseys, his have just the one. Belfour himself is getting the cash for this "sponsorship" - as it was this particular company that instrumented the deal that brought him to Sweden to begin with. (They, Ejendals, are also the head sponsor of the team and their arena.) This is the first and only time this has happened in Sweden.

This may be the type of thing the NHL is eluding to.

11559.png

JerseyDatabase.com - I'm that guy...

Archived