Rumor: Cleveland Browns to Wear White Helmets

Burning River

On Cleveland Radio Station WKNR AM850, the host has offered a little "tid-bit" regarding the Browns. He stated that the Browns will wear a White Helmet for one game this year. The uniforms are from either the late 1940's or the early 1950's. I didn't catch the whole thing. The uniforms just about look the same as they do now... aside from the cut of the jersey.

Again.. for a one game thing, I like it. Although, the Browns have found a way to look even more plain.

Here are a few pics of Otto Graham, nothing special. Notice the numbers are orange on Otto Graham's #14 uniform...

Otto1950.jpg

orangenumber.jpg

Here are a few pics of Otto Graham, nothing special.

Otto1950.jpg

Nothing special? I beg to differ. Otto Graham wearing Chuck Taylor All-Stars is cool.

B)

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

On Cleveland Radio Station WKNR AM850, the host has offered a little "tid-bit" regarding the Browns. He stated that the Browns will wear a White Helmet for one game this year. The uniforms are from either the late 1940's or the early 1950's. I didn't catch the whole thing. The uniforms just about look the same as they do now... aside from the cut of the jersey.

Again.. for a one game thing, I like it. Although, the Browns have found a way to look even more plain.

Here are a few pics of Otto Graham, nothing special. Notice the numbers are orange on Otto Graham's #14 uniform...

Otto1950.jpg

Was this play called back on a facemask penalty?!

Personally, I think the white helmet would be cool for a one-off...just as long as they wear white jerseys, too...

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Was this play called back on a facemask penalty?

I believe in those days, that particular penalty was just called a "face."

And the Browns in white jerseys + white pants + white socks is already overkill. This particular throwback is enough to make even the Colts cringe.

I always wondered what would have been if Paul Brown had never put them in orange helmets for night games. They might have a white helmet with a stripe that matches their pants, which would look interesting, and pretty nice, if you ask me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I always wondered what would have been if Paul Brown had never put them in orange helmets for night games. They might have a white helmet with a stripe that matches their pants, which would look interesting, and pretty nice, if you ask me.

Agreed. If youre gonna go blank, you'd might as well go white.

The only thing I know about those days is that for night games the NFL used a white ball with brown stripes on it. This was usually not a problem because it was in the days before every team had a white jersey. The Browns wore their white jerseys all the time, except for night games...their first NFL game in 1950 was against the Eagles on a Saturday night, and I've seen pics of the Browns in the orange helmet/brown jersey combo, while the Eagles were in all-green, I think...it's hard to tell from b/w photos.

I believe the NFL stopped using the white ball in 1957, when they mandated that every team must have a white jersey, and that the home team must wear dark.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

The only thing I know about those days is that for night games the NFL used a white ball with brown stripes on it. This was usually not a problem because it was in the days before every team had a white jersey. The Browns wore their white jerseys all the time, except for night games...their first NFL game in 1950 was against the Eagles on a Saturday night, and I've seen pics of the Browns in the orange helmet/brown jersey combo, while the Eagles were in all-green, I think...it's hard to tell from b/w photos.

I believe the NFL stopped using the white ball in 1957, when they mandated that every team must have a white jersey, and that the home team must wear dark.

Right. The dark jerseys and orange helmets were adopted for night games so his players did not get confused (with the white ball among the normal white domes). I really hope they do orange numbers on this throwback. I've never seen that look before, and I think it would be really neat as a one-time deal.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I love the Chucks. I have worn nothing but Chucks for 2 decades. I would kill to see the team wear them at least for the warm ups or publicity shots with the throwbacks. That would be too cool.

20 years of wearing Chucks and youre not in a wheelchair yet?!!? I wear the things for an evening and my backs thrown out for three days. I would at least like to see some clever taping on the cleats to mimic the Chucks, but with knuckleheads like Braylon and the Soldieron the team, i dont know if they know what a Chuck Taylor is, let alone try to wear one.

Archived