2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

Tex to ANA for Kotchman and a minor leaguer (God I hope it's Wood)

It's not. It's AA RHP Stephen Marek. From the linked article above:

Marek, 2-6 with a 3.66 ERA in 34 relief appearances as a reliever at Class AA, eventually projects to be a member of the Braves' bullpen.

On a side note, as a Braves fan, I'm torn. I like the fact that Kotch will be around for a while and that we can start to fill in other "holes" (namely in the OF and in the rotation) but I did like watching Tex at Turner Field. It will work out for the best in the end.

I'd be interested to see where Will Ohman goes (hopefully nowhere) and I've heard rumors that Mike Gonzalez is on the block (another mistake in my opinion)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good... now we can put the Youkilis for Teixeira rumors to rest.

... but bad because the Angels have already been whupping our ass this year.

Are you serious? That would have been the best trade in history. Youk and Hansen for Teixeira. You think we couldn't re-sign him?

It's not. It's AA RHP Stephen Marek. From the linked article above:

Marek, 2-6 with a 3.66 ERA in 34 relief appearances as a reliever at Class AA, eventually projects to be a member of the Braves' bullpen.

On a side note, as a Braves fan, I'm torn. I like the fact that Kotch will be around for a while and that we can start to fill in other "holes" (namely in the OF and in the rotation) but I did like watching Tex at Turner Field. It will work out for the best in the end.

I'd be interested to see where Will Ohman goes (hopefully nowhere) and I've heard rumors that Mike Gonzalez is on the block (another mistake in my opinion)

:censored:.

Brewers-Halos, anyone?

I hope Theo does something. (although nothing like the Gagme deal.. that was painful and will continue to be until Engel Beltre retires...)

And I would think Atlanta would have wanted just a bit more?

I'm not too sad because he hasn't been around too long. Not long enough to get attached to the guy. So I will miss him (his reception when he had his first at-bat as a Brave was a Turner Field Moment?), but not that much.

In the meantime, WELCOME TO ATLANTA, Kotch.

Gonzalez is too shaky a closer, IMO. Every time he closs a game, he closes it in heart-attack style.

The Braves should have held out to see if the D-Backs would bend on CoJack or Tracy, but I guess they had to make some kind of deal before it was too late.

However, I wonder if the Angels really needed to make this trade. I wanna say the Halos have the best record in baseball still ... and as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

6uXNWAo.png

Are you serious? That would have been the best trade in history. Youk and Hansen for Teixeira. You think we couldn't re-sign him?

Youk for Teixeira? Two issues with that. First, the Red Sox would need to be allowed a window to negotiate an extension. He's a Boras client... no way he doesn't test the market. He's looking at a MONSTER deal. And second being that he hasn't been worth the money the Yankees and/or Mets are going to throw at him. Over the past two years, how much better has Teixeira been than Youkilis? 1, maybe 2 Win Shares? In fact, Youk's been the better of the two this year according to win shares.

Is Teixeira really worth the extra, like, $15 mill per year the Sox would have to pay him to lock him up long term over Youk? Youk has become one of the better 1B's in the league, and that's a lot of money for a minor "upgrade".

Sorry, I'd rather see that money going towards the bullpen or a frontline starter...

Not saying Youk's a better player... but Teixeira's getting overpaid by someone this offseason and I'd rather not give up Youk for the Red Sox to be that team.

IUe6Hvh.png

Anytime you get rid of Youk, fan favorite, club house guy, obp machine, fits perfectly in the scheme of things for a guy you don't really need and then toss in a pitcher who has the stuff but just hasn't found it yet it is NOT the best trade in history. Thank god he's an Angel now so Theo can focus on more important things, the bullpen and MAYBE the outfield.

Rumors of Saltamachia coming to the Bean is what I like to hear, which would solidify insurance for Varitek.

Apparently the Dodgers and Sox are in "substantive" talks involving Manny and Kemp... hmmmmmm

Mark Texiera is now an Angel.

I like the deal: We get a decent minor leaguer and a decent 1B in return for Tex. Very nice deal, IMO.

I guess this means that the earthquake we had today was caused by the Angel front office. They finally landed the big bat.

Now, my hope is that we let K-Rod walk at the end of the year and use the savings to lock up Tex. Not only will having more offense take away save opportunities, but I think Arredondo will do nicely in the role.

VmWIn6B.png

Youk for Teixeira? Two issues with that. First, the Red Sox would need to be allowed a window to negotiate an extension. He's a Boras client... no way he doesn't test the market. He's looking at a MONSTER deal. And second being that he hasn't been worth the money the Yankees and/or Mets are going to throw at him. Over the past two years, how much better has Teixeira been than Youkilis? 1, maybe 2 Win Shares? In fact, Youk's been the better of the two this year according to win shares.

Is Teixeira really worth the extra, like, $15 mill per year the Sox would have to pay him to lock him up long term over Youk? Youk has become one of the better 1B's in the league, and that's a lot of money for a minor "upgrade".

Sorry, I'd rather see that money going towards the bullpen or a frontline starter...

Not saying Youk's a better player... but Teixeira's getting overpaid by someone this offseason and I'd rather not give up Youk for the Red Sox to be that team.

Yes, they have been similar this season. In fact, Youk has been slightly better. According to my own deliberate calculations, Youk has been about 29% above league average hitting so far while Teix is around 28%. Most Sabermetrics will confirm that Youk has been slightly better this year (and they are similar defenders). However, Youk has shown time after time that he collapses in the second half of the season, while Teix actually improves his game. Therefore, we'd be getting a massive improvement at 1B for the remainder of this season. The fact that Teix is a SH, is one year younger, has more ML (and AL) experience all make it even better. Hansen hasn't shown us anything close to reassuring in his career and while I am optimistic about his future still, I don't feel that way about this season and maybe a fresh start will help that along. What's wrong with a guy like Hansack or Pauley in the pen for the rest of the year? Even Holdzklom or Haigwood. (Now here, though, is where I hate the FO for getting rid of Corey and especially Breslow).

As far as signing goes, no we won't get a window to sign him but in the offseason I think it would be worth it to re-sign a guy like him for the prime of his career, if he produces. Would it be any worse than Drew or Lugo? No to start with, and this would be more of a sure thing as well. I'd gladly keep him here for 3 or 4 years, even at up to $15 mil well. If the Yankees or Mets go too high, so be it. We probably got what we expected and even if we didn't win a WS, Lars isn't more than 2 years away after 2008 and how much did we give up to find out? Not much. Youk isn't going to improve any more and Lars should overtake him eventually, low-cost and controllable as he is. Hansen isn't contributing. We won't have to pay him much for 1/3 of a season. Plus, compensation picks!

Anytime you get rid of Youk, fan favorite, club house guy, obp machine, fits perfectly in the scheme of things for a guy you don't really need and then toss in a pitcher who has the stuff but just hasn't found it yet it is NOT the best trade in history. Thank god he's an Angel now so Theo can focus on more important things, the bullpen and MAYBE the outfield.

Rumors of Saltamachia coming to the Bean is what I like to hear, which would solidify insurance for Varitek.

Apparently the Dodgers and Sox are in "substantive" talks involving Manny and Kemp... hmmmmmm

I don't know, I don't like the guy as much as most people I guess. I explained above though, why you would be wrong. Was Mr. Garciaparra not a fan favorite? Look what happened when we traded him for 2-month rentals!

Salty I'm not sold on. I'm thinking his time with the Braves was a sort of a fluke. It depends on how much we give up for him, but I'm OK with Kottaras for a short while until we land Wieters. :D

Oh my God... if we can get Kemp for Manny long-term after this season... fap.gif

I was @ the Mets-Marlins game in Florida tonight (didn't come down here for the game...but while they were playing here, how could I NOT have gone?) and now really hope the Mets at least try to upgrade their bullpen by the deadline, because as presently constructed, it is way too inconsistent, and is of course a huge risk come playoff time should the Mets make it there. If the asking price for someone like Fuentes were to drop or someone of the like, then I'd have to seriously consider it...

...and here's some photos from the game tonight:

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l48/njme...ly%2028%202008/

I'll be stunned if they dont get pen help. I hear they may get Brian Tallet of the Jays.

Well I hear he's going to the DL...so...

Mr. Tallet broke his toe while walking around his bedroom in the dark the other night; hopefully by the time he comes back he's got the big beard again.

Maybe he wont be out too long, but I think he will fit the Mets perfectly.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Mark Texiera is now an Angel.I like the deal: We get a decent minor leaguer and a decent 1B in return for Tex. Very nice deal, IMO.
I guess this means that the earthquake we had today was caused by the Angel front office. They finally landed the big bat.

Now, my hope is that we let K-Rod walk at the end of the year and use the savings to lock up Tex. Not only will having more offense take away save opportunities, but I think Arredondo will do nicely in the role.

Please, keep K-Rod, don't let the Mets have him.

LvZYtbZ.png

Mark Texiera is now an Angel.

I like the deal: We get a decent minor leaguer and a decent 1B in return for Tex. Very nice deal, IMO.

I saw Tex to Anaheim, and I was like ":censored: YEAH!!!!"...

Then I saw the name 'Kotchman' in the deal, and immediately, I said ":censored:" without the following "yeah". I'm glad to have the big bat, but man, am I gonna miss Kotch. Looks like I might have to follow the Braves a little bit now. He's gonna be an absolute stud for Hotlanta down the road.

Yes, they have been similar this season. In fact, Youk has been slightly better. According to my own deliberate calculations, Youk has been about 29% above league average hitting so far while Teix is around 28%. Most Sabermetrics will confirm that Youk has been slightly better this year (and they are similar defenders). However, Youk has shown time after time that he collapses in the second half of the season, while Teix actually improves his game. Therefore, we'd be getting a massive improvement at 1B for the remainder of this season. The fact that Teix is a SH, is one year younger, has more ML (and AL) experience all make it even better. Hansen hasn't shown us anything close to reassuring in his career and while I am optimistic about his future still, I don't feel that way about this season and maybe a fresh start will help that along. What's wrong with a guy like Hansack or Pauley in the pen for the rest of the year? Even Holdzklom or Haigwood. (Now here, though, is where I hate the FO for getting rid of Corey and especially Breslow).

As far as signing goes, no we won't get a window to sign him but in the offseason I think it would be worth it to re-sign a guy like him for the prime of his career, if he produces. Would it be any worse than Drew or Lugo? No to start with, and this would be more of a sure thing as well. I'd gladly keep him here for 3 or 4 years, even at up to $15 mil well. If the Yankees or Mets go too high, so be it. We probably got what we expected and even if we didn't win a WS, Lars isn't more than 2 years away after 2008 and how much did we give up to find out? Not much. Youk isn't going to improve any more and Lars should overtake him eventually, low-cost and controllable as he is. Hansen isn't contributing. We won't have to pay him much for 1/3 of a season. Plus, compensation picks!

I don't know, I don't like the guy as much as most people I guess. I explained above though, why you would be wrong. Was Mr. Garciaparra not a fan favorite? Look what happened when we traded him for 2-month rentals!

Salty I'm not sold on. I'm thinking his time with the Braves was a sort of a fluke. It depends on how much we give up for him, but I'm OK with Kottaras for a short while until we land Wieters. :D

Oh my God... if we can get Kemp for Manny long-term after this season... fap.gif

Even with Youk's second half struggles, over the past two years, the numbers don't favor Teixeira as much as one would think. Besides, Youk's, as you agreed to, has been the better player in the American League... against American League pitching.

I just don't see a need to throw large amounts of money ($20 mill+) at a minor improvement? Teixeira's good, but he's not worth his own hype. Here's his VORP ranks among 1B...

2007 -- 15th

2006 -- 7th

2005 -- 4th

2004 -- 6th

2007 slipped because of injury, but come on. He's not worth the money he's going to get and he's not worth giving up Youk for a rental.

Youk + an extra $15 million laying around > Teixeira any day of the week.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived